Type 2 Blood Pressure

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
My BP readings pre diagnosis of type 2 were off the scale induced by anxiety and white coat syndrome which was off the scale. GP said if I lost weight (I have lost a tone of weight now), that I could come off the medication. My levels are roughly 119/66 mark, not sure how to approach the GP about it though guess I am frightened she will decline and say no to coming off them. I do feel dizzy occasionally and wonder if that's a sign I should be off them. My bmi is 24.1 now so really really chuffed and want to come off the bp meds. I know that you cant advise, just want an opinion, thanks x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a very ‘normal’ blood pressure so the GP should at least be receptive to a discussion, especially if you’re getting dizzy.

Well done you!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you - I am on a 8mg dose so hopefully she will agree :)

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you are giving your doctor too much power in my humble opinion, if you have an at home meter, nothing stopping you telling your doctor you intend to cut your meds and closely monitor your bp, or in my case do it without telling him/her.

Awesome job on the weight loss and other progress, well done you.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think you are giving your doctor too much power in my humble opinion, if you have an at home meter, nothing stopping you telling your doctor you intend to cut your meds and closely monitor your bp, or in my case do it without telling him/her.

Awesome job on the weight loss and other progress, well done you.
Thanks, to be honest I have to agree with you and my hubby thinks the same, but will give it a few more weeks and get in contact with her. My opinion is that I feel I don't need to be on them anymore and would like to see how I get on without them. I don't think she will like though lol

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Firstly you don’t worry about what the GP days as they can not make you do or take anything you don’t want

All they can do is advise you then you make a decision about whether to take that advice

My bp is typically 153/85. My gp has suggested for years I take medication for it.. and I say no he will advise me of the risks.

You could talk to them say you want to stop but will monitor from home and if it rises above the 130/80 you will discuss with them whether you wish to start them again

Some gp’s like to prescribe bp meds as they say it helps protect the kidneys

So certainly have a sensible discussion with them but at the end of the day it’s your decision

Reactions: EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do be careful - someone on the low carb forum had a bad fall after continuing to take BP lowering medication even though they were feeling dizzy. Several others have reported bangs and scrapes, but the bad one was on stairs and could have been even worse.
If your monitor is showing low numbers as well you really should contact your GP and not take risks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on two BP meds when I was diagnosed type 2. I lost a shed load of weight by low carbing and along with that my BP came down to normal levels. Since then I have dropped one BP med and halved the remaining one, however I did this after discussion with my GP. I think it’s always good for the GP to know what you’re doing to keep your records accurate, so I would suggest you discuss it with your GP, as @searley says it ultimately your decision. I too have ‘white coat syndrome’ so prior to any planned appt I take my BP twice a day for a week and he is happy to record an average of those.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks so much for all your replies. I will continue to take them - reluctantly :doctor: but see the GP in two weeks (she is off at the moment) armed with my stats and the interesting info. I have had the odd dizzy spell - only the odd few and dropping things and tripping a bit. My hubby and I thought I was just being more clumsy than normal! I will be careful, monitor as I have been and see the GP. If I get worse I will get in touch with the GP surgery. Thanks so much xxxx

Reactions: Rachox

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My BP readings pre diagnosis of type 2 were off the scale induced by anxiety and white coat syndrome which was off the scale. GP said if I lost weight (I have lost a tone of weight now), that I could come off the medication. My levels are roughly 119/66 mark, not sure how to approach the GP about it though guess I am frightened she will decline and say no to coming off them. I do feel dizzy occasionally and wonder if that's a sign I should be off them. My bmi is 24.1 now so really really chuffed and want to come off the bp meds. I know that you cant advise, just want an opinion, thanks x

I give my doc two weeks of home test results. I have white coat so bad, my doc just ignores the in office results. Maybe get a monitor and show your proof.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That BP is a bit low but it does depend a lot on your age; Google for BP graphs with age. In conjunction with the GP you need to do a test without the BP meds and test you BP at home. See what it is and perhaps you may need a lower dose or even none.