Very high blood sugar

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm type 2 not currently on any diabetes medication.

During the pandemic I've lost control of my food intake. As a result, my bg levels are mostly in the high 20s mmol/l level. It's not unusual for my level to exceed 33 mmol/l on a daily basis.

I don't have any obvious symptoms for such a high sugar level. My recent diabetic eye test was unchanged from last year.

I'm due to see the diabetes nurse on Monday. So what should I be asking her to try to get my sugar down to more manageable levels.

Thanks.

George.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating a day - low carbing is very successful at reducing blood sugar levels. Have you been tested for type 1? How long have you had such high results?

Reactions: Inchindown

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What are you eating a day - low carbing is very successful at reducing blood sugar levels. Have you been tested for type 1? How long have you had such high results?
On my bad days I'm eating junk food mid morning. That could include any of the following. I would often eat until my stomach hurt.

Meat pies/slices
Pasties
2 packs of bacon
Buns
Doughnuts
Chocolate chip cookies
YumYums
Chocolate covered rice crispy clusters
Crisps
Ice cream
Maltesers

During the afternoon and evening my eating is better controlled.

Before I lost control of my eating I used to eat reduced carb foods. At that time my sugar was quite well controlled.

I haven't been tested for type 1.

I would say I've been very high for several months. At some point during the pandemic I started comfort eating again.

I have been diagnosed with binge eating disorder in the past, but I was doing OK with that before the pandemic.

Thanks.

George

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those BS levels are dangerously high and your diet is pretty bad. It's essential at this stage for you to drastically reduce your carb intake and have plenty of water. If you have excess weight, carb reduction should help. If you are slim and have lost weight without trying then do suspect being T1 and do ask for the two tests. You should be on some medication i.e. at least Metformin. Do discuss with the nurse who I'm sure will recommend some meds

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On my bad days I'm eating junk food mid morning. That could include any of the following. I would often eat until my stomach hurt.

Meat pies/slices
Pasties
2 packs of bacon
Buns
Doughnuts
Chocolate chip cookies
YumYums
Chocolate covered rice crispy clusters
Crisps
Ice cream
Maltesers

During the afternoon and evening my eating is better controlled.

Before I lost control of my eating I used to eat reduced carb foods. At that time my sugar was quite well controlled.

I haven't been tested for type 1.

I would say I've been very high for several months. At some point during the pandemic I started comfort eating again.

I have been diagnosed with binge eating disorder in the past, but I was doing OK with that before the pandemic.

Thanks.

George
Ok. I have also have an eating disorder, which is harder to manage when stressed. The pandemic has taken a lot out of us, you actually sound like you have coped well under the circumstances. Well done too for being self aware and honest with yourself.

Do you know about the addictive nature of carbs for some of us, making us crave them even when we are full? And that is apart from the eating disorder itself. Some of us react to carbs like an alcoholic reacts to any alcohol, for some unknown reason to do with our body chemistry.

We are here to help and support you with your carb withdrawal. Do you have any access to mental health services too?

You can do this. You did it before. Your acknowledgement of your situation means you have already made the first step

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just got back from an appointment with the diabetes nurse. Not good news.

My recent HBA1C test was the highest since I was first diagnosed at 150. It wasn't really a surprise as my home testing was over 33 mmol/l, and had been for some time.

I've got to go back on Metformin. I've also been referred to a dietitian to see if she can help with the eating difficulties.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that's going make a significant reduction of my blood glucose levels is if I can get some control of the overeating.

Well, now I know what the problem is, maybe I can make some progress.

Thanks.

George.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got back from an appointment with the diabetes nurse. Not good news.

My recent HBA1C test was the highest since I was first diagnosed at 150. It wasn't really a surprise as my home testing was over 33 mmol/l, and had been for some time.

I've got to go back on Metformin. I've also been referred to a dietitian to see if she can help with the eating difficulties.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that's going make a significant reduction of my blood glucose levels is if I can get some control of the overeating.

Well, now I know what the problem is, maybe I can make some progress.

Thanks.

George.
did the nurse give indication of anything else other than metformin or when you will be tested again?

metformin may help a little but in the order of a few percent is usual, it’s going to need sone help. You said you used to eat differently, hopefully you can move back to that as getting those bloods to lower is really important now

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
did the nurse give indication of anything else other than metformin or when you will be tested again?

metformin may help a little but in the order of a few percent is usual, it’s going to need sone help. You said you used to eat differently, hopefully you can move back to that as getting those bloods to lower is really important now
She said it would be at least 3 months for another HBA1C test.

She also mentioned an additional drug, but decided against prescribing it due previous problems I had with my Kidneys.

To be honest, I'm not really all that bothered about the medication. The only thing that's going deal with my sugar levels is me getting control of my overeating problem.

I'm encouraged by the fact my blood sugar has dropped from over 33 mmol/l two weeks ago to 17 mmol/l today. So at least for the moment things seem to be improving.

Thanks

George