Oh, heck…

PurpleHippo

It’s all been a bit of a blur since I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. I’ve already lost half a stone, which is good, but today has knocked me sideways.

During the blood tests to diagnose me, it showed up that I was having problems with my liver, so my GP made an emergency appointment to have a sonogram scan done at the hospital, which fell today. During the scan, I found it quite painful as he was pressing down on the right hand side. On my way home, I was convinced that something would be wrong with it. My GP called me back within an hour and a half (!!) to tell me that I have a fatty liver, which they would monitor it regularly and hope that my change in diet would fix it. Fine. I can deal with that. However… the reason she was calling back so quickly was because they found a lump in my left kidney and mentioned the C word. She’s referred me for a CT scan and to the urologist for further investigation and to expect something within the next 2 weeks. I’m absolutely floored by this news…

I don’t drink or smoke but I am several stone overweight and I have a sweet tooth (which is probably what got me into this **** storm in the first place)

Has anyone else experienced anything similar or have any wise words of wisdom for me please?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear that you are worried about the scary big C. On the plus side perhaps your fatty liver has allowed the team to pick up something that otherwise wouldn't have been picked up until later.
If you are the kind of person that wants to know more then here's a Cancer Research page summarising kidney Cancer:
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/he...istics-by-cancer-type/kidney-cancer/incidence
Fatty liver is very common and is a precursor of type 2 diabetes as you may know. Losing weight and eating less carbs (from sugars to breads, pastas, rice and potatoes) will help your body use the extra fat you are storing in the wrong places that is causing your diabetes.
There is a link between obesity and cancer (not necessarily kidney which seems more age related) too and so anything that takes you back from the high insulin levels involved with diabetes will also help you lose weight . Insulin is a growth hormone (normally growing calories into fat) and cancers feed on glucose enabled by insulin so I don't think it is controversial to say that there's a link and a few researchers do see caner as a metabolic disease.
It may well be that you've got nothing to worry about but whatever you do from now that helps you lose diabetes and weight is likely to benefit your overall health and best manage many risks for 'lifestyle' cancers (the common ones being breast and bowel) as well as heart disease and the other complications of diabetes.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @PurpleHippo, I have no experience of this but just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. One thing I do know though, you have not caused this, sweet tooth or no! What you have done since diagnosis is to act and do something about it and that is to be applauded. If you are able to please let us know how you are. x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s all been a bit of a blur since I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. I’ve already lost half a stone, which is good, but today has knocked me sideways.

During the blood tests to diagnose me, it showed up that I was having problems with my liver, so my GP made an emergency appointment to have a sonogram scan done at the hospital, which fell today. During the scan, I found it quite painful as he was pressing down on the right hand side. On my way home, I was convinced that something would be wrong with it. My GP called me back within an hour and a half (!!) to tell me that I have a fatty liver, which they would monitor it regularly and hope that my change in diet would fix it. Fine. I can deal with that. However… the reason she was calling back so quickly was because they found a lump in my left kidney and mentioned the C word. She’s referred me for a CT scan and to the urologist for further investigation and to expect something within the next 2 weeks. I’m absolutely floored by this news…

I don’t drink or smoke but I am several stone overweight and I have a sweet tooth (which is probably what got me into this **** storm in the first place)

Has anyone else experienced anything similar or have any wise words of wisdom for me please?

PurpleHippo - What a day you've had. I can only imagine how you feel.

I doubt very much that the sonographer would be able to make much judgement on a lump on your kidney from the images available to him/her (although I could be wrong on that).

I imagine the reason your GP mentioned the C word was because he was ordering an urgent CT scan. The Big C access pathways have service times on "within 2 weeks".

All I can say to you is if there is anything to be concerned about, it is being picked up when you are well and asymptomatic. Fair play to the sonographer for raising concerns when viewing an unrelated part of your anatomy.

Right now, all I can advise is that you try not to panic until you know you have something to panic about.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I second the advice that the ‘c’ word has likely been used to facilitate an urgent referral.

Earlier this year my GP found some unexpected ‘lumps’ close to my liver during an examination for something unrelated. I was given a referral form with the ‘c’ word attached to it. An ultrasound, x-ray and CT scan later, all was declared clear, but it can be a difficult time trying not to worry.

Let’s hope you’ll have a similar outcome, but the changes you’re making and a quick appointment will give the best chance of addressing anything that is found.

Will be rooting for you.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I second the advice that the ‘c’ word has likely been used to facilitate an urgent referral.

