Anxiety and T2 diabetes

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

I need some help and advice please, I'm a T2 diabetic diagnosed last November, my last HBA1C in May this year was down to 36, I lost 40 pounds with low carb diet but over the last few weeks I have been an absolute mess with my eating and drinking.

I had a breast cancer scare a few weeks ago, the 2nd in 2 years and although thankfully my biopsies were benign it has triggered my anxiety and depression to horrendous levels (I was diagnosed with clinical depression and severe anxiety in 2018). Unfortunately my response to this has always been to overeat very bad foods and drink lots of white wine which I have done again, I know it's so dangerous for my with the diabetes now but I just can't stop doing it. My drinking is now at a level where I can't remember sometimes what I did the night before and I've never been like that, I'm now on at least one bottle of wine a night. I'm signed off work just now due to the anxiety and waiting for telephone counselling through my employer which can't come quickly enough.

I know I need to stop this self-sabotage, I'm aware it's very likely slowly killing me, has anyone else been through this and if so how did you get back on track? Sorry if this sounds like a pity party, I'm just scared if I don't get this on track something bad is going to happen. I'm due to get another HBA1C next month, is it even worth getting this done when I know what a mess I've made here?

Maggie

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I need some help and advice please, I'm a T2 diabetic diagnosed last November, my last HBA1C in May this year was down to 36, I lost 40 pounds with low carb diet but over the last few weeks I have been an absolute mess with my eating and drinking.

I had a breast cancer scare a few weeks ago, the 2nd in 2 years and although thankfully my biopsies were benign it has triggered my anxiety and depression to horrendous levels (I was diagnosed with clinical depression and severe anxiety in 2018). Unfortunately my response to this has always been to overeat very bad foods and drink lots of white wine which I have done again, I know it's so dangerous for my with the diabetes now but I just can't stop doing it. My drinking is now at a level where I can't remember sometimes what I did the night before and I've never been like that, I'm now on at least one bottle of wine a night. I'm signed off work just now due to the anxiety and waiting for telephone counselling through my employer which can't come quickly enough.

I know I need to stop this self-sabotage, I'm aware it's very likely slowly killing me, has anyone else been through this and if so how did you get back on track? Sorry if this sounds like a pity party, I'm just scared if I don't get this on track something bad is going to happen. I'm due to get another HBA1C next month, is it even worth getting this done when I know what a mess I've made here?

Maggie
Hi Maggie
Firstly the HbA1c covers the last 3 months not just the last few weeks so it might not be as bad as you think, and if it’s a bit higher than you hoped for at least you know where you are at, and can improve for next time. I think you should have the blood test and it might start a productive discussion with your doctor or nurse. I know you are waiting for counselling but is there another organisation or someone you could confide in who you could talk to this evening?

Reactions: jjraak

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Maggie
Hi forgot to say huge congratulations on losing 40lb! That’s fantastic!

Reactions: jjraak

Maggie75

Thanks so much for your reply and message you sent, I appreciate it. I'm trying really hard not to let my emotions get the better of me today, so far I haven't even thought about a drink but I know when it gets to about 9pm all I'll want is a glass of wine. Can't remember very much about last night, my partner says I didn't come to bed until 2am and I ate an entire bag of popcorn! I remember eating but I must have passed out and not remembered it, that's really frightening and it should scare the heck out of me probably more than it does. I'm going to try and get back to work soon to get on some kind of an even keel, I won't drink when I'm working the next day so think I'll need to do that. Also will get my bloods done again in August, it'll be what it is and I'll need to face it. Thanks again for your advice.

Maggie x

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check out Jen Unwins new book "Fork in the Road". She goes into the psychological side of eating, and is a psychologist married to a low carb Doctor. She has been low carbing for years and fought her own addictions.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,

Maggie
What a scary time you've had.

Think that might have sent me to the edge as well.

But first things first..
You KNOW

You really do know what to do.

But God knows it isn't easy.

And I doubt cold turkey helps, because if you fail, the self blaming begins again, raising the anxiety, etc etc.

So....your drinking too much.

Ok let's manage the moment

If your going to drink to excess ( not judging, just saying. Have had personal experience, being the other partner)

Don't make it about next week next month

Its ONE DAY at a time.
So let's try to make that next day less harmful

Prep your food snacks.
Out all the sweetie things in bin..now.

Then buy appropriate snack for a T2D.
Pepperami, deli meat, cheeses, etc..

Now decide IF you want that drink in the house..
Maybe it's part of the lifestyle, maybe it's others who want it there.
.be honest, with yourself and others.

So if it's not in the house, what's the likelihood you'll buy some later on.

If you need to buy some, and can't limit yourself, choose a better drink
Vodka & slim line Indian tonic water, an ok drink for example.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

While you do have T2D, you also have to manage other issues, so be kind to yourself

Take a moment to try and slow down

Put back that first drink time.
Make it a challenge

And if you fail.....
Try again tomorrow.

In the meantime you'll be missing some of the rubbish you snack on..can't eat it if its not in the house right .

Hopefully.one of those moments will be the one where you cut back or even miss a night

Get time out with a friend or take
A night to pamper yourself.

The simple things we take for granted, that really do mean so much.

I can't make the anxiety go away, only you can manage that situation.

When I got attacks, I found the 1 to 1 helpful, but it was CBT that gave me the tools to slow things down, stop the mindless racing in my head.

Plenty of it online if you look.

So I don't judge,
certainly can't prescribe.

Just offering a small way to lower the tempo,
calm the storm and maybe right the ship,
maybe not today, but given the chance,
perhaps over a few days or a week or even more.

As for HBA1c.
I had an accident, got laid up for 3/4 months, I know I'm going to struggle matching previous HBA1c ..so have told docs to put mine back.

I do SEE the point of knowing....,
But I also see the bitter disappointment, when I get that higher score.

I'm still T2D, and I've waited this long since last one.
A little while longer won't kill me

I'd suggest delay, and get it done good or bad, when you are in better frame of mind to take in the news either way.

Unlikely, I'd say at this moment in time.

You know Only you can fix "you".
And We all face our own demons in our journey.

The nice thing is you know and feel confident discussing here.

Can't think of a nicer group of people to listen to our woes & offer good advice.

Best wishes life improves over the coming days & weeks .:)

Last edited: