What approach do you have to trying out foods you know might spike your levels ?

fendertele

Well to be fair I only tested the longer than 2 hour once I noticed morning levels impacted. If you see that it might be worth further testing

Ahh right got ya now.

So test after 1 hour and if below 7 then test again at 2 hour just to make sure it's not been delayed. If its went down lower than the 1 hour mark then im good and wont require another test?

If it's higher at the 2 hour mark than it was at 1 then do a further test at 4 hours and if this is needing to happen Ill know its not something to consume again.

Sound about right ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you suggesting instead of the rice just buy some onion or mushroom bahji to attempt to absorb some of the sauce up for consuming ?

?
Yes kind of .. well not onion bahji that has way too many carbs but a spinach, aubergine or mushroom dish would act to soak up some of the sauce with minimal carbs. And spoons were made to eat sauces.. but watch out for korma.. usually very sweet.
I'd have a tikka main with the veg for sauce.

Reactions: fendertele

fendertele

Yes kind of .. well not onion bahji that has way too many carbs but a spinach, aubergine or mushroom dish would act to soak up some of the sauce with minimal carbs. And spoons were made to eat sauces.. but watch out for korma.. usually very sweet.
I'd have a tikka main with the veg for sauce.

Yeah and the moment im eating with a spoon it feels like im having a curry soup :hungover:

The sweetness from most korma is it not usually from the cream or do they add sugar ? I watched them make ti once in front of me but cant remember what else they put through it is it coconut?

fendertele

So tonight my meal which is kind of a cheat but not a full one didnt wanna brave it.

Had a mixed kebab so chicken/lamb but also kebab meat which i know contains some carb ingredients to hold it together and then topped of with cheese and kebab sauce which im sure they put some sugar through as its spicy but also sweet.

Reading prior to meal = 5.2
1 hour = 6.4
2 hour = 6.5

Can I now add this to the safe to eat meal list ? or should i test again in 2 hours just to be sure as it's quite a high fat meal and may have a delayed rise ?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah and the moment im eating with a spoon it feels like im having a curry soup :hungover:

The sweetness from most korma is it not usually from the cream or do they add sugar ? I watched them make ti once in front of me but cant remember what else they put through it is it coconut?
Yes, coconut. But because it is so sweet (for a curry) I would think in most restaurants they have to put sugars in and something to thicken the sauce as you would a gravy. That adds to the carb total.

I make my own curry and it is quite simple to make a batch and portion it for freezing.
There is a recipe somewhere on the forum.

Reactions: fendertele

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So tonight my meal which is kind of a cheat but not a full one didnt wanna brave it.

Had a mixed kebab so chicken/lamb but also kebab meat which i know contains some carb ingredients to hold it together and then topped of with cheese and kebab sauce which im sure they put some sugar through as its spicy but also sweet.

1 hour = 6.4
2 hour = 6.5

Can I now add this to the safe to eat meal list ? or should i test again in 2 hours just to be sure as it's quite a high fat meal and may have a delayed rise ?
I love steak kebabs with grilled onions and mushrooms , with a side salad.
I'm hungry now!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

1 hour = 6.4
2 hour = 6.5

At those levels I suspect no pitta?
Those levels and the rise don't look bad at all to me
Meat is low carb, the salad should also be not bad
I keep meaning to try them :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol i know but I fancied a curry not a soup :p
Change your restaurant or make your own.! I increase the protein, minimise the sauce and have all the flavour and enjoyment and none of the cheap white fillers. Sometimes as a bit of a cheat I have a supermarket curry but add more chicken or other meat to it as thier proportions of meat to sauce are way out. This also saves money as we get one serving container for at least 2 of us, of not 3 .

Reactions: HSSS and fendertele

fendertele

At those levels I suspect no pitta?
Those levels and the rise don't look bad at all to me
Meat is low carb, the salad should also be not bad
I keep meaning to try them :)

Yeah no pitta and no salad but there was what looked like different peppers/onion kind of pieces and musthrooms with a mixture of meat but mostly kebab as you would imagine at the bottom as its the cheapest to fill it out.

Then covered in cheese and kebab sauce which i thought would be the big cause for any spike with the added sugar in the sauce.

Im happy with both test numbers but aware of what you said that there can be a delayed spike due to the high fat content... red meat and cheese.

So my next meal will be around ten/eleven which will then be 4/5 hours since I've eaten this to see if the delayed peak happens when i test before eating again.

fendertele

Change your restaurant or make your own.! I increase the protein, minimise the sauce and have all the flavour and enjoyment and none of the cheap white fillers. Sometimes as a bit of a cheat I have a supermarket curry but add more chicken or other meat to it as thier proportions of meat to sauce are way out. This also saves money as we get one serving container for at least 2 of us, of not 3 .

i'm really happy with my strict eating 6 days a week but just one meal on a sat/sunday would be nice to not do any cooking and order in or else I would have been up for home made curry.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you suggesting instead of the rice just buy some onion or mushroom bahji to attempt to absorb some of the sauce up for consuming ?
Onion Bhaji has loads of (chickpea?) flour to make it solid. Mushroom bhaji is mushrooms cooked a little sauce. Totally unrelated as far as I can tell other than the name.
I will occasionally throw some frozen veg bags into a plate depending on what im eating. or occasional chicken salad but not something I would usually look towards
I’m not surprised. Frozen microwaved veg is revolting to me. Fresh lightly cooked/steamed veg is a totally different offering and unrecognisable to the former.

Reactions: lucylocket61

fendertele

Onion Bhaji has loads of (chickpea?) flour to make it solid. Mushroom bhaji is mushrooms cooked a little sauce. Totally unrelated as far as I can tell other than the name.

I’m not surprised. Frozen microwaved veg is revolting to me. Fresh lightly cooked/steamed veg is a totally different offering and unrecognisable to the former.

Ill need to work on my kitchen skills right now im very much a george forman and microwave meal ready in 20 mins kind of guy... but ill need to get adventurous.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah no pitta and no salad
I have doner kebabs with no pitta once or twice a month. Loads of salad (mostly lettuce, cucumber and cabbage with a little onion) and a little garlic Mayo sauce. Yep there are a few minimal ingredients I wouldn’t normally choose but I figure the monthly amount is so small it’s worth it for that treat feeling with negotiable bgl rise.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ill need to work on my kitchen skills right now im very much a george forman and microwave meal ready in 20 mins kind of guy... but ill need to get adventurous.
It’ll definitely help. It’s not overly skilful.

In fact I do a lot veg in the microwave. Just peel chop etc as desired. Bung in a microwave safe dish with a little water (for steam not to boil in it ) and loosely cover. Microwave. Test regularly to see how done you like it in your particular microwave.
Or prepare and bung on an oven tray with some olive oil or ghee and whatever herbs/spices/seasoning takes your fancy and bake , maybe 20-30 mins on average at 180 degrees. Again test regularly til done to your taste.
Or slice cabbage and fry in butter/ghee til as soft as you prefer. Add peppers/mushrooms/garlic/salt and pepper etc to taste. I use this instead of rice/pasta a lot.