Drug-induced type 2 diabetes

ecorbett2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This may well have been discussed elsewhere, and if so I apologise for not being able to add this in the appropriate place. Basically I'm wondering how common my experience is following my diagnosis of type 2 diabetes back in October last year, and whether it's common knowledge that certain drugs can cause the onset of diabetes.

In my case the drug in question is opremazole, prescribed to reduce the level of stomach acid, and which in postmarketing has in rare cases been found to cause pancreatitis. I'd be happy to go into more detail if it wouldn't be a waste of everyone's time.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. I had heard of the statins connection but not the PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) which are very commonly prescribed. I have a friend who following a transplant and high doses of steroids, developed diabetes and is rather fed up that he wasn't warned of the risk.
Re omeprazole, although it does reduce stomach acid and relieve the symptoms of reflux,they are hard to come off and don't solve the root cause (insufficient stomach acid meaning that the valve at the top of the stomach does not close properly hence the acid burn) and mean that the absorption of key minerals and vitamins is impaired. But they are really hard to come off apparently.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have been taking steroids for several years and now have drug induced diabetes but was also prescribed PPI as a stomach protector to guard against some of the effects of the steroids double whammy oh and was also prescribed statins which I also took for a long time triple whammy.

When I asked my neurologist why it wasn't explained to me at the out set he merely said controlling my MG is far more important than the possibility of diabetes.

Reactions: Freema

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thank you. I had heard of the statins connection but not the PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) which are very commonly prescribed. I have a friend who following a transplant and high doses of steroids, developed diabetes and is rather fed up that he wasn't warned of the risk.
Re omeprazole, although it does reduce stomach acid and relieve the symptoms of reflux,they are hard to come off and don't solve the root cause (insufficient stomach acid meaning that the valve at the top of the stomach does not close properly hence the acid burn) and mean that the absorption of key minerals and vitamins is impaired. But they are really hard to come off apparently.

My gastroenterologist told me as I had full stomach erosive gastritis and unable to tolerate PPI's to stop eating anything with tomatos, onions or garlic in.
He was absolutely spot on.. stomach good now and no need for any PPi's.
There is a need to look at every label though if buying anything processed (very little in my home) as onion powder can appear in foods not expected and onions ate in soup and tomates appear in lots of food too.

Never looked back since stopping these ingredients.

I also take oil of oregano for helping the healthy bacteria in my stomach... and keeping my blood thin. But before taking you must consider and check if these health vitamins react with any meds... ie warfarin etc and they must be stopped 7 days before any operation...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Watching this thread with interest. Hubby is on omeprazole and we had no idea about the risks. A few months ago, out of the blue the pharmacist phoned him to tell him they were halving his dose.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also following with interest. I have been on Esomeprazole another PPI for years, since way before my diabetes diagnosis :wideyed:

ecorbett2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can only speak for myself, but when I was admitted to hospital because my blood sugar level was so high that I had almost completely lost the use of my legs my omeprazole was stopped immediately, without any ill effects. Although it's within the bounds of possibility that because I was feeling so bad at the time I didn't notice whatever ill effects there might have been.

ecorbett2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Watching this thread with interest. Hubby is on omeprazole and we had no idea about the risks. A few months ago, out of the blue the pharmacist phoned him to tell him they were halving his dose.
I can only relate what happened to me, but it might help your husband and others recognise the signs, which I didn't at the time. I was first prescribed omeprazole prophalytically ( I didn't and don't have any problems with stomach acid reflux) in about July last year. Everything seemed fine at first, but then after a month or so I began to get really severe cramps in my hands and legs, so painful that it would wake me up if it happened during the night. At the time I was on a reduced salt diet, so I put the cramps down to a lack of salt, but I now know that cramp is a fairly common side effect of omeprazole. About a month after that my distance vision started to become a bit blurred, and I had episodes of a day or so of raging thirst. Although I knew that unusual thirst can be a symptom of diabetes I really didn't think too much about it, as after a day or so everything would return to normal.

But gradually things started to deteriorate, culminating in me losing all the strength in my legs and collapsing at a checkout in Tesco, completely unable to get up. I ended up in our local casualty department, where they quickly identified my problem as being caused by a very high blood sugar level, way up over 100 units. I was put on twice-daily insulin injections and things started to improve quite quickly, to the point where I was able to walk out of hospital with the aid of a stick after about a week or so. I kept taking the insulin for about three months, but had to keep reducing the dose to maintain my blood sugar in my target range until I was able to do without it completely. I've still got some of the symptoms that developed during my diabetic phase, such as a numbness and tingling in my feet,but that's getting better too.

