Is it really an hypo when it is just bordeline

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may sound like a silly question: I have recently been diagnosed and would have a question about hypos as I have not been able to find an answer anywhere so far.

How concerned should one be about hypoglycemia, when it is only ever so close to the 4.0 mmol/L limit, e.g. 3.9 or 3.8.

I use a FreeStyle FreeStyle Libre CGM System to monitor my blood sugar and have noted how at night is sometimes very close the 4.0 mmol/L limit, usually at that level or slightly above. Only once it has gone further down to 3.6.

Should I be concerned when it goes ever so slightly below that limit or is it just common and harmless.

By way of context, the only medicine I take is Metformin (2,000 MG). I have a low carb diet and I am experimenting with intermittent fasting.

Reactions: EllieM

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This may sound like a silly question: I have recently been diagnosed and would have a question about hypos as I have not been able to find an answer anywhere so far.

How concerned should one be about hypoglycemia, when it is only ever so close to the 4.0 mmol/L limit, e.g. 3.9 or 3.8.

I use a FreeStyle FreeStyle Libre CGM System to monitor my blood sugar and have noted how at night is sometimes very close the 4.0 mmol/L limit, usually at that level or slightly above. Only once it has gone further down to 3.6.

Should I be concerned when it goes ever so slightly below that limit or is it just common and harmless.

By way of context, the only medicine I take is Metformin (2,000 MG). I have a low carb diet and I am experimenting with intermittent fasting.
as a type 2 only on metformin, you wont be having dangerous hypos. It sounds like your low carbing is working well and maybe you dont need as much metformin? The libre is also known to drop during sleep if your arm puts pressure on the sensor.

Reactions: cynetique

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as a type 2 only on metformin, you wont be having dangerous hypos. It sounds like your low carbing is working well and maybe you dont need as much metformin? The libre is also known to drop during sleep if your arm puts pressure on the sensor.
Thank you very much. That's very helpful.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre can be a bit off, I'd test with a glucose meter to see how accurate it is for you.
Also, non diabetics get numbers in the 3's as well, it's normal!

Diabetes as a rule doesn't give you hypo's, unless there's some different issue, the line is drawn at 4 to give diabetics on insulin or glucose lowering medication (not metformin) a bit of a safety buffer. The Libre and glucose meters have been designed with T1's in mind, which is why they give out a warning when going below 4.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I dip down into the 3s now and then and it doesn't seem to do any harm.
I know an endocrinologist (non-diabetic) who has a fasting level of 3.5.
So in general no worries but keep an eye on it if it keeps going down.
A Libre 2 should give you an alarm anyway.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above, my Consultant and several Diabetes personnel have said that many non diabetics go down into the mid 3s often and it is not cause for alarm, everything being equal.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As above, my Consultant and several Diabetes personnel have said that many non diabetics go down into the mid 3s often and it is not cause for alarm, everything being equal.
I’m not on drugs and have seen readings as low as 2.8
Mid 3s a fair few times too, more often than not after intense cardio

@cynetique at those pieces it might be worth speaking to doctor about the dosage especially if your general readings are into the near "normal" levels

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Be happy, I used to take 3’s as a huge pat on the back. Well done.

Reactions: EllieM

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not on drugs and have seen readings as low as 2.8
Mid 3s a fair few times too, more often than not after intense cardio

@cynetique at those pieces it might be worth speaking to doctor about the dosage especially if your general readings are into the near "normal" levels
Excellent idea. I will have to explain to my physician how instead of taking the Gliclazide I was prescribed, I decided to experiment with Intermittent Fasting.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent idea. I will have to explain to my physician how instead of taking the Gliclazide I was prescribed, I decided to experiment with Intermittent Fasting.
I'm a proponent of being open and honest with medical professionals. Sometimes, especially diabetes, the defaults can be to not believe T2 can improve without drugs but by us showing the reversals hopefully at least some in the profession can see there is alternatives

I like to think we can change hearts and minds :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should report to your doctor and maybe suggest that you don't need medication - particularly if your Hba1c is in the mid normal range.
Type two can be really dreadful if not taken seriously. I saw my grandmother die over a period of some years due to uncontrolled diabetes mellitus - but diet is a powerful tool and yet it is often overlooked.
It might help others to be guided into low carb etc. rather than prescribed tablets for the rest of their lives.

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should report to your doctor and maybe suggest that you don't need medication - particularly if your Hba1c is in the mid normal range.
Type two can be really dreadful if not taken seriously. I saw my grandmother die over a period of some years due to uncontrolled diabetes mellitus - but diet is a powerful tool and yet it is often overlooked.
It might help others to be guided into low carb etc. rather than prescribed tablets for the rest of their lives.
Thanks for the advice. I fully intend to do that when my physician is back from their holidays.

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a proponent of being open and honest with medical professionals. Sometimes, especially diabetes, the defaults can be to not believe T2 can improve without drugs but by us showing the reversals hopefully at least some in the profession can see there is alternatives

I like to think we can change hearts and minds :)

I totally agree. The circumstances have not allowed me to visit my physician.
I fully appreciate that the current guidelines for treatment may not be very conducive to experimenting with novel practices.

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
I get an absolute minging sore head if I go below 4 and your all saying 3.5 Is normal not for all it isn’t

if any of you drive it’s to be 5 and above DVLA rules.

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
I was told it’s 5 regardless for driving medicated or not.
Information was from DVLA

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you very much. That's very helpful.
To add to these wise words.. if you are getting less diabetic (less insulin resistant) via low carb then you will become more tolerant of blood sugar readings of 4 as your body gets more used to burning fat for fuel. Hopefully this means stable blood sugars without the feeling of needing to top up with carbs.
This doesn't apply to type 1s or type 2s on insulin where dosing errors can take you into hypo territory.