Type 1 PIP - anyone successful?

stewpot65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars.
Iam on my second attempt for pip iam type two diabetes insulin dependan, also on tablets for depresion,high blood pressure,satins as i had a clinical stroke been in hospital with pancaritis three times had alcohol problems but dry now also on codeine for pain. Since my last assesment i have started to get numbness in my toes and fingers the doc is monitoring it.
I feel like a beggar when claiming, but it is alright at least i no that iam telling the truth.

bigears71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
running
Thanks for all your replies. It does seem, judging by the answers, that you can't get PIP on the basis of having Type1 which is a chronic illness in itself. I've had it for a long time and things are not going well. I hope that everyone who has applied and been rejected will appeal as there are very few other conditions which can lead to such horrible complications. Good luck
Hi a was just wondering how your pip application went did u put in for it as looking at ur post it looks like it was from a long time ago a bet you are more clued up now how pip works its not about what ur conditions our but how it effects you on a daily basis I myself has put in a new claim for pip as a had previously won it for the last 7yrs on having type 1 diabetes but a also dont have a working pancrease any more so was wondering how your outcome was good our bad???

worrywart

Hiya, I was recently successful with my claim for PIP. What you have to do is fill out your form as if you are experiencing your one of your "worst days", or at least this was what I was advised, which gives you more points towards your PIP claim, and do the same in your interview with capita :)

Hi I am applying for PIP with T1 LADA diabetes i have had since diagnosis in 2011. When you say fill out the form as a "worst day" did you actually state this was a singular worst day scenario? Or did you need to put a frequency on the worst day scenario E.g. on average every fifth day i have an aggressive hypo which gives X, Y, Z symptoms.

Im just wondering how much detail to go into here. Im around the 1 page mark just on "Preparation of Food" explaining the crazy amount of time that goes into planning meals from selection at supermarket to carb counting, exercise factors, fat effect, protein effect, selection of insulin etc etc etc. Its almost as if im explaining every nuance of the condition to a complete alien. Its hard enough to manage the condition let alone explain the avalanche of information we must process day to day

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all I've had diabetes type 1 for 48 years and have got proliferative retinopathy. I've had vitrectomy operations on both eyes and one eye had a detached and torn retina. I've applied for PIP but there seems to be a problem with people with diabetes getting it?! I can't see my computer screen to work any more so not faking it...!! Has anyone else been successful in a claim please?
Regardless of PIP have you asked your employer to make adjustments to help such as magnification of screen or audio voice to text etc.? Do you still want to work?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am applying for PIP with T1 LADA diabetes i have had since diagnosis in 2011. When you say fill out the form as a "worst day" did you actually state this was a singular worst day scenario? Or did you need to put a frequency on the worst day scenario E.g. on average every fifth day i have an aggressive hypo which gives X, Y, Z symptoms.

Im just wondering how much detail to go into here. Im around the 1 page mark just on "Preparation of Food" explaining the crazy amount of time that goes into planning meals from selection at supermarket to carb counting, exercise factors, fat effect, protein effect, selection of insulin etc etc etc. Its almost as if im explaining every nuance of the condition to a complete alien. Its hard enough to manage the condition let alone explain the avalanche of information we must process day to day

Hi there, I note this post is over 4 years old so you may be better off starting a new one as I think the system for claiming has changed since then. I know a little about Pip in relation to supporting someone else making a claim (not diabetes related). It is extremely hard. As someone else has said it's not to do with with any condition a claimant may have but how they are affected on a day to day basis. Of course I don't know your background or what other matters you have going on so I'm assuming you are unable to perform several basic day to day functions. The food for example, you'd say 'You can't prepare a lengthy, fresh meal', they'd say 'but are you capable of using the microwave and buying food'.

Other things are like not being able to get up the stairs or not being able to stand for more than five minutes when cooking or not able to walk more than a few metres or whether you can get to the shop alone. My understanding is that they have no interest in things like the inconvenience of having to carb count, having to assess the effects of protein or exercise, or how much effort it takes day to day. If that was the case we would all be on Pip. They will also enquire as to why you are having an aggressive hypo every five days, if they decide that a person is making no effort to manage their condition, that too can cause an issue. They may (and probably will) ask for your GPs input.

I am not trying to put you off but please be aware it really is a difficult and sometimes humiliating process. If I were you I'd get my GP on board to begin with.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulwgun

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve had diabetes for 40 years I only got PIP 7 years ago when I lost my leg , I recently applied for my partner who has dementia and other illnesses , have to agree with the majority get the CAB to help you fill out your forms ,and treat it as “ your worse” day. Also don’t accept a rejection as many cases are reversed on appeal