Other People's Reactions

KikiDSunshine

Hi there

I am new to this forum and a relatively newly diagnosed diabetic T1 - was diagnosed last Christmas.

One of the most frustrating things I've found is how no one believes me when I repeat what doctors have said (i.e. that it *is* ok to still eat chocolate) and like today when my blood sugar has been super high because i feel fluey my mum clearly doesnt believe the two are related. Also I am constantly being told off when I eat by my bf and other people who think they know better than I do. And at work I am exhausted all the time and performing badly but they dont seem to accept it's related to my diabetes.

Sorry a bit of a rambly post.

Kiki

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
People will never truly understand.

I just say to them my Pancreas can't produce (enough) insulin to cope with meals like ordinary folk do. So where their bodies naturally produce insulin normally throughout the day and night, we can't. (or for Type 2s, it doesn't work properly.) Without insulin, high sugars lead to a "serious situation".

That usually shuts them up. Thankfully people around me don't dictate much although they do ask questions 'can you eat that?' 'are you allowed?' And they still don't (yet) appreciate that when I near a hypo I may not be very responsive or helpful.

I just simply say I can eat whatever I want (within reason, although cakes, biscuits and choc send me very high so I avoid/minimise those) I then go on to my typical Pancreas line... :lol:

I assume you're eating a healthy diet regardless? I stick to low GI and veg protein for lunch and usually a light low GI breakfast. I then have 'normal dinner' (but with smaller potatoes, pasta, rice portions than my husband). I certainly don't feel I need to restrict myself, I should try to be HEALTHY even those without Diabetes should!

I have to keep a diary for everything as I'm newly diagnosed, but it certainly is helping me and my Diabetes team to assess, adjust and advise.

I must admit I did raise my eyebrows a few times when the Diabetes nurse was talking about 'when you have a Mars Bar...' and I thought I've not eaten a full bar of any chocolate in years! I think they're just trying to make you feel normal rather than restricting or dictating to you what to eat especially if you're young.

They know we've got hassle enough with managing the Diabetes so I think they mean well. Obviously they should not be advocating an unhealthy diet. :D

Maybe you should take your BF along to your appointments? I've taken my sister and my husband along and neither have told me what to eat.

Good luck and rant away here with us!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I agree with what you say about people (as well meaning as they are) thinking they know better on how best to cope with diabetes :D

KikiDSunshine said:
And at work I am exhausted all the time and performing badly but they dont seem to accept it's related to my diabetes.

You shouldn't be exhausted all the time unless your job is very physical and demanding and certainly diabetes isn't the cause, have you mentioned this exhaustion to your diabetes consultant or gp and had any tests carried out?

Tracey69

Hi and Welcome,
I wouldn't eat a lot of chocolate if you have high sugars and you should and i think your doctor needs to send you to see a dietician as they will help to guide you,
Your right about feeling fluey this will make your sugars rise, and so will stress. Infection will also make your blood glucose level rise.
I think your mum and friends need to look up diabetes.
take care
Tracey

Unbeliever

I know what you mean Kiki. Its odd isn't it? People don't like to have their pre-conceptions challenged do they? They all know bbeter than you what you should be eaing or drinking.

I once asked someone who was very vociferous about this why he seemed to take my die so personally. The answer was a bi cofused but I gathered that his idea odf diabetes was that those with the condition must not eat or drink anything in the least pleasant otherwise everyone might as well be diabetic.!

One of the consequences of brainwashing the public into believing that diabetes is related solely to diet and can be reversed by altering one's eating habiits.

As you say you are fairly newly diagnosed. You will have o educate them all. Maybe you can ge some literature from your surgery or from DUK?
Just tell them they are not helping you! I agree its a good idea to take them along to your appoimtments .

carbman

Hi Kiki

and like today when my blood sugar has been super high

And at work I am exhausted all the time and performing badly but they dont seem to accept it's related to my diabetes.

High BG numbers can leave diabetics feeling exhausted, tired and sleepy. Look around the forum, lots of good information on how to reduce BG numbers safely.

All the best.

Pneu

Being Type 1 doesn't mean that you must change or diet or that you have to avoid certain foods... however avoidance or reduction of carbohydrate will certainly help to control your blood sugars.

As carbman says high blood sugars will certainly make you tired and sleepy, if you are testing regularly (4 - 6) times a day and you aren't getting readings above 8 - 10 mmol/l then I would certainly go to your doctors to get the tiredness checked out.. if you frequently have readings over 10 mmol/l then this would certainly contribute towards tiredness and at the end of the day is doing long term damage to your health.

SueR

Some of the people we know are always telling us it's due to being over weight, poor diet, etc, etc. They also say we should not be eating anything with sugar in it. It's pointless even discussing the subject with them, because they know better.

Having two people in the same house with diabetes makes us an easy target, so we just ignore any negative comments. There's a lot of amature doctors out there and some very ignorant people with it.

Our 'Friends' accept us for who we are and not what we eat.