Surviving without insulin

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How long can I reasonably expect to survive without insulin given that doc prescribed me 6 units a day and the last injection was Thursday night (usually do it about 10pm).

Basically I moved from London to Wigan but forgot to pack the insulin. I had my sister send it by Special Delivery yesterday for ‘guaranteed delivery’ today; just exploring my options if that RM service fails.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
A&E?

Presumably your meter will tell you when you really, really need some.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talk to a pharmacist. They should be able to get you an emergency supply, or know how to find one.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I know I did the same when I went to visit my mum , she lives in Wales and I live in Scotland , I went to the local doctor explained the situation and he gave me a prescription , as a result my car is now full of everything I need just in case .

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Use your meter and if it doesn't go above the teens you are OK. Better if below the teens but above it for while won't do any harm.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
How long can I reasonably expect to survive without insulin given that doc prescribed me 6 units a day and the last injection was Thursday night (usually do it about 10pm).

Basically I moved from London to Wigan but forgot to pack the insulin. I had my sister send it by Special Delivery yesterday for ‘guaranteed delivery’ today; just exploring my options if that RM service fails.

Many variables here

From are you t1 or t2

I’m guessing T2 as it’s only a small amount of insulin and I’m assuming it’s just to help get you levels down a bit???

If this is the case and you eat sensible you may go on for months or years..

You need to check your bg and ensure it does really go above 13 this is the point at which keytones tend to start showing.. but certainly if you are staying in the sub 10 you would probably be ok

You could try 111 so if they can help getting an emergency prescription

In fact you could call them anyway they can get a go to call you they will have access to your records and should be able to advise

Last edited: