Lo Carb diet suggestions

A

Anonymous

I'm a recently diagnosed T2 but I'm still struggling to come up with lo carb recipes and ideas for meals, most of the time it's porridge for breakfast and salads with chicken or fish, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi dodd and welcome to the forum :)

To find low carb recipes and suggestions your best place to look is in here:

viewforum.php?f=18

Another place to look is here, although these are not all low carb:

viewforum.php?f=3

where you will find hundreds of suggestions - the only problem could be is that there is too much choice :lol:

Carbdodger

Hello
never at a loss for low carb food.
I can't tolerate porridge. Eggs make a fab breakfast. Very versatile. With bacon at weekends. Lovely.
It's not just about salads. So many lovely veg work great.
Read and learn

cd

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
carbman said:
It's, lowcarb or high meds. You can't have both.

Just curious what this has to do with the question asked by the opening poster?

A

Anonymous

carbman said:
I don't mind Lo Carbs but high meds I would like to avoid that's why I asked for suggestions! :roll:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google low-carb recipes too. There are millions out there.

wiflib

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ref Carbman and a bit off-topic. I think you should have said 'low-carb or high meds; you choose'. Not that I agree as I low-carb and have high meds to avoid insulin. T2 covers a very wide spectrum of conditions.

For breakfast I often have egg and bacon instead of muesli. You don't have to stay with just chicken and fish. There are some great low-GI soups if you look at the labels and all the meats are OK in sensible quantities and then there are all the vegetables.

Angeleyes

carbman said:

What exactly do you term 'high meds'. Not arguing, just interested to know? :) There are many low carbers who also take metformin, would that be classed as high meds? It' an interesting statement to make I think.

Zoroaster

Dislikes
Not very much
Dunno if this'll help but one definition of high meds reads

Edie said:
For me it's not a question of high or low, more a question of unnecessary medication. At what point does it become unnecessary? when a diabetic is consuming food that has little nutritional or satiating value, and medicates to cover against BG rises. Food such as potatoes, normal bread, rice and pasta, gateaux and donuts etc. There are so many foods we can eat, that are very low in starch, and offer far more in the way of nutrients. They also require less insulin or medication to control BG

Which, if I'm reading that properly means that any medication you use while eating a "high" carb diet could be considered unnecessary, whilst any medication used while following a low carb diet is necessary. Therefore if there are two diabetics on exactly the same medication and one is a so-called high carber then he is on high meds whilst the low carber is on reasonable meds. Go figure!