Reaction at injection site

EK297

Hi all,

I have been T1 diabetic for over 30 years, so pretty used to it all now!

Over the last couple of years, I have been experiencing reactions when injecting. It doesn’t happen every time but it is quite regular. Red, warm, painful.

I rotate my injection sites, and will avoid areas where I have recently had a reaction. But as it’s happening more often I’m running out of places to inject!

I mentioned it to my consultant at my last review - which was phone-based. It was brushed under the carpet and they sent me a “helpful” leaflet about rotating my injection sites (which I do anyway)

Anyway, just wondered whether this happens with anyone else? And any tips on managing it? Other than the usual rotate, new needle each time etc.

Thanks,
Em

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Over the last couple of years, I have been experiencing reactions when injecting. It doesn’t happen every time but it is quite regular. Red, warm, painful.

I rotate my injection sites, and will avoid areas where I have recently had a reaction. But as it’s happening more often I’m running out of places to inject!

I mentioned it to my consultant at my last review - which was phone-based. It was brushed under the carpet and they sent me a “helpful” leaflet about rotating my injection sites (which I do anyway)

Anyway, just wondered whether this happens with anyone else? And any tips on managing it? Other than the usual rotate, new needle each time etc.

Thanks,
Em

I think that 'red, warm, painful' indicates possible infection. If the consultant and hospital diabetes nurses only 'see' you on the telephone, would you consider showing it to a pharmacist? I have found pharmacists at Boots and Sainsbury's very helpful recently for a serious eye-infection when the GP did not have courage to see me, just asked for a photo. I am very fortunate indeed that my diabetes consultant and diabetes nurses have continued to see me mask to mask. Good luck.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be a reaction to a preservative in the insulin. I'd suggest you ask your diabetes team about trying a different one.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Thanks,
Em

Hi Em,

Welcome to the forum.

What insulins are you prescribed.?
When this happens, is the insulin at an ambient temprature or straight out the fridge?

Reactions: EllieM

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Just wondering if you use a needle more than once? Do you ever get any swelling at these sites, what size would you estimate, and have you taken your temperature? Actually a photo would be excellent!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

What length needles are you using? (No idea whether it makes a difference, but you could try swapping between 4mm and 8mm to see.)

EK297

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

I am on Levemir and NovoRapid - have been on them both for many years. Very, very rarely use the same needle twice, and when I do it’s when I’m out and about and need an unplanned correction dose. As I said, it happens rarely but I’d be lying if I said I never did it!

I use the 8mm needles.

Happens when the insulin is room temp. Again, I sometimes inject quite soon after taking a cartridge out of the fridge but not often.

Good shout about speaking to a pharmacist - will do that tomorrow. I imagine it will be a “speak to your consultant” type response but no harm in asking!

Picture below of a lump that has appeared after injecting into my leg. The redness has faded and it’s now come up in a bruise. Just to show the sort of lumps and bumps I am getting. Also another of the redness around an injection site from this morning.
745169D0-9185-48B6-940A-D3CBD4B37210.jpeg
8B702798-F0E4-4FF8-96B9-22C12DF8EF90.jpeg

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for information and pictures - both a great help.
Certainly looks like a reaction to injection, but cannot say if it's needle or insulin. Only other possible question is whether when the mark is at it’s most red - does it blanch under pressure?
If I had this, I would try a "dummy" run. Duplicate insulin injection but without using insulin. This would hopefully differentiate between needle and insulin reaction. I would do this to myself, but not recommend it to someone else!