Earlier this year my GP found some unexpected ‘lumps’ close to my liver during an examination for something unrelated. I was given a referral form with the ‘c’ word attached to it. An ultrasound, x-ray and CT scan later, all was declared clear, but it can be a difficult time trying not to worry.

Let’s hope you’ll have a similar outcome, but the changes you’re making and a quick appointment will give the best chance of addressing anything that is found.

Will be rooting for you.

I would agree. Don’t worry until there is a definite reason to worry

I’ve had 2 cases of ‘possible ‘c’

Only 12 months or so ago I had to have a brain scan as it was thought I could have a tumour.. I did tell anyone didn’t really think of it it was only the day of the scan I visited my mum, and she asked why I’m not at work that I said I had a brain scan.. needless to say within a few hours the whole family was worrying apart from me..

But the request from the GP were dealt with quickly because of the use of the ‘c’ word

However there are many reasons for lumps and bumps… not all bad

So good luck.. and don’t worry you self sick yet!

Reactions: Goonergal

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would just say, be kind to yourself and do not expect to carry in as normal. I had a breast cancer scare (recalled for biopsy after a routine mammogram) and there’s no way that I could ‘not worry’, I was fairly out of my mind and very stressed. Fortunately it turned out to be benign but it took me weeks to get back on an even keel. But I did not let my low carb way of eating slip, I knew I would need good BG control to give myself the best chance if it did turn out to be cancer.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had two referrals under the 2 week “c” protocol. Both were scary as hell. One was quickly ruled as of no concern. The other took longer and further treatment/surgery but also, eventually, came back clear. Both times it was reassuring it was being checked quickly even if that didn’t eliminate the fear. Whatever the outcome the quicker you know it’s ok, needs more checks, or is being treated the better. It’s easy to say not to worry til you need to (and a very valid point) but not everyone’s mind can be so logical. If yours struggles, as mine did, focus on a day or hour at a time and the advantage of knowing whatever has already happened can be found out and addressed sooner. Knowledge is power.

Fingers crossed the outcomes are speedy and positive.

Jersey-Girl

PurpleHippo, Please stay positive, and as hard as it may seem, try not to worry, it won’t help. Just letting you know you are in my thoughts xx

PurpleHippo

Hi all. Thank you all SO much for your lovely, kind words. It means a lot to me to have somewhere to vent.

I saw a consultant yesterday who told me that he’d looked at my ultrasound and that it looks like I have a 5cm mass/tumour/lesion on my kidney and he thinks it couldn’t be a grade 2 cancer. I have to have a CT scan to confirm it, grade it, see if it has spread and make a plan.

I happened to ask whether it could have been caused by the fall on the stairs I had back in March and he said that it’s absolutely possible. He said that it could be a large haemotoma but until I have the scan, we don’t know. I’m trying to be positive but I can’t help but worry and the darker thoughts start gathering strength.

Frankly, I’m tired and terrified in equal measure

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Thank you all SO much for your lovely, kind words. It means a lot to me to have somewhere to vent.

I saw a consultant yesterday who told me that he’d looked at my ultrasound and that it looks like I have a 5cm mass/tumour/lesion on my kidney and he thinks it couldn’t be a grade 2 cancer. I have to have a CT scan to confirm it, grade it, see if it has spread and make a plan.

I happened to ask whether it could have been caused by the fall on the stairs I had back in March and he said that it’s absolutely possible. He said that it could be a large haemotoma but until I have the scan, we don’t know. I’m trying to be positive but I can’t help but worry and the darker thoughts start gathering strength.

Frankly, I’m tired and terrified in equal measure
Crossing everything for you. I just got my 3rd urgent referral yesterday for a new unrelated issue. Waiting on the date now. I’m actually a little calmer than the previous occasions. Practice at shutting the thoughts out at this stage I think. I’m focusing on all the non scary options it could be and dragging my mind back to them every time it wanders. So I’m right here with you. We’ll both get through this horrible waiting period soon and have facts to work with not speculation and guesses.

PurpleHippo

Crossing everything for you. I just got my 3rd urgent referral yesterday for a new unrelated issue. Waiting on the date now. I’m actually a little calmer than the previous occasions. Practice at shutting the thoughts out at this stage I think. I’m focusing on all the non scary options it could be and dragging my mind back to them every time it wanders. So I’m right here with you. We’ll both get through this horrible waiting period soon and have facts to work with not speculation and guesses.

Oh, you poor thing! I can’t imagine going through this three times over. I’m so sorry that you are.

I’m working on the thoughts and trying to stay positive. But is there anything that moves slower than the time it takes to get through everything and get a proper diagnosis?! Jeeeez…:arghh: