Dexcom readings on smartwatch

sugarcane

Hi there - here goes my first post.

I just started recently using the Dexcom G6 (with the closed-loop t-slim from Tandem) and am considering getting another receiver to view my readings etc (I wear my pump discretely so it's not so practical to pull out my pump from my pants every time...)

I am a bit of an old-timer in regard to all new technologies out there so I was wondering how it would work with a smartwatch (I just saw on Dexcom's website that it's compatible). Does it need a sim? If it does need one, does it have to be connected to a phone or is it possible to use an independent smartwatch?

Any leads would very much be appreciated!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi there - here goes my first post.

I just started recently using the Dexcom G6 (with the closed-loop t-slim from Tandem) and am considering getting another receiver to view my readings etc (I wear my pump discretely so it's not so practical to pull out my pump from my pants every time...)

I am a bit of an old-timer in regard to all new technologies out there so I was wondering how it would work with a smartwatch (I just saw on Dexcom's website that it's compatible). Does it need a sim? If it does need one, does it have to be connected to a phone or is it possible to use an independent smartwatch?

Any leads would very much be appreciated!

I'm not a pump user but I quickly got fed up with hauling my phone out from my coat pocket every time I wanted to check my bg on a walk - so....

I am sure there are other options but I bought a fitbit versa 2 to so the trick. (Note that the samsung watch uses a proprietary samsung operating system and isn't compatible, you need google wear as an operating system on the watch.) There are fancier options but I literally just wanted the watch to tell time and bg, though I admit I use a few of the fitbit options.

I downloaded the glance watch face for my versa, (free with optional donation) and it picks up my bg via the dexcom follow app. (Tends to run a little behind the phone and drops out whenever my phone hits a mobile blackspot, like the one I have at the bottom of my road, but works pretty well.)

So you absolutely don't need a simcard but the watch will be using your phone's internet.

Hope this helps, can give more info if you need it.

Glance Watchface

Reactions: sugarcane

sugarcane

Thanks. I appreciate your input.

I'm wondering if there's an option of a smartwatch that can work without a phone but with an independent sim card.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

I'm wondering if there's an option of a smartwatch that can work without a phone but with an independent sim card.
Not yet because the transmitter needs a phone. Maybe g7? Having said that, my research is 6 months old.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Oh, and you can use it with apple too - I think there may be slightly more options for the watch face. I would definitely have bought an apple watch if I had been an apple user. (Which I'm not currently, but if the G7 transmitter works with an apple watch directly, I might change over....)

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Huawei smartwatch that I use with the Dexcom G6 via bluetooth on an android phome (Samsung S7). There's a Dexcom face for the phone and it give the trend line, up/down arrows and current reading.

Saying that, I only use it when I'm driving any distance as I've got to the point where I trust the phone to alarm for a low blood and don't check every 10 minutes thes days...

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

Currently you need a phone to collect the data and send to the watch

The biggest issue for companies is not the ability to connect a smartwatch to the Dexcom.. the issue is more battery life in the watch.. most smart watches last only a day anyway unless you go disabling all the extra features of the watch

When you add an application that needs to run all the time alone with a Bluetooth connection every 5 minutes it really kills the battery

Smart switch between phone and watch would be a good way.

Apple is said to be working on battery life this year only time will tell..

Besides this there are very few smart watches that operate fully stand alone anyway