forum bugs
Reactions: Sad21+

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for replying I really appreciate your kindness and advice . Also sorry for replying late.

I hope you don't mind but i have two questions.

1)what's more important a hour after testing or two ?

2) if you don't have any spike or very little after a hour do you need to test after two hours ?

I apologize for asking and being annoying I'm still learning. Thank you

You are not being annoying. You are being sensible and asking good questions.

Given that the blood sugar levels we are aiming for are the 2 hour ones, I would prioritise that one, and drop the 1 hour test.

As even non diabetics, like my adult son, can spike after an hour, why are you doing a 1 hour test?

The tests are to show how fast our bodies are responding to carbs. The 2 hour window is so we can compare our response to the response of a non diabetic over the same length of time.
A non diabetic can take up to 2 hours to get back to normal levels.

In your case, you are comparing your mother's response.

Sad21+

Thank you for sharing this. I think I now know where to go to buy my 90 year old dad a treat for his 91 birthday in a couple of weeks.

And honestly, you sound like you are doing an awesome job of caring for your mum. :)
Oh I'm glad to hear that. And thank you for your kindness.

Sad21+

You are not being annoying. You are being sensible and asking good questions.

Given that the blood sugar levels we are aiming for are the 2 hour ones, I would prioritise that one, and drop the 1 hour test.

As even non diabetics, like my adult son, can spike after an hour, why are you doing a 1 hour test?

The tests are to show how fast our bodies are responding to carbs. The 2 hour window is so we can compare our response to the response of a non diabetic over the same length of time.
A non diabetic can take up to 2 hours to get back to normal levels.

In your case, you are comparing your mother's response.
Sorry for the delay. Thank you so much for the advice. I tested after one after as I read some diabetics should do this, I also saw some diabetics say they do this as well.
I really do appreciate this. Thank you.

alangdunbar

Update mums blood sugar went from 5.9 before buns

13.4 hour after eating

And 6.1/5.3 after two hours (tested two fingers)

I'm confused but relieved. Thank you all for you care .
It's quite normal to see a spike directly after eating.. it happens with everyone. The main issue would be if it was high before food and especially 2 hrs after food.. you shouldn't really test until at least 2 hrs has elapsed.. occasionally 3. Its the time the body normally takes to process food and convert it to energy.. you would know then if the wrong thing was eaten if it was still elevated

Sad21+

It's quite normal to see a spike directly after eating.. it happens with everyone. The main issue would be if it was high before food and especially 2 hrs after food.. you shouldn't really test until at least 2 hrs has elapsed.. occasionally 3. Its the time the body normally takes to process food and convert it to energy.. you would know then if the wrong thing was eaten if it was still elevated
Ok thank you so much. Ok I'm going to stop testing after one hour I'm so scared and nervous. But I appreciate the advice. Honestly thank you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thank you so much. Ok I'm going to stop testing after one hour I'm so scared and nervous. But I appreciate the advice. Honestly thank you.
just test before a meal, then 2 hours afterwards. If the difference in numbers is two whole points or more, there are too many carbs in the meal and so you need to reduce the portion size of the carbs. Best wishes. Its ok to be scared and nervous, you will gain confidence in time.