So the good news for me was the effects of omeprazole reversed spontaneously and fairly quickly after I stopped taking it. My warning to others taking the drug is to keep a careful watch for any of the listed side effects, such as itchy skin, cramps and so on, and consider an alternative with your doctor as a matter of urgency should you encounter any of them. If I'd taken my own advice I wouldn't have ended up in hospital.

I'm sorry this is so long,but I just wanted to flag this issue up in case anyone else is in the same position that I was. I'll just add that all this happened without me making any changes at all to my diet, exercise regime or weight.

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is well documented that certain drugs, particularly beta blockers, statins, BP medications and certain blood thinners all contribute to higher blood sugar levels then onto LADA or T2 for example.

If the diabetes doesn’t get you, then the drugs will !

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I was diagnosed as steroid induced after taking steroids for a chest infection.. have to say, not had a chest infection since been diagnosed in 2018

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It is well documented that certain drugs, particularly beta blockers, statins, BP medications and certain blood thinners all contribute to higher blood sugar levels then onto LADA or T2 for example.
I agree that certain drugs, particularly statins, are renowned for raising blood sugars and potentially inducing or contributing to T2, but I'm curious as to where you get the link to LADA? Is this your personal experience? My understanding is that LADA is caused by autoimmune attack on insulin producing cells.

If the diabetes doesn’t get you, then the drugs will !
As a T1, I'm a big fan of insulin, it's extended my life span by over 50 years.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
interesting.
I'm on prescribed omperazole because I am also on naproxen as a pain killer following an injury. Apparently the former protects against the harm the naproxen does.
I think I'd better start coming off them. I was putting my higher than usual fbg down to lack of exercise

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think I'd better start coming off them. I was putting my higher than usual fbg down to lack of exercise
Stress and pain will push your blood sugar levels up. I wouldn't necessarily blame the drugs.

Reactions: MrsA2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
interesting.
I'm on prescribed omperazole because I am also on naproxen as a pain killer following an injury. Apparently the former protects against the harm the naproxen does.
I wouldn't be so quick to blame either the omeprazol or the naproxen.
The injury itself could well be the culprit, and reducing painkillers too early can be very detrimental. Omeprazol is to protect your stomach while you're on naproxen, and it can be very beneficial.

Please don't decide to reduce needed medication based on this thread, none of the posts constituate a proper study. If you want to reduce, consult your HCP to speak about the benefits and risks.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 I’d second what @Antje77 says. Please don’t put yourself at risk of more pain when it could indeed be the pain that’s causing your increased blood sugars.

From my own research, it appears that most of the so called ‘links’ between Omazeprole/PPIs and high blood sugars come from observational studies showing ‘associations’ between omeprazole and chance of developing diabetes. You know, the sort of thing that doesn’t take account of what people are actually eating! I wouldn’t put a lot of store by those.

On the other hand, there are some more evidence based studies which appear to show improved glycaemic control with this type of medication:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S165836122030038X

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4549663/

(Edited for typos and emphasis)

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsA2 and EllieM

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Naproxen and Esomeprazole on and off for my arthritis and don’t notice any difference in blood sugars when I’m taking them.

Reactions: Sling12

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have often wondered if I have drug induced diabetes. I never had problems with my HbA1c until I was diagnosed with an eye condition called uveitis in 2006. At first I only had steroid when I had a flare up but in 2008 I was put on them permanently until 2019. I was not diagnosed with diabetes until I had been permanently on steroids for 4 years. My diabetes gradually got worse even though I had definitely adjusted my diet and I was put on insulin in 2015. In June 2019 I was taken off steroids and by December 2019 my HbA1c had gone down to 22 so I was taken off all diabetes medication. Because of the pandemic and me being hoysebound, my HbA1c was then not checked till last Friday when it was 46 and I have to speak to the diabetic nurse soon. Quite clearly my developing diabetes initially was to do with steroids, but it isn't now, so I am going to have to work out how best to keep it under control. I am now on 4 x 500g metformin per day as in January my blood sugars started going up again possibly because I was put on amitryptiline because of restless legs syndrome in December.