Just when I think I have got this..

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
..my blood glucose numbers rise a bit, just more into the pre-diabetic area, I get the shakes, feel hungry before I should, and start sweating off and on.

I've looked around the web for reasons why and the one that hit the closest to how I feel is a Dairy intolerance. I read this just before I came finding my symptoms was Hypoglycemia which I don't think would be me since my glucose numbers haven't gone below 91, and up to 103, 106 etc. Now they have been as high as 127.

I'm kind of leaning towards "too much dairy" as I eat cheese, 1 oz a day, and sometimes grab a cheese stick (always eat Mozarella). Then my fave lunch that never bothered my numbers before (may be doing it) a yogurt with only 2 g of sugar/carbs, called 2 Good Yogurt. Other wise I eat 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts and 1/4 cup blackberries, rasberries, or strawberries, same 1/4 cup. Dinners are just a meat, brocolli, cottage cheese, avocado, or spinach. No snacks except an occasional loaf of Almond Bread with creamcheese, but that is just a dessert right after dinner. No snacks after 6pm.

I started using Baking soda, 1 tsp in water before bed to stop the leg cramps and foot. Some sharp tiny points of pain, come and go, in big toe (s). I haven't been having any of that since.

I just don't get it unless it's the dairy products. I want to ask for feedback on any of this, but specifically, I heard Kefir is a good replacement for dairy but have not tried it. Any advice on that too I would appreciate, like how to fix it as I still like to be able to have some things taste good if they are bland. Kefir sounds bland but that's not fair since I haven't ever tried it. I have tried Almond "cheese" an that may be an option.

Thanks for any help as I can't figure this out but I have other issues than T2. I have migraines that have been flaring up, a tremor which the hypoglycemia "feeling" make so bad I couldn't fill out a form the other day I was shaking so bad. I have a job offer and am scared I'll fail that. My endurance isn't great either and nap a lot of days in the afternoons. I'm 68, but when I have a good day, I feel 10 years or more, younger, lots of energy. Can't figure it out. Geez, sorry about the book ;( Denise

I do take these Vitamins: C, D3, Magnesium, B1, Niacin and Zinc. Also added a bottle of Endure trace minerals to put in water, 12 drops a day is total.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not quite sure what your 'glucose numbers' are. They might be normal US blood glucose, or high Hba1c in the UK.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sorry bout that @Resurgam Forgot, those are daily pricks I do. I'm do for another HbA1c pretty soon. The mmol's are 5.05, 5.2, 5.3, and on up to just 6.3 (these aren't all with the numbers above but close). then I got up into higher fasting counts and after meals like the 125 or 6.9.

The numbers aren't so bad but the 6.9 I definitely don't like. It's the symptoms of hunger, before I should be hungry, shakiness, migraine type head pain. Figures this a.m I feel pretty good. And, that **** sweating ;(

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of things to rule out
(1) Are you currently fighting a virus/infection or are you under any considerable stress.
(2) Have you opened a new batch of strips recently or changed meter.

Nothing in your diet set off any alarms.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry bout that @Resurgam Forgot, those are daily pricks I do. I'm do for another HbA1c pretty soon. The mmol's are 5.05, 5.2, 5.3, and on up to just 6.3 (these aren't all with the numbers above but close). then I got up into higher fasting counts and after meals like the 125 or 6.9.

The numbers aren't so bad but the 6.9 I definitely don't like. It's the symptoms of hunger, before I should be hungry, shakiness, migraine type head pain. Figures this a.m I feel pretty good. And, that **** sweating ;(
Those numbers are perfect for blood glucose levels.
If the symptoms have only started fairly recently, I wonder if you might be dehydrated, particularly as you mention cramps. I tried all sorts of electrolytes, but what stopped the night time cramps dead was a pint of water.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Couple of things to rule out
(1) Are you currently fighting a virus/infection or are you under any considerable stress.
(2) Have you opened a new batch of strips recently or changed meter.

Nothing in your diet set off any alarms.
Thank you @Ronancastled The strips are almost gone I ordered last, 50 a pack and monitor seems to be working aok and lances working, fine. I didn't mention the fact I seem much, less stressed and much less anxiety, and the shaking does get worse when I have higher anxiety, like even watching the wrong kind of program can get me sweating more. God help me as I do have a real problem with stress, but I feel less like attacking people at least, LOL!!

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a note about Kefir ….. it is great for gut health as it’s a probiotic that contains 30+ good probiotics and has been around for centuries. In its natural state it tastes like Greek yogurt but you can also get it in many flavours i.e. cherry. It’s known to lower blood sugar, reduce blood pressure and helps cholesterol. Kefir is also an excellent source of the mineral magnesium. Studies have shown that magnesium supports processes like nerve impulses and muscle contraction, and helps to normalize heart rhythm. My wife swears by it …. and it keeps hunger pangs at bay.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Those numbers are perfect for blood glucose levels.
If the symptoms have only started fairly recently, I wonder if you might be dehydrated, particularly as you mention cramps. I tried all sorts of electrolytes, but what stopped the night time cramps dead was a pint of water.

