Coffee and diabetes

AnnM99

Hi,
Newly diagnosed.
Just wondering if it's OK to drink coffee throughout day? I drink water too and gave taken the milk out of my coffee these last 3 weeks. Would I be better to switch to putting a herbal tea in my thermos? Not sure if caffeine raises blood sugars. Sorry if this is a stupid question ; still learning. Thanks!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We are all different.
For some people caffeine raises our level and for others it has not affect.
The only way to tell which category you are in is to test.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Totally biased in that I drink coffee all day . I try and limit myself to 1 milky coffee eg. cappucino. The large lattes in coffee shops can have 7-14g per portion of milk sugar (lactose) and obviously steer away from flavoured syrups and chocolate on top.
Another tip is to enjoy full fat milk or cream as this means less carb and more slowly absorbed plus very tasty.
I am type 1 so very sensitive to bg swings so if you know you get a reaction to caffeine be sensible. After 3 kids I am immune to the stuff but everyone's different.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally coffee isn't a problem with diabetes. I drink a lot and it has no effect.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be ok. Was a life long cuppa tea and skimmed milk man but now i drink 3-5 cups of coffee with a spoon of double cream in it :)

Reactions: VashtiB

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi,
Newly diagnosed.
Just wondering if it's OK to drink coffee throughout day? I drink water too and gave taken the milk out of my coffee these last 3 weeks. Would I be better to switch to putting a herbal tea in my thermos? Not sure if caffeine raises blood sugars. Sorry if this is a stupid question ; still learning. Thanks!

Black coffee for me.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee itself has zero impact on my BG. I very rarely have milk - it's usually cream at home or espresso when out.

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I do coffee with sweetener (as sweetener doesn't seem to affect my BG) and switched out the milk for unsweetened almond milk. I can drink that all day without it affecting my numbers. :)

As an aside, Alpro unsweetened almond yoghurt is lush! :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Doesn’t affect me and I chain drink it

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Newly diagnosed.
I drink two large frothy coffee a day I've checked my sugar levels before and after it never did anything to mine but I am on a lowe carb diet I think it's the best thing I ever did I have dropped my insulin down from 22 ml in the morning and at night to 14 mil I don't stay strictly to the low carb diet as I should I do drink at weekends I was 15 st when I started now I'm around 13.8 I do hope to get to 12.6 one day