British airways

Bobbycoll

Has anyone had a diabetic meal on British airways recently, I've put down diabetic meals when we goto Orlando which will be a hot one one way and a cold one, then a hot meal and a breakfast on the way back, I've seen some reviews from over 3 years back which said they where unsuitable so wanted to see if anyone has had recent experience

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had a diabetic meal on British airways recently, I've put down diabetic meals when we goto Orlando which will be a hot one one way and a cold one, then a hot meal and a breakfast on the way back, I've seen some reviews from over 3 years back which said they where unsuitable so wanted to see if anyone has had recent experience
Can you tell us what was in the meals?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I havent flown since diagnosis, but years of long haul mean I would always carry an alternative "just in case". The return is likely to be catered from the States and is never as good as the outward sector so best to be sure.
Nuts are useful, as is perhaps taking the opportunity to have a planned fast

Reactions: EllieM

Bobbycoll

I havent flown since diagnosis, but years of long haul mean I would always carry an alternative "just in case". The return is likely to be catered from the States and is never as good as the outward sector so best to be sure.
Nuts are useful, as is perhaps taking the opportunity to have a planned fast
I'll be taking something on board to be safe, but if it is really a bad menu for diabetic I may as well stick to the regular meal

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to chose Asia Vegetarian when I fly.
Vegetarian is always soggy, over cooked, reheated pasta.
Asian vegetarian is usually a decent curry (better flying from UK than from US). It comes with rice and some bread but I don’t usually bother with them .
The air crew are usually surprised not to see an Asian when dishing out the special meals.

Reactions: Bobbycoll

Bobbycoll

Edit: just realized you have only booked the meals not had them yet - sorry!
Yeah we don't go until April, seen some pictures from a few years back where people had mainly rice, then another with boiled potatoes and mash in the same meal?! If that's the case may as well stick with a normal meal where at least you have a bit of choice

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have requested a diabetic meal on BA. It really is very bland and not carb free if that’s what you are looking for. I now find it best to have an ordinary meal and just eat the meat and any vegetables that are low carb that accompany the dish. Cheese is usually on offer. But in all honesty, the less I eat on board the better I feel and less bloated.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nuts are useful
I don't fly that often but about 75% of the time they've made an announcement saying someone is allergic and to not consume any nuts. If you do take nuts I'd recommend a non-nut back up so you don't end up with nothing to eat :nailbiting:

I've not had a diabetic meal but have had a few others and honestly you're better off having a choice of normal ones and eating what you want from it.

Bobbycoll

Yes I have requested a diabetic meal on BA. It really is very bland and not carb free if that’s what you are looking for. I now find it best to have an ordinary meal and just eat the meat and any vegetables that are low carb that accompany the dish. Cheese is usually on offer. But in all honesty, the less I eat on board the better I feel and less bloated.
What kind of food did they serve? I'm guessing the breakfast can't be much worse than the normal offering

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really would not bother with any meal labelled as 'diabetic'. What meals do you normally eat? If you are a low carber you will be disappointed with a BA 'diabetic' meal, it will resemble the eat well plate. You'd be better off taking your own stuff on board. I always wonder what they (or others) view as suitable for 'diabetics', usually it is no pudding for you!, we are not a breed apart, we are not on some sort of obscure fad diet, we don't require a food group that will do us good somehow and cure our diabetes, we are just looking for a normal, wider choice that includes lower carb options.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have known nuts to be banned on a flight due a fellow passenger having a nut allergy, the whole flight was banned, not just that section, so if nuts are your backup, have a back for your backup.

This is obviously not advice and I’m sure I’ll be hated, but when we spend 20k on a fortnight, I am not a diabetic in Florida, I am particularly thinking about the apple crunch in Miller’s ale house. :)

May I suggest “The Dibb” website/forum, we learned so much and had such better holidays due to the knowledge there, it’s free to join.

Have a magical holiday.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well several years of long haul...

And since 2018, anytime I flew I made sure I had a good breakfast at airport ..eggs bacon etc

Went normal foods on flights and ate what seemed appropriate,. And passed on the sweetie type things to wife

Another here with a back up of nuts.

Never heard anyone suggest they weren't allowed, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and I'd comply if meant it harmed someone.

And worst scenario, it's one day out of your life,
if you are hungry,..eat

Took many of us years to get ill.
Doubt one day will matter

And can always cut back the next day or so.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have known nuts to be banned on a flight due a fellow passenger having a nut allergy, the whole flight was banned, not just that section, so if nuts are your backup, have a back for your backup.

This is obviously not advice and I’m sure I’ll be hated, but when we spend 20k on a fortnight, I am not a diabetic in Florida, I am particularly thinking about the apple crunch in Miller’s ale house. :)

May I suggest “The Dibb” website/forum, we learned so much and had such better holidays due to the knowledge there, it’s free to join.

Have a magical holiday.

Ha ha, or their wonderful apple pies!!!!!

Reactions: Fenn and jjraak

Bobbycoll

Have a magical holiday.
Hi fenn, thanks for your reply, I'm already a member of the dibb I love that site especially dixonsontour food reports! O must admit I have said to the wife theres no way of eating healthy out there so I'll be eating what I want in moderation and checking blood sugars regular but wanted to be careful on the plane, miller's is our favourite place for a meal though I think captain jack's desert will be off the list for me this time

Reactions: jjraak

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What kind of food did they serve? I'm guessing the breakfast can't be much worse than the normal offering
On my last flight, only last month, there was a choice of full English, goats cheese frittata or cold cuts and cheese for breakfast. Not bad in my opinion.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bobbycoll - I tried the diabetic menu option once. That was enough. Frankly, all it meant was they concentrated on ccarbs, but the bread roll, for example, was wholemeal not white.

I can usually find something to pick out of the options available, so I'll fast. A couple of years ago, I was flying EVA Airways (Koeran) ans suspected the food wouldn't to too fantastic, even with their Upper Class options - noodles featuring etc., so I just fasted. It worked out to be about a 36 hour fast, but it was absolutely fine.

I simply went carnivore for a couple of days beforehand, so I had had plenty of nutritious food to see my through.

Should you elect to fast, please be mindful if you take medication to ensure there are no implications, but also please be careful to stay well hydrated with lots of water.

Enjoy your holiday when it comes around.