Student DSA grants

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been advised to apply for the DSA student grant due to having the type 1 diabetes, has anyone been successful in getting this solely from their type 1 diagnosis?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been advised to apply for the DSA student grant due to having the type 1 diabetes, has anyone been successful in getting this solely from their type 1 diagnosis?
I made an enquiry when I was a student in the 00s and I was told not to bother, but obviously, that was a while ago so things may have changed.

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m an AT (Assistive Technology) Trainer and I’ve been Type 1 myself for over 45 years. I frequently work with students who are Type 1 who have been awarded the DSA grant for the condition alone, or rather the impact it can have on a student eg Inability to concentrate during lectures etc. I strongly recommend that you go for the assessment as the support you can be awarded can make a significant difference to your studies and beyond. Good luck.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was assessed for both dyslexia & type 1 so not exactly in the same position. But it’s good to have it on file that you need time for medical appointments, that hypos can take you away from your studies & I certainly have a harder time concentrating since diagnosis. It’s a good back up if you even need extra time for an assignment.

It wasn’t applicable whilst working from home but the assessor did say I could apply for taxi reimbursement if I was struggling to travel to classes & dropping low.