Was that before bed @Resurgam because I am concerned about using baking soda too often. Walking more, exercise walking, may reduce that too, not sure. I do like the Electrolytes, they seem to have everything (Endure I bought from Amazon) but no nutritonal percentages of potassium, calcium or magnesium, salt which are the ones they say they have.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was that before bed @Resurgam because I am concerned about using baking soda too often. Walking more, exercise walking, may reduce that too, not sure. I do like the Electrolytes, they seem to have everything (Endure I bought from Amazon) but no nutritonal percentages of potassium, calcium or magnesium, salt which are the ones they say they have.
It was a pint of water when woken up, at first I used to stagger along to the bathroom so as not to disturb my husband, but now I drink half a pint of water when I shut down the kitchen, and then another half a pint on my way to bed and I sleep undisturbed.
Nothing else I tried seemed to work.
I drink another half a pint when I get up in the morning, just to be sure of better hydration these days.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just a note about Kefir ….. it is great for gut health as it’s a probiotic that contains 30+ good probiotics and has been around for centuries. In its natural state it tastes like Greek yogurt but you can also get it in many flavours i.e. cherry. It’s known to lower blood sugar, reduce blood pressure and helps cholesterol. Kefir is also an excellent source of the mineral magnesium. Studies have shown that magnesium supports processes like nerve impulses and muscle contraction, and helps to normalize heart rhythm. My wife swears by it …. and it keeps hunger pangs at bay.
Ok good, I'll get some today. I think our Healthfood store probably carries it, and, our Grocer Outlet, I think I've seen it there. If it's at all like yogurt, I could just add my own flavoring which I like vanilla best. I don't know if Vanilla Extract is T2 safe?? Then I "will" get into it if it is better for me than the Two Good yogurt (very low carb).

I didn't mention here, but I should tell you all I had the Madrona Vaccines (2 shot deal). I never got sick from those, but he dates I did them could coincide with my symptoms. First jab 5/5/212, Second 6/2/21. Don't ask me why I went ahead and got it, I don't really know the bottom line on why. No serious side-effects, but a bit of lethargy, which I've had that before and after jabs too.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It was a pint of water when woken up, at first I used to stagger along to the bathroom so as not to disturb my husband, but now I drink half a pint of water when I shut down the kitchen, and then another half a pint on my way to bed and I sleep undisturbed.
Nothing else I tried seemed to work.
I drink another half a pint when I get up in the morning, just to be sure of better hydration these days.
Yes, I'm not good at getting in enough water, so I have upped that since I got the electrolytes. Maybe I don't need them but I'll see how a daily amount of water, and be consistent with it, helps, thank so much @Resurgam

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Deffo agree with you on hydration. I drink a minimum of 2 litres a day and generally not more than 3. More trips to the bathroom but I’m hydrated and kidneys are doing their job flushing out any toxins. Perrier works for me if I fancy a change from tap water !

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's the symptoms of hunger, before I should be hungry, shakiness, migraine type head pain
Two suggestions: (1) It is possible to catch Covid even after two jabs, and for the doubly vaccinated the symptoms are different and include migraine and, I think, shaking. A friend of mine who had had his first Pfizer jab developed terrible migraines and shakes. An emergency brain scan showed nothing, and after a while he recovered completely and has no such symptoms since. (2) Coincidentally, I have been researching beta blockers. I see they can be prescribed for migraines, and also to take as needed for anxiety-provoking situations. Maybe that might help with filling in forms, job interviews etc.? Even knowing one had such a pill might be enough to conquer the anxiety. (I am writing as one anxious person to another! Maybe I have just convinced myself to accept adding a beta blocker to my poly-pharmacy.)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
..my blood glucose numbers rise a bit, just more into the pre-diabetic area, I get the shakes, feel hungry before I should, and start sweating off and on.

I've looked around the web for reasons why and the one that hit the closest to how I feel is a Dairy intolerance. I read this just before I came finding my symptoms was Hypoglycemia which I don't think would be me since my glucose numbers haven't gone below 91, and up to 103, 106 etc. Now they have been as high as 127.

I'm kind of leaning towards "too much dairy" as I eat cheese, 1 oz a day, and sometimes grab a cheese stick (always eat Mozarella). Then my fave lunch that never bothered my numbers before (may be doing it) a yogurt with only 2 g of sugar/carbs, called 2 Good Yogurt. Other wise I eat 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts and 1/4 cup blackberries, rasberries, or strawberries, same 1/4 cup. Dinners are just a meat, brocolli, cottage cheese, avocado, or spinach. No snacks except an occasional loaf of Almond Bread with creamcheese, but that is just a dessert right after dinner. No snacks after 6pm.

