Diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy- laser surgery, do you think it is safe?

Elena1225

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N/A
Appreciate if someone who experienced or who has a story to tell about diabetic retinopathy laser surgery to reach out to me at this forum. Thank you.

Message edited by moderator: Removal of personal information

Last edited by a moderator:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Appreciate if someone who experienced or who has a story to tell about diabetic retinopathy laser surgery to reach out to me at this forum. Thank you.

Hi @Elena1225 Welcome to this wonderful forum.This is the message I posted to @Emsy2297 earlier:
In a nutshell, I had laser treatment in 1979-1983 in both eyes. Like you I was terrified, both at the thought of burning pain and invasive treatment to my eyes. I was 'pleasantly' surprised - nothing like Goldfinger! As others above have said careful control of blood sugar is important, but don't panic about blips. You might never have to go for treatment. If it's any consolation I still drive, read and have had no treatment since despite alarming letters from the eye screening service on several occasions. Good luck!
Very many have had this done, even when lasers were more primitive. From my perspective they are a lot less dangerous than uncontrolled haemhorraging in the eyes.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a YAG laser capsulotomy on my right eye, I know it's not the same as retinopathy surgery.

I was a bit concerned about pain during and after the procedure, but there was none as my eyes were full eye drops, so whether there was a anaesthetic amongst them I do not know.

I though of it like being inside of a computer game getting zapped when it was being done, did not take long either.

I would have laser surgery again if needed.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had laser eye surgery twice. No pain, no side effects. Brilliant. I love being able to see.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I had laser treatment over 30 years ago on my left eye, no pain no problem , I’m assuming that technology like in other things has advanced somewhat so if I had to have it again I wouldn’t be at all bothered .

Elena1225

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N/A
Hi @Elena1225 Welcome to this wonderful forum.This is the message I posted to @Emsy2297 earlier:
In a nutshell, I had laser treatment in 1979-1983 in both eyes. Like you I was terrified, both at the thought of burning pain and invasive treatment to my eyes. I was 'pleasantly' surprised - nothing like Goldfinger! As others above have said careful control of blood sugar is important, but don't panic about blips. You might never have to go for treatment. If it's any consolation I still drive, read and have had no treatment since despite alarming letters from the eye screening service on several occasions. Good luck!
Very many have had this done, even when lasers were more primitive. From my perspective they are a lot less dangerous than uncontrolled haemhorraging in the eyes.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the motivational message @Mr. Grant_Vicat. Now my left eye vision is deteriorating fast. I have to wait for the laser treatment schedule. I'm quite anxious so I'll have to go for more investigative test tomorrow. The diagnosis is high risk proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Apologies for the delay because it is challenging now to type and see the letters.

Elena1225

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N/A
I've had laser eye surgery twice. No pain, no side effects. Brilliant. I love being able to see.
Thank you very much MrsA2. I appreciate the optimism and encouragement. I am mindful because of some articles I read that if feasible, ignore the eye floaters and do not go for invasive procedures as there is a high risk of irreversible side effects such as blindness or other complications but I also acknowledge it is better than not having vision at all.

Elena1225

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N/A
I had laser treatment over 30 years ago on my left eye, no pain no problem , I’m assuming that technology like in other things has advanced somewhat so if I had to have it again I wouldn’t be at all bothered .
Appreciate the reassuring message Mr. Ushthetaff. I agree with you that the laser from years ago has advanced to now. For my condition, it is now a matter of when will the treatment be done. Thank you.

Elena1225

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N/A
I have had a YAG laser capsulotomy on my right eye, I know it's not the same as retinopathy surgery.

I was a bit concerned about pain during and after the procedure, but there was none as my eyes were full eye drops, so whether there was a anaesthetic amongst them I do not know.

I though of it like being inside of a computer game getting zapped when it was being done, did not take long either.

I would have laser surgery again if needed.
I like your analogy of how the laser was done. Very encouraging words. Thanks a lot Miss Riva Roxaban.

Elena1225

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N/A

I had 2 laser treatments already for proliferative diabetic retinopathy called photocoagulation. The floaters are still there in my left eye and unfortunately, the treatment was very uncomfortable, painful like applying lime drops to your eye, itchy after some time and I experience severe migraines. Can anyone please let me know if these are natural effects please?