What a year, sleep apnea now

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Turned 50 last July, had TIA or mini stroke, then got Angina in October and ended up with a heart bypass in March followed by lots of lung complications/pluracy and a pulmonary embolism thingy, two weeks to finish off this terrible year and today get diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, apparently I stop breathing 37 times an hour lol, that’s just peachy,

Any known connection to DB? Anyone had this? Anyone taking bets on what else can go wrong in the next two weeks? :)

Sad21+

Turned 50 last July, had TIA or mini stroke, then got Angina in October and ended up with a heart bypass in March followed by lots of lung complications/pluracy and a pulmonary embolism thingy, two weeks to finish off this terrible year and today get diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, apparently I stop breathing 37 times an hour lol, that’s just peachy,

Any known connection to DB? Anyone had this? Anyone taking bets on what else can go wrong in the next two weeks? :)
I'm so sorry. I'm not smart enough answer your question . But I'm here if you wanna talk.

Reactions: jjraak and Fenn

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have sleep apnoea and use a CPAP machine each time I sleep.
I was diagnosed quite some time ago now, and the machines have improved in the time I have been using them - the masks are a lot better too. Without the device I snore terribly and feel tired as soon as I wake up. With it all is normal.

Reactions: Fenn and EllieM

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have sleep apnoea and use a CPAP machine each time I sleep.
I was diagnosed quite some time ago now, and the machines have improved in the time I have been using them - the masks are a lot better too. Without the device I snore terribly and feel tired as soon as I wake up. With it all is normal.
Thank you
I’ve slept terrible and little as far back as I can remember, just reading about it, the cpap I’m also getting might cure grumpiness, I do suffer from that lol

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I also have sleep apnoea and was diagnosed at about the same age as yourself 12 years ago. Have a CPAP Machine and was amazed at the difference in sleep and energy it made. Also made it a lot easier for my wife and visitors to sleep (snored like crazy). It will make a huge difference and be complimentary to your other health issues
Best of luck

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou, I have been told I snore louder than anyone else ever heard by several people, I’m so embarrassed by that I tend to avoid any situation where I will be heard, your starting to make me feel like this isn’t such bad news after all.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Thankyou, I have been told I snore louder than anyone else ever heard by several people, I’m so embarrassed by that I tend to avoid any situation where I will be heard, your starting to make me feel like this isn’t such bad news after all.

Yep some of my mates whom I went camping with or for an overnight footy trip used to call me chainsaw

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was told that in the sleep test I stopped breathing over 90 times in an hour - how is that even possible? Anyway, I've been using a cpap machine for over 10 years - no more embarrassing snoring, no more waking up gasping for breath, much more awake in the morning and better able to deal with life in general. I have an adapter and leads so I can run my machine off a 12v battery - great for static camping, but not so much for backpacking!

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM and muzza3

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow and I thought I was having a bad year. I also have no expertise but just hear to offer a listening ear (or a reading eye?)

Reactions: Fenn and EllieM

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine went away at much the same time as T2 went into remission.
Exactly similar to @bulkbiker above.
Wife now has to hit me to make sure I'm breathing.
Mine was weight related.
That’s interesting, everything I’ve read suggests the coal is for life, although I think I’m way beyond remission,it’s still good to hear, nice job you guys.

Reactions: jjraak

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that in the sleep test I stopped breathing over 90 times in a minute - how is that even possible? Anyway, I've been using a cpap machine for over 10 years - no more embarrassing snoring, no more waking up gasping for breath, much more awake in the morning and better able to deal with life in general. I have an adapter and leads so I can run my machine off a 12v battery - great for static camping, but not so much for backpacking!
Yikes, that’s a lot of not breathing, really good to hear positives, I saw it as totally negative, just goes to show that steeping back and taking a breath is usually a good idea (excuse the pun)

Reactions: jjraak and Skippy1

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine went away at much the same time as T2 went into remission.
It’s just occurred to me, how did you know it went away? I had no idea I had this, it was only due to my stay in hospital with all the monitors and nurses keep waking me up that highlighted the problem, did you have obvious symptoms?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s just occurred to me, how did you know it went away? I had no idea I had this, it was only due to my stay in hospital with all the monitors and nurses keep waking me up that highlighted the problem, did you have obvious symptoms?

I have a better half who noted that he was sleeping through the night because he wasn't being woken up by me stopping breathing and snoring like a foghorn. He had got accustomed to lying awake listening for me stopping breathing and was pretty pleased when it went away.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a better half who noted that he was sleeping through the night because he wasn't being woken up by me stopping breathing and snoring like a foghorn. He had got accustomed to lying awake listening for me stopping breathing and was pretty pleased when it went away.
Thanks, I burst out of sleep like I’ve been held underwater, sounds similar

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine went away with weight loss and as T2 went into remission. I stopped using the machine occasionally as an experiment and my wife said that I was no longer snoring. I had an overnight oxygen saturation test after an annual review at the sleep clinic which confirmed that I no longer had apnea.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I burst out of sleep like I’ve been held underwater, sounds similar
Oh yes that's another thing I sleep through the night now without waking breathless , had forgotten that one.

Reactions: Fenn

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, been using a CPAP since 2012, which is a year after my diabetes symptoms really got going. My cycle was about 90 seconds long, with about half of that not breathing. I now sleep through the night and don't feel sleepy at all during the day. They issued me a new machine last year, works very well, and Mrs A confirms the CPAP stopped the snoring - it would still be separate rooms otherwise. Be sure to get a comfortable mask and don't put up with what they give you if it isn't right for you. I have bought some extras direct from the manufacturers in China - exactly the same as what the NHS buys, just a lot easier than getting appointments these days. It took a bit of getting used to but second nature now, a bit of fat loss recently had helped too.

My prediction is you will now be hit by a meteorite while walking the dog.

best of luck

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, been using a CPAP since 2012, which is a year after my diabetes symptoms really got going. My cycle was about 90 seconds long, with about half of that not breathing. I now sleep through the night and don't feel sleepy at all during the day. They issued me a new machine last year, works very well, and Mrs A confirms the CPAP stopped the snoring - it would still be separate rooms otherwise. Be sure to get a comfortable mask and don't put up with what they give you if it isn't right for you. I have bought some extras direct from the manufacturers in China - exactly the same as what the NHS buys, just a lot easier than getting appointments these days. It took a bit of getting used to but second nature now, a bit of fat loss recently had helped too.

My prediction is you will now be hit by a meteorite while walking the dog.

best of luck
Thankyou, all good news :)

...not the meteorite, but wouldn’t stand to close to me if I were you lol

Reactions: Hopeful34 and zand