Reusing test strips

jenni52

Hi all, I ran out of test strips a couple weeks ago and waiting for a prescription to be issued. I found a test strip on the floor which must have missed the bin, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to try it. Result was 17.5mmol

I haven't seen a number that high for over a year and haven't changed my diet since getting under control so I can assume used strips are wildly inaccurate right?? Has anyone else tried using used ones?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
No I haven't and after your experience I think I will give it a miss

Reactions: EllieM and jenni52

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jenni52 , reusing test strips really doesn't work, I'd ignore the reading.

What medication are you on? You can buy teststrips over the counter/order them online. But if you're on insulin or gliclazide I'd call 999 as well for advice, as being without teststrips is full out dangerous in that case.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I ran out of test strips a couple weeks ago and waiting for a prescription to be issued. I found a test strip on the floor which must have missed the bin, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to try it. Result was 17.5mmol

I haven't seen a number that high for over a year and haven't changed my diet since getting under control so I can assume used strips are wildly inaccurate right?? Has anyone else tried using used ones?

My meter (Caresens Dual) just gives an error code if I inadvertently put in a used strip. Incidentally most strips have to be used within a set time after removing them from the container too. With both these factors in mind, I wouldn’t trust your reading of 17.5. However if you are on blood glucose lowering meds or insulin I would chase up your prescription before the weekend or try to get an emergency supply from a pharmacy.

jenni52

Hi @jenni52 , reusing test strips really doesn't work, I'd ignore the reading.

What medication are you on? You can buy teststrips over the counter/order them online. But if you're on insulin or gliclazide I'd call 999 as well for advice, as being without teststrips is full out dangerous in that case.
I'm just on metformin and have been well controlled for over a year now. Was silly to try it really, serves me right for being curious!

Reactions: Antje77

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Insofar as my experience a test strip once used cannot be used again. Once test strips have been exposed to the elements (air) they only have a limited lifespan afterwards.

Reactions: jenni52

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just on metformin and have been well controlled for over a year now. Was silly to try it really, serves me right for being curious!
Trying and being curious isn't silly at all!
Glad to here you're well controlled on metformin, hope you'll get hold of some teststrips soon :)
waiting for a prescription to be issued.
Are you sure you'll get them on prescription still? Most T2's on metformin won't, we have many people needing to self fund on the forum.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just on metformin and have been well controlled for over a year now

I’m surprised you get strips on prescription for strips if you are only on Metformin. Most of us type 2s on diet or diet and Metformin have to self fund. Maybe your prescription has been cancelled hence the apparent delay?

jenni52

I’m surprised you get strips on prescription for strips if you are only on Metformin. Most of us type 2s on diet or diet and Metformin have to self fund. Maybe your prescription has been cancelled hence the apparent delay?
I requested it too early and it is going through to Echo tomorrow.
I had a period of being uncontrolled up until last May and begged for a prescription so I could test and find out what I could and couldn't eat. I'm expecting them to stop soon though.

Reactions: Rachox

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been really lucky that my nurse has put strips on prescription (just as well as I'm going through them very quickly while I learn what spikes me and what doesn't!)

PhilipAnsell

If you've used a strip, it will have dried out, or at least started to, so the contents of your blood will become concentrated with the evaporation of the fluid part. Whatever you are testing for (in this case glucose) you would get a higher reading by adding more blood. Think of it like reducing a sauce while you are cooking.
I don't have a prescription for strips, I buy mine from Argos (Kinetic brand), only a few pence each.

Reactions: jenni52 and Struma

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am lucky in that I was given a meter on diagnosis and have been prescribed strips ever since.

I do self fund a Freestyle Libre 2, though, because of all the trend information.

Metformin only so far.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reused one accidentally. Had the same experience - BG x3 expected reading, around 14. Retested immediately and back at 4.8.

jenni52

Reused one accidentally. Had the same experience - BG x3 expected reading, around 14. Retested immediately and back at 4.8.

Oh that's good to know. Will be receiving my new strips tomorrow, phew! There's nothing like the moment of panic when you see a stupidly high number is there.

Reactions: Antje77

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I reused one of mine as a toothpick once, eeeewwwww lol

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that's good to know. Will be receiving my new strips tomorrow, phew! There's nothing like the moment of panic when you see a stupidly high number is there.
Utter panic. I put my used strips in an old pot...the trick is to remember which pot the new ones are in. This is not as easy as it sounds for me!!