Am I doing Keto right?

Matt4p

I started a Keto diet 10 days ago. So far I have advanced 1 belt loop (in the right direction) but I have not lost any weight. I use Ketosis test strips which have shown me to be at the high ketosis end of the scale since day 3.

Why am I not losing weight?

My diet ingredients are pretty bland at the moment. I've been eating bacon, eggs, cheese based meals, steaks, occasional chicken, occasional sausages (low carb pork) and small servings of veg which has been avocado, brocoli, sprouts. A couple of days I've had a bulletproof coffee with butter and MCT oil. I'm cooking most meat with coconut oil.
I'm a coffee drinker so have been having about 3- 4 coffees per day with either full fat milk or double cream.
If I feel I need a snack, I've been having a baby bell cheese.

In this last 10 days my trips to the toilet for a no:2 have been quite infrequent and minimal.

The one thing I know I have to work on is water consumption as I have to force myself to drink it.

Any tips? Any holes in my understanding of keto that you can see? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you’re doing just fine. If your belt has gone down a loop, that’s as a good a sign as weight loss - we often recommend that people don’t just rely on the scales.

More to the point, how is your blood glucose doing?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In this last 10 days my trips to the toilet for a no:2 have been quite infrequent and minimal.

That's fairly normal following the less stuff in less stuff out principle..and your body using more of the food you are giving it.

So far I have advanced 1 belt loop (in the right direction)

Body changes can often precede weight loss.. how much are you expecting to lose?

The one thing I know I have to work on is water consumption as I have to force myself to drink it.

Why do you think you need more water? Coffees are water too .. I only drink coffee and tea and one glass of water per day.

Hope that helps a bit..

Matt4p

I would love to lose 2 stone. It may take a while and I may have to amp up the exercise.
I'm pleased you think my diet is in the right direction. I've been pretty strict with myself as I don't want to undo what I've done and drop out of ketosis. I just imagined I'd have started losing weight by now.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to lose 2 stone. It may take a while and I may have to amp up the exercise.
I'm pleased you think my diet is in the right direction. I've been pretty strict with myself as I don't want to undo what I've done and drop out of ketosis. I just imagined I'd have started losing weight by now.
Depending on how you have been eating in the past it might be that your body is taking time out to repair itself from past damage. Once that is done you may well find that weight loss can start.
2 Stone isn't a whole lot (I'm down 8) so it might take longer.
As @Goonergal said keep on measuring as body composition can change but might not be seen on the scales.

Matt4p

Depending on how you have been eating in the past it might be that your body is taking time out to repair itself from past damage. Once that is done you may well find that weight loss can start.
2 Stone isn't a whole lot (I'm down 8) so it might take longer.
As @Goonergal said keep on measuring as body composition can change but might not be seen on the scales.

Thank you!
8! That's amazing. Well done!!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I think it took me a couple weeks before I started loosing water. It takes some time… here is my progression when I started by year and month

DBDEC92E-36D2-437E-86EA-C5D023CDBE00.jpeg 459C9D5D-DE54-447D-85A5-49307E92F4FD.jpeg

Reactions: Matt4p

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in my twenties people - mostly women - would not believe that at my weight 147lb, I could fit into a size 14 skirt - my suede and leather minis would make a good sized handbag.
I even invited them to try on my clothes from time to time.
I was just rather muscular and athletic and they were not so my volume was less than theirs even if my mass was greater.
If your shape is changing that might indicate that things are correcting themselves due to the alteration in diet, and once straightened out, your metabolism will get going again.

Reactions: Matt4p