5 week wait to be seen at the hospital

jubbly10

Hello, i am in such a pickle. 3 weeks ago my 15y daughter was asked to do a fasting blood test as she was still getting low b12 effects( PINS AND NEEDLES TIRED ALL THE TIME SMOOTH TOUNGE). 1 year of b12 injections. Blood tests came back saying her B12 levels are sky high @1589. Her glucose levels was 5.8 then a HBA1c test came back at 51. She said that she was doing an urgent referral. appointment can through and its 5 weeks away. My concern is that since she has been told we got a testing kit from a friend and she has been doing her finger pricks for the past week and they have been between 9.8 - 15.8. I am so worried as she is coming home from school and sleeping from 4 o’clock until the morning. Her symptoms that she has are excessive tiredness that has got worse over a week, stomach pains in the right top side that are there constantly but when she eats its makes the pain worse and then she get the runny poos. Her mood has changed dramatically but we have been putting all of this down to being 15years old. She has a lot of health issues autism, hyper-joint mobility, many allergies to foods, tree & animals. Sorry for the long post. Over the past 8 months my daughter has been to A & E so many times that they know us by sight now. She has also had surgery to remove a pilondial cyst that has been slow to heal. Do you think 7 weeks wait for treatment is acceptable appointment time... this is the earliest appointment the hospital has. I under stand they cant magically make an appointment but i dont feel i can talk to my GP without feeling like I’m pestering as she has had to have a lot of telephone appointments only over this past year. Sorry to rant
Thank you all in advance for taking time in reading this.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you should call 111 (presuming you are in the UK), IF her sugar levels are that high and is developing T1 then she needs to be seen asap, not 5+ weeks away.
111 may direct you to A&E anyway, if its T1 it cannot be not dealt with for 5+ weeks.

Not trying to make you worried but If she starts throwing up and has a high sugar level, you need to head to A&E immediately

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Higher sugar levels are obviously a sign of something wrong. The problem becomes if she is developing type 1 diabetes it can become serious pretty quickly as we can go into DKA. It is a lack of insulin that causes it and high sugar levels can be a sign of that lack. You might want to get ketone test strips and see if she has ketones.

I am hoping you can get some more immediate attention by calling 111, but if she shows any of the signs of DKA you need to take her in for immediate care.

https://www.childrens.com/health-wellness/5-signs-and-symptoms-of-diabetic-ketoacidosis

https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/complications/dka-ketoacidosis-ketones

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My concern is that since she has been told we got a testing kit from a friend and she has been doing her finger pricks for the past week and they have been between 9.8 - 15.8. I am so worried as she is coming home from school and sleeping from 4 o’clock until the morning.

I agree with the others. Phone 111 and tell them these symptoms. 5 weeks is too long.

jubbly10

Hi thank you everyone for your advise. Her fasting test this morning was 9.4mmol going to call GP for an appointment (not holding much hope) as i hope to get a different GP. Will keep you all updated.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi thank you everyone for your advise. Her fasting test this morning was 9.4mmol going to call GP for an appointment (not holding much hope) as i hope to get a different GP. Will keep you all updated.
If you cant talk to an actual doctor today, you should call 111.
If it is T1 you do not have time to wait

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn’t wait at all. If you call 111 they will send you straight to A&E. Your daughter needs a ketone test (which the doctor can do) but also an acidosis test which can only be done at the hospital.

The combination of high blood sugars, ketones & acidosis is a medical emergency. Don’t wait any longer.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Stomach pain is a sign of ketones and DKA. Please look up DKA, as a Type 1 who has been in hospital with this please do everything not to let it get to that stage.
This is on google

‘Abdominal pain is a frequent DKA manifestation (present in 40-75% of the cases) and its prevalence increases as arterial pH and serum bicarbonate levels decline. Furthermore, abdominal rebound tenderness, suggesting the presence of an acute abdomen, affects 12% of DKA patients with abdominal pain [4].’

Has she been sick at all? Also a sign. I am told if my BG is 13 or over I have to check for ketones and take insulin immediately to avoid DKA, I know other diabetics could probably spike to 13 without any adverse effects but as a type 1 prone to DKA things can escalate to very serious quickly with me. If some of her readings are 15-16 you really need a ketone meter to be checking. Strips that you dip in urine are better than nothing but not as accurate as a ketone meter. Make sure you tell the doctor or 111 about the stomach pain.

I wouldn’t wait, I know you have been to the hospital and doctor often, but this needs to be taken seriously. Insist on a prescription for a ketone meter today or a nurse at the doctors surgery often have a couple in their office in my experience

I hope she gets seen quickly best wishes

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, i am in such a pickle. 3 weeks ago my 15y daughter was asked to do a fasting blood test as she was still getting low b12 effects( PINS AND NEEDLES TIRED ALL THE TIME SMOOTH TOUNGE). 1 year of b12 injections. Blood tests came back saying her B12 levels are sky high @1589. Her glucose levels was 5.8 then a HBA1c test came back at 51. She said that she was doing an urgent referral. appointment can through and its 5 weeks away. My concern is that since she has been told we got a testing kit from a friend and she has been doing her finger pricks for the past week and they have been between 9.8 - 15.8. I am so worried as she is coming home from school and sleeping from 4 o’clock until the morning. Her symptoms that she has are excessive tiredness that has got worse over a week, stomach pains in the right top side that are there constantly but when she eats its makes the pain worse and then she get the runny poos. Her mood has changed dramatically but we have been putting all of this down to being 15years old. She has a lot of health issues autism, hyper-joint mobility, many allergies to foods, tree & animals. Sorry for the long post. Over the past 8 months my daughter has been to A & E so many times that they know us by sight now. She has also had surgery to remove a pilondial cyst that has been slow to heal. Do you think 7 weeks wait for treatment is acceptable appointment time... this is the earliest appointment the hospital has. I under stand they cant magically make an appointment but i dont feel i can talk to my GP without feeling like I’m pestering as she has had to have a lot of telephone appointments only over this past year. Sorry to rant
Thank you all in advance for taking time in reading this.
Just a few more points that I hope will give you information to help, my B12 was sky high, they could not tell me why on my type 1 diagnosis (I was not taking any supplements); she has a wound slow to heal, also a sign; sleeping all the time is a sign of high blood glucose. Eating will be raising her blood glucose even more and IF the pain is DKA related it will be worse. Although checking out it’s not anything else would be wise. Good luck with getting her the right treatment.