I just need understanding of recent blood tests doctors not helpf

Sad21+

**Trigger warning**

Firstly I wanna apologise for not responding to my other posts. I had a mental break down. And I went back to my old ways of Self Harm. I've been in a really dark bad place. And barely holding on.so I'm sorry for the negative posts and sorry for not responding. I hope you are all well and doing ok ?

My mum had a blood test not fasting to check how blood sugar levels as she was diagnosed as diabetic last December. I got a text saying everything came back normal no need for intervention for now. I was completely confused and relieved but anxious . I phoned the secretary just repeated what the text said. So I sent a request asking the doctor to phone me. They just did I missed it. The phoned once sent a voicemail and said her blood test is normal. I phoned the secretary hoping to speak to a doctor they said no need her bloodtest is fine. I said but I don't understand what this means. I asked about her diabetes. She said your mum is gonna be diabetic all her life just keep giving her her meds and stick with the food I'm giving her. I said oh ok thankyou.

I cannot believe I missed the call. I feel so stupid and disappointed in myself. I also feel helpless confused and alone. We have no one in our lives to help us. And I feel tossed to the side.

Could anyone please explain her test results please. I don't know what this means. And the little bit of hope of had has just been trampled on.
All of this is so hard and isolating. It sucks when family and society doesn't care.

I would like to say thank you all for being my rock. I honestly think I would be alot worst if it wasn't for all of you. Thank you.
IMG_20210705_103454.jpg
IMG_20210705_103424.jpg
IMG_20210705_103326.jpg
IMG_20210705_103234.jpg
Screenshot_20210705-100843.jpg
Screenshot_20210705-100810.jpg

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I know that a long list of results like this can be daunting. Your Mum has been given a thorough overhaul and these are really good results! Most people would be delighted to have results as good as this!

Reactions: Sad21+

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The figures given in the square brackets are the normal range expected for the test so if you see say 5.8 [3 - 10] then the result , 5.8, from the blood tested is within the range 3 - 10 and is acceptable therefore does not require further investigation or medication. You have from the above a good set of results.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It looks to me that the HbA1C is 34mmol/mol which is an excellent result for a T2 diabetic.

Sad21+

I know that a long list of results like this can be daunting. Your Mum has been given a thorough overhaul and these are really good results! Most people would be delighted to have results as good as this!
Thank you for your advice and kind words. I really do appreciate the help. I needed to hear this. Thank you.

Sad21+

The figures given in the square brackets are the normal range expected for the test so if you see say 5.8 [3 - 10] then the result , 5.8, from the blood tested is within the range 3 - 10 and is acceptable therefore does not require further investigation or medication. You have from the above a good set of results.
Thank you for the break down. This is extremely helpful. Thank you so much.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sad21+ .

Great your looking out for mum.

Good results.

Not sure if you are the same, but my surgery had me on systems online, then pointed me to AIRMIDUK app.

If you wanted too, inside that app, You can search your medical records.
For me it shows all my blood tests amongst other metrics.

Underneath, it offers links to understanding what the test results mean.

Can be a bit dry, but it is pretty well laid out and I found it easy to understand most of it.

Be warned, I found I became a bit of a data geek.

However you could just look at the ranges to be reassured all is good, and look no further.

I hope life settles down for you and you find some peace with life.

Go gently .

Reactions: Sad21+ and EllieM

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Your Mum is so lucky to have you looking out for her interests. It says a lot about you being a wonderful support. So take care and look after yourself

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sad21+
Those results show how well you have been looking after your Mum. Maybe now its time to start looking after yourself so well too?

Dark Horse

It looks to me that the HbA1C is 34mmol/mol which is an excellent result for a T2 diabetic.
Although the message from the lab is that they detected something which may mean that the patient has a haemoglobin variant and that result can be used for monitoring (showing whether glucose control is improving or worsening) but that diabetes should have been diagnosed by a different method as the actual number may be inaccurate.

Sad21+

Although the message from the lab is that they detected something which may mean that the patient has a haemoglobin variant and that result can be used for monitoring (showing whether glucose control is improving or worsening) but that diabetes should have been diagnosed by a different method as the actual number may be inaccurate.
So does this mean the results are bad ? My mother has sickel cell trait. I was thinking it was that ?

Sad21+

@Sad21+
Those results show how well you have been looking after your Mum. Maybe now its time to start looking after yourself so well too?
I appreciate this. Thank you. But if anything I have learnt she may be fine now but something always happens. So I have to remain vigilant.

Sad21+

Hi @Sad21+ .

Great your looking out for mum.

Good results.

Not sure if you are the same, but my surgery had me on systems online, then pointed me to AIRMIDUK app.

If you wanted too, inside that app, You can search your medical records.
For me it shows all my blood tests amongst other metrics.

Underneath, it offers links to understanding what the test results mean.

Can be a bit dry, but it is pretty well laid out and I found it easy to understand most of it.

Be warned, I found I became a bit of a data geek.

However you could just look at the ranges to be reassured all is good, and look no further.

I hope life settles down for you and you find some peace with life.

Go gently .
I really do appreciate your advice and kindness. I'm definitely going to check that app. I really appreciate this. I hope one day peace can happen as well. Thank you very much. Please take care.

Sad21+

Your Mum is so lucky to have you looking out for her interests. It says a lot about you being a wonderful support. So take care and look after yourself
Thank you. But I could of been a better carer. But I'm trying harder now. I appreciate this.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
So does this mean the results are bad ? My mother has sickel cell trait. I was thinking it was that ?
Hi, you would be correct! Sickle cell is because of a change in the haemoglobin and would show up as a variant in blood tests.
Research has shown that having sickle cell trait can lead to a missed diabetes diagnosis but as your Mum has already been diagnosed this will not affect the accuracy of her HbA1c reading too much. She is still doing really well!

Last edited:

Sad21+

Hi, you would be correct! Sickle cell is because of a change in the haemoglobin and would show up as a variant in blood tests.
Research has shown that having sickle cell trait can lead to a missed diabetes diagnosis but as your Mum has already been diagnosed this will not affect the accuracy of her HbA1c reading too much. She is still doing really well!
Ok brilliant I was getting worried. Thank you for explaining this.

Sad21+

Honestly thank you for this.