Type 1 Why are Americans blood sugars read different?

WreckTangle

I was watching some videos from an American type one diabetic and they have the same Libre sensor as me and theirs read at 118? But ours read at 9.2 or 12.4? Why is ours in points and theirs are whole numbers like 100s?
Just really confused?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was watching some videos from an American type one diabetic and they have the same Libre sensor as me and theirs read at 118? But ours read at 9.2 or 12.4? Why is ours in points and theirs are whole numbers like 100s?
Just really confused?

In the UK we use the mmol/L as our measurement range to measure blood sugar, in the US they use mg/dL.
Just a different measurement range, bit like we use mostly miles for distance on the UK roads, and Europe uses km

1 mmol/L = 18 mg/dL for an easy conversion

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In Canada, blood glucose readings are the same as in the UK, but A1C is the same as in US!

In grocery stores here in Canada, produce and meat are quoted as $x per pound, and at checkout on one's slip it is stated as $y per kg. I suppose $ per pounds creates the perception that it is cheaper!!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Just really confused?

Why are many things in the US different?

It’s the method they have decided to use I don’t suppose there is any reason that matters.. it’s not just the US that uses that standard.. some places in Europe do too

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I never knew places in Europe used the US measurements. Can you tell me some, just curious.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I never knew places in Europe used the US measurements. Can you tell me some, just curious.
if you take a look at the websites around the world of some of the big meter makes you'll see who uses what measurement

for starters the following use mg/dl

germany.. mmol is also available here but not as common
france
spain
belgium
greece

there are more..

Reactions: Struma

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This is interesting. May have to do some more research and find out why they don't use the mmol/L measurements.