Morning glucose

jenni52

I have been going for walks in the morning before breakfast. This morning I thought I would test when I got home and I had shot up from 6.1 (when I first got out of bed) to 9.8!

Would it be better for me to eat before I walk?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
If you want to eat of course you can but why eat if you're not hungry. As I see it the rise you are seeing is confirmation that your walk is doing its job and using up some stored glucose

jenni52

If you want to eat of course you can but why eat if you're not hungry. As I see it the rise you are seeing is confirmation that your walk is doing its job and using up some stored glucose
Ahh ok, I thought it should have been lower as exercise usually lowers glucose. I had never thought to tests straight after walking before, only 2 hours after breakfast which I eat when I return, and my bs is always at a good level. Been diabetic for years now and still learning new things!

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
This diabetes malarkey is a very individual thing, if I take a gentle walk after I have eaten I will see lower numbers afterwards. If I exercise before I've taken on any fuel then my liver helps out by dumping glucose into my blood. If I do any strenuous exercise at anytime my liver thinks I need help and gives me another shot of glucose

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Some people find that any exercise, even HIIT reduces their BG levels, while for others only gently exercise will have that effect and like you more vigorous exercise will raise them (liver helping out).
Similarly some find that fasting for longer will reduce their BG at the end of the fast, but for others it will slowly keep rising until they eat.

I found that my particular DP (Dawn Phenomenon) meant that my BG would start out quite high for some ( at around 7.8) and then often rise a little until I either had some food or exercise. After a breakfast of boiled eggs or cheese (or other zero carb meal) it would fall . Similarly with gentle exercise.

We are all different, in both our reactions to carbs and the way our livers and pancreas' help us out.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I have been going for walks in the morning before breakfast. This morning I thought I would test when I got home and I had shot up from 6.1 (when I first got out of bed) to 9.8!

Would it be better for me to eat before I walk?

I wouldn’t let that dissuade you from exercising. I do the same, I initially had spikes but they’re long gone. At the very least, repeat the experiment for a couple weeks, maybe you will notice a trend

Reactions: jenni52

target6point4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a non-diabetic doctor who wore a CGM.
He spiked to 9.8 when out for a run, it's just your body fueling you for strenuous exercise.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1163546496236752896.html
I have had a similar reading after a vigorous game of badminton once. However, the CGM (same as referenced in the article) and finger prick results were miles apart. Whie the CGM showed a value of 11+, the finger prick was under 6. CGM results cannot be trusted in special circumstances. Their accuracy is best when measuring steady state sugar levels.