Steady line through the night

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I used to have a pretty much straight line as I slept (on the Libre) but recently it’s all over the place! I haven’t changed dinner time meals or anything but have had a few issues trying to get my basal right - would this be the problem or could it be the warmer weather? I’m passed the ten days of wonky high bloods due to my period and things haven’t improved. I seem to go up and down from 6 to 9 all night, it’s like a mini mountain range, when I used to stay steady between 5-6. I do need more basal when I’m premenstrual but as I’m on Tresiba I can’t increase it (have an app to try and work out my cycle trends)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Is it possible that you have been restless and intermittently laying on the Libre sensor. What do the peaks and troughs look like - sharp 'pointy' changes or smooth changes over a couple of hours?

Reactions: JMoli

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible that you have been restless and intermittently laying on the Libre sensor. What do the peaks and troughs look like - sharp 'pointy' changes or smooth changes over a couple of hours?

Thanks, maybe it’s that - quite sharp pointy up then a wee bit down then up then sharp down etc. My quality of sleep is rubbish just now, I definitely feel restless through the night

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @JMoli I second Urbs advice about pressure on the libre as it can cause what appears to be peaks and troughs, is it positioned so that it could be slept on at any point ? I get the same with my G6 and get what appears to be peaks and troughs too with this. Tresiba is the best basal imo for maintaining a steady profile during the night, however I still avoid eating 3 hours before bed to avoid any rises/falls with my bolus action during sleep when possible.

Reactions: JMoli

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @JMoli I second Urbs advice about pressure on the libre as it can cause what appears to be peaks and troughs, is it positioned so that it could be slept on at any point ? I get the same with my G6 and get what appears to be peaks and troughs too with this. Tresiba is the best basal imo for maintaining a steady profile during the night, however I still avoid eating 3 hours before bed to avoid any rises/falls with my bolus action during sleep when possible.
Thanks, I’m so glad I asked, it would make sense as I do feel so restless when I sleep just now. The Libre is on the back of an arm but yes I could be sleeping on it when I’m moving around so much. I do love Tresiba but it’s tricky to change when I’m premenstrual, ideally I need to go up a unit for a week, so I’m trying to chart when to attempt this with an app.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks, I’m so glad I asked, it would make sense as I do feel so restless when I sleep just now. The Libre is on the back of an arm but yes I could be sleeping on it when I’m moving around so much. I do love Tresiba but it’s tricky to change when I’m premenstrual, ideally I need to go up a unit for a week, so I’m trying to chart when to attempt this with an app.

I have to admit this was the trickiest part of managing my control as I couldn't predict with much accuracy when premenstrual would hit except when my levels were going north and I had to keep doing bolus corrections, then it would drop dramatically within a day of starting my period. I now use a Tandem slim pump so it feels much easier to manage this, as the Tandem automatically adjusts my basal in line with the readings from the G6. For a female this pump has been an eye opener to me as it's helped me cope much easier each month, if I was in your shoes i'd get in touch with my DSN to talk through how this monthly cycle could be managed, getting your DSN on side is vital, it's also helped with sleep as I get much more stable control during the night and better quality sleep.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes have straight lines, sometimes it goes in all directions when sleeping.
quite sharp pointy up then a wee bit down then up then sharp down etc. My quality of sleep is rubbish just now, I definitely feel restless through the night
For me, I always see a peak and drop again when I've woken up during the night. My guess is it being my helpful but sleepy liver thinking "oh, getting up? let's do some glucose!" And when I go back to sleep it must be falling asleep again as well.

So it could be you have something like that going on as well if your nights are restless.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I sometimes have straight lines, sometimes it goes in all directions when sleeping.

For me, I always see a peak and drop again when I've woken up during the night. My guess is it being my helpful but sleepy liver thinking "oh, getting up? let's do some glucose!" And when I go back to sleep it must be falling asleep again as well.

So it could be you have something like that going on as well if your nights are restless.

Only a humble T2 here but I see my BG pop up a bit over night and in the morning just before I wake.
Overnight for a wee, usually.
So I agree that it could be a minor liver dump due to restless sleep patterns.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Only a humble T2 here but I see my BG pop up a bit over night and in the morning just before I wake.
Overnight for a wee, usually.
So I agree that it could be a minor liver dump due to restless sleep patterns.
As far as I know, those liver dumps aren't a diabetes thing, it's just that it's actually helpful to get you going for the day when you're a non diabetic. Instant boost of energy to get you started!
So I'm pretty sure type of diabetes doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to the subject ;)
Except for this humble T1 being able to take insulin to get rid of those spikes of course, whereas most T2's (humble or otherwise) can only wait it out.