No more Insulin (T2)

ellalla

Today my doctor told me to go off Insulin!

August 19:
a1c at 103 (11.6)
80 units of Lantus daily
138 kg

May 20:
a1c 39 (5.7)
15 units of Lantus
105 kg

I Achieved all that with one hour of light training per day and calorie restriction.
I din't even go low carb until now. (Although somewhat carb restricted lately inspired by this forum.)

On top of that, my company doctor cleared me to work on site again du to my good numbers!
(My field of work was reduced to remote work during lockdown in my country, and now we can go back to work with customers, but those in the risk group had to get individual clearance.)

I'm now very much motivated to up my effort and reduce my carbs and get even more physical excercise to stay at that a1c despite not having insulin anymore.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: ZESTRIL

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Well done, take a bow!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Well done that’s nice

I’m still going to hate you as you’ve now become the poster person for the group of people that say ‘your diabetic, you realise you can cure that if you change your diet’

Seriously though good for you, long may it last.

ellalla

Well, to put things in perspective, I've been diabetic since about 13 years.
With a1cs mostly ranging from just barely acceptable to very concerning.
And now I've had about half a year of very good results.
That's a win for now. But it doesn't proof anything.

I don't even know, why I'm now able to do this. I certainly tried harder in the past.

And in my experience weight loss is down to diet, but a good a1c is down to exercise, sleep, and keeping stress levels down.

HeathKick2017

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So happy for you and inspired! Well done. I’m so happy to know I can reduce my numbers by calorie counting and being “MODERATE” rather than going fully low carb

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So happy for you and inspired! Well done. I’m so happy to know I can reduce my numbers by calorie counting and being “MODERATE” rather than going fully low carb
Good luck.

It seems more likely if you have a significant amount of weight to lose. It also fails for a lot of people as they give up when hungry. Or they lose the weight only to rebound back to pre diet eating and pre diet weight and now with a slowed dow metabolism too due to lack of calories to sustain it so the whole problem is worse.

Low calorie can and does work but repeatedly in studies low carb has better and more sustainable results for more people.

As for being moderate, would you be moderate with nuts if you had an allergy? As a type 2 your body fails to process carbs properly. And they cause damage. To me it makes more sense than to limit them - rather than limit other good stuff your body is ok with. It’s the mindset that we need carbs that’s harder to get over rather than the reality of doing it usually

Reactions: ZESTRIL

ellalla

Update:

It's been three month without Insulin and today I had my highly anticipated consultation:
a1c 39 (5.7)
lost another 28 pounds
(still doing cico with about 160g of carbs)

Best thing is: now without insulin I just go about my day carefree, no constant checking, no lows.

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today my doctor told me to go off Insulin!

August 19:
a1c at 103 (11.6)
80 units of Lantus daily
138 kg

May 20:
a1c 39 (5.7)
15 units of Lantus
105 kg

I Achieved all that with one hour of light training per day and calorie restriction.
I din't even go low carb until now. (Although somewhat carb restricted lately inspired by this forum.)

On top of that, my company doctor cleared me to work on site again du to my good numbers!
(My field of work was reduced to remote work during lockdown in my country, and now we can go back to work with customers, but those in the risk group had to get individual clearance.)

I'm now very much motivated to up my effort and reduce my carbs and get even more physical excercise to stay at that a1c despite not having insulin anymore.

Thanks for reading!
Hi ellalla I've just started my lowe carb diet after three weeks I've lost about seven pounds I've lowered my insulin down from 22 two ten twice a day I'm a bit worried over the colestral I used to be 2.2 with the statins I hope to reach 13 st by October I was 15 stones

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ellalla I've just started my lowe carb diet after three weeks I've lost about seven pounds I've lowered my insulin down from 22 two ten twice a day I'm a bit worried over the colestral I used to be 2.2 with the statins I hope to reach 13 st by October I was 15 stones
That's quite a frighteningly low cholesterol level.
Why were you given the statins?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I'm diabetic and my body couldn't take Metformin what wrong with having lowe colestral ?
Statins are not a metformin alternative. One is for cholesterol the other for diabetes and blood sugar.

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Statins are not a metformin alternative. One is for cholesterol the other for diabetes and blood sugar.
Yes I do know that I had no trouble with statins it was the devil drug metformin was my big trouble

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do know that I had no trouble with statins it was the devil drug metformin was my big trouble
This isn’t directed specifically at you but the wording raised it in my head

metformin can have side effects. But it also can work really well and be tolerated in both it’s normal and slow release form

I see people who read these comments and won’t even try metformin as they are convinced it’s the worst drug ever. Thing is the alternative to metformin can be substantially worse

I think we need more balance in how we post

Reactions: KK123

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is the alternative to metformin can be substantially worse
Unlikely if the successful alternative is eating the right real foods.
Agreed it might be worse if you are referring to different and maybe stronger medication

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, it just read that you thought you’d been prescribed statins as an alternative to metformin.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unlikely if the successful alternative is eating the right real foods.
Agreed it might be worse if you are referring to different and maybe stronger medication
That’s what I meant. I wasn’t clear. Apologies!

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, it just read that you thought you’d been prescribed statins as an alternative to metformin.
I am a drug called jardiance instead of Metformin the medical name for it empagllflozin I find so much better than Metformin

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This isn’t directed specifically at you but the wording raised it in my head

metformin can have side effects. But it also can work really well and be tolerated in both it’s normal and slow release form

I see people who read these comments and won’t even try metformin as they are convinced it’s the worst drug ever. Thing is the alternative to metformin can be substantially worse

I think we need more balance in how we post
Well if you work in the same field like I did you wouldn't think that way might be ok if work in a office but was working all over the place