What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

islelassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fasting blood sugar is always higher than it is both 2 hours hours after breakfast. I have read somewhere that this happens to some people. My fasting blood sugar after fasting is usually 7-8 and my blood sugar 2 hours after breakfast is usually 6. Does any one else have this and does any one know why this happens. It concerns me because My GP goes by the fasting level even though the non fasting level is lower!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
4.7 at 08:00 today.

I made an amazing spicy beef casserole yesterday - beef, a red pepper, a grated carrot, cayenne pepper and paprika, a couple of handfuls of lentils, mushrooms, a slosh of red wine - all slow-cooked for about 3 hours.

It was delicious! I was 4.8 before I ate some, 5.6 at 1 hour after, 5.2 at 2 hours after. I shall be making that again!

Viv 8)

Edit: - I put an onion and garlic in as well!

starlight1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people who have no manners
mine was 8.8 fasting this morning lower than it usually is. im doing things to reduce my bg, actually had a high bg the other morning then about an hour later i had a hypo so i checked my bg again it was 3.3 i ate a small bowl of cereal and it went up to 8.4, need to gt this sorted soon.

NewdestinyX

'Bout a 6.2 for me this am. Higher than I like -- but I've been sorta - relaxing for a couple of months on what I eat.. Sorta 'taking a break' from the disease... :shock: -- I know -- crazy it sounds - don't it?! Takin' a break from T2??!? :? :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Welcome back Grant, how is the cycling going?

NewdestinyX

borofergie said:
Welcome back Grant, how is the cycling going?
Hi Borofergie! I'm in my last semester of university (after 25 years away) AND I took on a part time job in addition to my full time work. So the cycling took a hit this fall. That and the terrible weather/rains we've dealt with in the northeast of the US late summer early fall which you may have heard about. I got at least 1 day a week in throughout this craziness - but when I don't cycle I get to the gym. Still haven't been on my normal regimen though.. Feels weird. Fortunately these last two years I've reset my metabolism and I've only regained about 6 pounds in three months of 'taking a break' a less exercise. I can live with that. When I graduate next month - the time I was spending in school can be re-directed to my fitness program again. When I DO get on the gym equipment my heart is still nice and strong and I haven't lost any of my 'wind'. I really needed a break from the crazy over focus on diet mainly. I LOVE my exercise regimen - just haven't had time for it - out 14-16 hours a day. But I need to tighten my eating routine back up after the holidays for sure. I've let myself get back up to higher carb - about 200grams a day. Lovin' it - and covering for it with the fast acting insulin - so my BG levels are fine. But for me 200grams a day means 'weight gain' when I'm using the insulin. So I've enjoyed the 'mental break' and the 'loosening' of my restrictions. But some of the stuff I'm eating - I'm finding I no longer have a taste for. It's interesting... I HAVE enjoyed the breads and occasional cookies. Love those starchier veggies too. Though I know I can live with less.

All is well. How are you?

Mine was 4.8, which I was satisfied with. It as been higher depending on what I've eaten the night before. I do like it to be below 5 before the start of the day. Monday, noon, it was 12.4 after having a slow release metoformin, not sure if these tablets are working as they said they would.

storyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it worth checking each morning?
I was told to last year at the hospital when I was first diagnosed with diabetes to keep a running check each morning as it would help me to manage my diabetes. I have done this religiously every day. Since then I have moved house to a different region, and now have to pay for my strips £25 a box, but I think it is worth it. Two weeks ago my dentist suggested that I saw my Doctor as he felt my sugar levels could be getting too high as my gums were bleeding and my teeth were very sensitive. I made an appointment and I also took a print out of all the levels I have done every morning (mine have gone up recently from 6.2 to 9.3). I was told by the doctor, after she looked at my last blood test taken at the clinic six months ago, that I am managing my sugar levels very well and that type 2 diabetics do not need to check every morning as it is a waste of time and money!! What should I do now?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
It's not really necessary or useful for a T2 to do a fasting test every morning. It's more useful to test before and 2 hours after meals to see what effect certain foods have on your blood levels. That way you won't need to use very many strips after a while.

Reactions: 4 people

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi all
My FBGs have been between 4.5 - 5.2 over past weeks.

Started the 'Newcastle' diet three weeks ago , first fbg was 13.4, then dropped dramatically on about the third or fourth day to around 5.

Works for me lol

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7.1 this morning, not happy with that as my target is below 6.

Seem to be drifting upwards over the last few weeks in the mornings

Cchartr

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Unconfirmed diagnoses got blood work done today cbc ac1 fasting and creatine lvls. After my blood work I tested my BG and I was at 8.8. After being up for an hour and getting son ready for school. Usually out of bed between 5.7-6.5 and drops between out of bed and before breakfast to 5.3-5.4 within hour of being awake. During the day Im between 6.5 and 7 with occasional spikes of 8-9. I been eating differently and dropped my lvl to 5.5-6.5 over the past week however as I was getting test done on Monday i decided to eat as i regularly do but with caution i had pizza Sat night 2 pieces just cheese and meat. Then I had one piece of left over pizza for breakfast and then eat lunch later as I was working and didn't have time to eat i had Wendy Chrispy chicken burger baked potatoe and coke and ice cream however I only drank a 3 of my soft drink and a small amount of the ice cream just to curve craving as I have cut them the past week. Then I had chocolate milk and a Garold bar for snack before bed and I woke up with 8.8 which beside seeing a 13 once after eating Big Mac meal 4 yrs this been high especially fasting as the highest fasting been 7.1.

monkehwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
6.9 this morning with a terrible cold so I'm happy with that