I started using Baking soda, 1 tsp in water before bed to stop the leg cramps and foot. Some sharp tiny points of pain, come and go, in big toe (s). I haven't been having any of that since.

I just don't get it unless it's the dairy products. I want to ask for feedback on any of this, but specifically, I heard Kefir is a good replacement for dairy but have not tried it. Any advice on that too I would appreciate, like how to fix it as I still like to be able to have some things taste good if they are bland. Kefir sounds bland but that's not fair since I haven't ever tried it. I have tried Almond "cheese" an that may be an option.

Thanks for any help as I can't figure this out but I have other issues than T2. I have migraines that have been flaring up, a tremor which the hypoglycemia "feeling" make so bad I couldn't fill out a form the other day I was shaking so bad. I have a job offer and am scared I'll fail that. My endurance isn't great either and nap a lot of days in the afternoons. I'm 68, but when I have a good day, I feel 10 years or more, younger, lots of energy. Can't figure it out. Geez, sorry about the book ;( Denise

I do take these Vitamins: C, D3, Magnesium, B1, Niacin and Zinc. Also added a bottle of Endure trace minerals to put in water, 12 drops a day is total.
Hiya - those numbers look OK to me. I understand you're not feeling great - are you actually eating enough? I think your food is fine as far as low carb goes, and you could probably up the quantity easily, if you are still hungry. The sweating is another matter - I sort of thought my symptoms would go with remission (and they mostly have) but I'm waking drenched most mornings now. Nothing seems to make any difference, except recently I've noticed that keeping the room completely dark might have some benefits.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Two suggestions: (1) It is possible to catch Covid even after two jabs, and for the doubly vaccinated the symptoms are different and include migraine and, I think, shaking. A friend of mine who had had his first Pfizer jab developed terrible migraines and shakes. An emergency brain scan showed nothing, and after a while he recovered completely and has no such symptoms since. (2) Coincidentally, I have been researching beta blockers. I see they can be prescribed for migraines, and also to take as needed for anxiety-provoking situations. Maybe that might help with filling in forms, job interviews etc.? Even knowing one had such a pill might be enough to conquer the anxiety. (I am writing as one anxious person to another! Maybe I have just convinced myself to accept adding a beta blocker to my poly-pharmacy.)
Thank you for this, and I have heard of Beta Blockers but will read up on them again. I really shy from any 'scripts, and I keep thinking I can have real, quality of life, through foods/nutritous and T2 friendly, but sometimes I feel I am fighting a losing battle with this freaking anxiety especially. I've had migraines my whole 68 years of living, but they had subsided shortly after doing Keto/low carb. I was so happy. Now, something is causing them again, but after the help today here on the forum, I think it's water, lack thereof. We'll see how it goes, and I will come back and report. More water today, electrolytes (since I already bought them), and Kefir is big on my list of "eats" ;) Denise

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hiya - those numbers look OK to me. I understand you're not feeling great - are you actually eating enough? I think your food is fine as far as low carb goes, and you could probably up the quantity easily, if you are still hungry. The sweating is another matter - I sort of thought my symptoms would go with remission (and they mostly have) but I'm waking drenched most mornings now. Nothing seems to make any difference, except recently I've noticed that keeping the room completely dark might have some benefits.
I also have to look at my time of being on Keto/low carb diet. It hasn't been a full 5 months yet, and I need to remember it will take time. I read here of someone reaching their goals in a year (and feeling good I assumed as well) and living 68 years eating wrong isn't going to be healed all in a short period of time. I just hope it doesn't take another 68 to heal me, or get back quality of life since I won't have enough time left, ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I forgot to answer your question about "how much" I'm eating and for my TDEE ( I follow that, Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and Basal Metabolic Rate, so I eat around 1400 calories a day. Pretty sure that's enough, and I've been losing pretty steady, but slowly. I was 136, a lot of belly-fat mostly, or it looked like it, and I am at 119-120 now. 5'2". I don't want to lose much more and work with weight-training and walking (walking is my fave, about 4 mph for 30 min. to an hour) Not lately though as I don't feel good enough.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Deffo agree with you on hydration. I drink a minimum of 2 litres a day and generally not more than 3. More trips to the bathroom but I’m hydrated and kidneys are doing their job flushing out any toxins. Perrier works for me if I fancy a change from tap water !
Hi again @Nicknackwack I called and we definitely have Kefir in our small town :) I remember now it is more of a liquid. They have flavors, but I shy from those, rather add my own "T2" safe berries, stevia ;) I'll let you know, everyone here, how that goes. Kefir has come up so many times, and I think I'll feel atleast safer consuming that than the yogurt. I also want to try a cheese replacement like Almond Cheese I think it's called from Health food store. I may have an allergy to casein, kind of doubt it, but want to try things different starting today ;)