LADA & much more

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone

This is my first post. My name is Nick and I am currently being screened for LADA & Pancreatic cancer following blood sugar levels being off the chart ! Am glad to join your community and learn about what’s going on with my body. And also to contribute to what I think about the ‘diabetes industry’. And let’s face it, after my experience and reading so far, it is definitely an ‘industry’. I’ve discovered lack of communication between differing health teams (in my case cardiology & diabetic teams), conflicting opinions about medications, emphasis on foot care & how many Jersey new potatoes I can eat and the rigmarole of blood sugar testing.

I’ve read about how to drive my blood sugar down and also how you can get the pancreas to reset itself and start producing insulin again. It’s a mind boggling subject and you can easily get sucked in by misinformation, poor advice and make you fearful of your own mortality. I was indestructible - or so I thought !

In September’19 I suffered heart failure having contracted a well documented virus from a hotel air conditioning system in Bermuda. My heart electric circuit misfired and I had to have a cardiac ablation to fix things. Six hours on the slab and 18 months later my heart is beating as it should. So, my question is; has anyone suffered a cascade effect following treatment for another health issue ? And is LADA perhaps a consequence of medical/medications interventions ? Look forward to reply’s - thx - Nick

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Nicknackwack Hi and welcome to the forum.
I wish somebody with more knowledge than I had replied to you, but feel you may find what little I know to be of use.

1. Yes, there are some medications which can cause auto-immune disfunction.
2. They tend to be ones for cancer rather than for heart failure.

I suffered what may be called a cascade effect following a health issue:
About 25yrs ago I was nagged into eating lower Fat/higher complex Carb. Then 5 yrs ago (having gained about 14 lbs, I was diagnosed in danger of imminent heart attack (by angiogram) and had 3x Cardio Artery Bypass.
Drs advised doubling down on Low Fat/High complex carb /high fruit& Veg way of eating + statins, BP drugs (despite low BP) etc.

Result was gained around another 14lbs and diagnosed T2D 2 yrs ago. Drs gave same spiel as before, but this time I wasn't dumb enough to fall for it.
Found this forum, went Low Carb reduced HbA1C (non-diabetic range) plus back to what I weighed in my 20's ( currently 70 yrs old).

Reactions: TooSweetForMe

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
1. Yes, there are some medications which can cause auto-immune disfunction.
2. They tend to be ones for cancer rather than for heart failure.

That is really interesting. Have you got a link or more information on this? (I've been told that the autoimmune condition T1 diabetes could be triggered by a sudden stressful event (eg car accident) or a virus or an illness, but hadn't heard the medication one. TBH, they seem to still have very little idea what causes T1.)

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thx Ian & Ellie for your replies. Much appreciate your input & experience.

Ian - totally empathise and agree with your points and definitely agree with you about the cascade effect following a health event which seems to trigger a diabetes diagnosis autoimmune or otherwise. And, just like you, I was also offered a triple bypass as a prognostic operation which I declined once I got a 2nd opinion and did my research thoroughly. Fortunately I am being carefully monitored. But I absolutely concur with your observation that some meds can trigger an autoimmune response - in my case a beta blocker. Great for protecting the heart but the flip side is that it can cause side effects, high BS being one of them.

Ellie - yup it is an interesting subject. I don’t have a link to hand but your own research will draw up interesting findings centred around medical research papers. Stanford university is perhaps the most professional and prominent. It’s certainly not all about lifestyle and diet and autoimmune dysfunction ! And I think you’ll find some good reading concerning the wider consequences of certain medications that are attributed to LADA for example. But what I do know is that it isn’t an exact science. Interestingly current data does show how diabetes diagnosis has gone up exponentially since the pandemic. Why is that ?