Indian food

MrMoo2401

Hi all

Bit of information about myself, I got diagnosed with diabetes three weeks ago, so all new to me at the moment. The hospital don't know what type I am at the moment but I am having to inject 4 times a day (semglee in the morning and NovoRapid with every meal). I am working out my carbs to 2 units for every 10g of carbs.
Anyway I'm out for a family meal tonight at a Indian curry house and unsure how much insulin to use. Would whacking in 20 units cover me or do I have to try and be more exact??

Cheers all

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Bit of information about myself, I got diagnosed with diabetes three weeks ago, so all new to me at the moment. The hospital don't know what type I am at the moment but I am having to inject 4 times a day (semglee in the morning and NovoRapid with every meal). I am working out my carbs to 2 units for every 10g of carbs.
Anyway I'm out for a family meal tonight at a Indian curry house and unsure how much insulin to use. Would whacking in 20 units cover me or do I have to try and be more exact??

Cheers all

Hi there, well with insulin you at least have to try and be as 'exact' as you can because an overdose can be fatal. It generally starts with trying to figure out how many units of insulin you need per grams of carbs, ie, your ratio. You say you need 2 units per 10g of carbs, so you should try and work out how many carbs are in the curry meal you intend to eat. That can be very difficult to get right because so much more comes into it, the fat content of the meal may slow the absorption rate down for example.

I personally wouldn't whack in some random amount of insulin, on your ratio you would need to balance that 20 units with around 100g of carbs? Your meal may be a lot more than that which wouldn't be too bad as you would go high after it and could adjust. However, if you ate 50g of carbs and took the same 20 units you are likely to go hypo. It really is not a question of A + B = C. If this is your first meal out and you are newly diagnosed I would underestimate the insulin rather than overestimate. What are your current meals and glucose levels like?

Please be careful whatever you do, insulin is not like taking a pill, it is a very powerful and potentially dangerous drug.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with everything @KK123 has said above. It's unfortunately really not as simple as just picking a number and injecting that much insulin.

That can be very difficult to get right because so much more comes into it, the fat content of the meal may slow the absorption rate down for example..
When I have an Indian takeaway my BG can spike 7-8 hours later. I'm not saying that's typical but it may be something you need to watch out for, don't rely on a blood test 2 hours later and assume you're fine.

If you want to make it easier on yourself there have been other threads where low carbers have suggested meals to have at/from an Indian restaurant. Tandoori meats for example are low carb and there's much less room for error than if you're having rice and naan and bombay potatoes and mango chutney for example.

P.s welcome :)

Reactions: KK123

MrMoo2401

Thanks for your replies.
My levels this week are on average 7 and meals roughly 75g on average.
I was also planning on a couple of light ales but that sounds like it could be a no no.
This diabetes really does change your life

MrMoo2401

Oh also on my normal meals the wife measures everything exactly and works out my carbs. I know my whack in comment sounds naive but it's just cause its my first time out eating since I was diagnosed.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just one Nan bread can be 70g but it will take a few hours to before your blood sugers really start to rise, with a Indian meal you may well need two injections a few hours apart so one big injections may give you a hypo just when you will be enjoying you meal, Hope you have a nice meal with no problems, in time you will learn to how different foods affect you

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies.
My levels this week are on average 7 and meals roughly 75g on average.
I was also planning on a couple of light ales but that sounds like it could be a no no.
This diabetes really does change your life

Hi there, honestly, nothing is a no no for you. It's not easy but as you become more experienced you can factor in things like ale or anything else. Many people do choose to take fewer carbs in at a time because it can be easier to manage any repercussions from highs or lows.