Tastes have changed

Lisa69free

Since I've been diagnosed I've noticed I'm choosing different food to eat. I'm not usually a fan of fish at all. I've been eating a lot of tuna mayo and yesterday I bought a lot of John West mackerel as I really fancied it. Is my body telling me what I need now I'm controlled with insulin or could there be another reason?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I've been diagnosed I've noticed I'm choosing different food to eat. I'm not usually a fan of fish at all. I've been eating a lot of tuna mayo and yesterday I bought a lot of John West mackerel as I really fancied it. Is my body telling me what I need now I'm controlled with insulin or could there be another reason?

Hi,

I don't know..
However I was diagnosed pretty much on my 8th birthday.. Been ill leading up to it prior to diagnosis?
As you can imagine at a kid's party there would have been a fair bit of sugar going on.
Apart from an increased thirst & weightloss. The only thing I felt intuitively drawn to was the little sausages on the sticks..
& possibly, at the time to curl up under a rock & let fate take me....
Even my mum memorably commented to a nurse on the ward I was admitted that all I could eat was the meat.. Like it was some massive shock?

Strangely, even though I could "bolus for it." I still didn't touch our wedding cake..

Personally, I feel there is a rich variety of foods out there that can work with an exogenous insulin profile other than claimed in the "temptation aisle." ;)

Reactions: EllieM

Lisa69free

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification. I can imagine the feeling there of what can I eat. I'm saying I'm actually wanting to eat very different food and enjoy it. Like cravings when pregnant.

MsClarita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pigeons!
My taste has changed a little. I really went off green veg in the six months until my diagnosis and now I can’t get enough of it. Conversely, I used to drink sparkling water and have a can of diet pop, but I can’t stand either at the moment. In fact, I’m struggling to drink much at all and have to force it down! I’m only about six weeks in, so we will see what happens.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
When I was first diagnosed aeons ago I noticed that to begin with I wanted to eat anything and everything to make up for the weight I’d lost but since then I’ve noticed that a few cravings have come about because of a shortfall in minerals and vitamins, especially cravings for bovril and liver when I was anaemic. Maybe a lack of the vitamins, specific fats and minerals found in oily fish has led to your cravings @Lisa69free? Only a guess.

Lisa69free

When I was first diagnosed aeons ago I noticed that to begin with I wanted to eat anything and everything to make up for the weight I’d lost but since then I’ve noticed that a few cravings have come about because of a shortfall in minerals and vitamins, especially cravings for bovril and liver when I was anaemic. Maybe a lack of the vitamins, specific fats and minerals found in oily fish has led to your cravings @Lisa69free? Only a guess.
I'm thinking the same, it's not something I would normally eat but enjoying it. Think I'll pick up some multi vitamins and see if fish cravings still there