Grrr....

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Ok, I know this topic has been discussed more times than I can count but I have got to let off steam.

I am so heartily sick and tired of seeing the amounts of newly diagnosed diabetics and their families being left in limbo with precious little information and advice.

I remember when my daughter was ill with what we found out was food poisoning and I got strips torn off me by the A&E docs because her blood sugars were sky high. Was I told to test? No. Did I know that her some of the symptoms she were showing were indictive of extremely high sugars? No.
Was I given any advice whatsoever regarding her diabetes especially given the fact she was already under the care of the Endo clinic for her other condition? Well...no.

Reason being.."we didn't think it was necessary" Guess that makes it alright then. :evil:

This is a pointless post really and I shouldn't let these issues get to me but they do. A lot. It's about time things changed, how can we be expected to take diabetes seriously when the advice given is so generally lacking that it leaves people confused and worried?

Grrr. Climbs down off soapbox. Will, shut up now. :silent:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Does you good to let off steam, Ladybird, and you know you can here!

I don't see why the A&E should give you a guilt trip for something that was not your fault. I agree totally about lack of education for newbies - I hate to think what would have happened to me if I hadn't already known about the effect of low-carb on blood glucose levels. Also I have an enquiring mind and the internet.

Even in my practice, which I consider very good, the visiting dietitian does not warn about the effect of carbohydrates on blood glucose. There are older newbies than me around here, who are not getting the best advice. The dietitian sees a group at every visit, instead of one-to-one.

Hang on in there, and don't get stressed again! :D

Viv 8)

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go for it girl! I don't mind you letting off steam and I'm sure no-one else will either. It's safer letting it out than holding it in or re-directing it at some poor unsuspecting 'other.'
Hang on to the optimistic thought that things will change the more we voice our opinions and are not sitting in silence when doctors etc try to fob us off.

s230787

I agree with you Ladybird64, I only found out about carb counting about 8 months ago after somebody mentioned it to me at the hospital, and I've been diabetic for 6 years! Some might say I should have looked it up myself but at 18 and on my way to uni to start the biggest party of my life :lol: it wasn't my highest priority and i just got by by guessing insulin amounts (which is terrible I know!)

Then last year I was rushed to A&E, I was vomiting, and had terrible stomach cramps, sugar was sky high. They were asking me about keytones, and why I hadnt come to hospital sooner when they were so high...I didnt even know what a keytone was, let alone have any strips to test my own keytones at home... no one had ever mentioned this to me before.

I do most of my own research now on the internet and through books, sometimes I think I know more than the doctors and nurses at the hospital now!! :D

lacey1656

im so sick of the advice you get once your given the news about having diabetis
if its not test your self every other day then you get told , oh its not a problem if your testing is high
as it can be at certain times of the day,
then after 5 yrs i get told no point in testing any more ,,,,,,,,if thats not bad enough
its fret of strokes -heart attacks- foot care= ,and not to mention kidney faliure
im sure theres plenty of dome and clume out there

is there any thing thats good about having this is before i shoot my self lol
isnt no one we become depressed