Just when I think I have got this..

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
I was prescribed them at 14 for chronic migraines & took them until I was 21.
They did a great job.
They did work for you, or did you mean you took the beta blockers til you were 21, the migraines were gone after that?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They did work for you, or did you mean you took the beta blockers til you were 21, the migraines were gone after that?

Migraines reduced from one a week to maybe one every 3 months on beta blockers.
From my 20s to my 30s I could get rashes of them, like a cluster in the space of a few weeks with varying nausea.
In my 40s I became one of the 10% who only suffered the aural disturbance without the resulting headache.
Post diagnosis & after going low carb plus losing weight they disappeared, I know believe glucose spikes were the trigger.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Migraines reduced from one a week to maybe one every 3 months on beta blockers.
From my 20s to my 30s I could get rashes of them, like a cluster in the space of a few weeks with varying nausea.
In my 40s I became one of the 10% who only suffered the aural disturbance without the resulting headache.
Post diagnosis & after going low carb plus losing weight they disappeared, I know believe glucose spikes were the trigger.
I believe it's a spike in glucose as well. They were literally gone when my numbers were the lowest, and this last few days more migraine, just the pain in one temple or the other, no warning signs such as aura, or numbness in left arm, and left side of face. I even got aphasia a few times which was really disconcerting ;( but no more since new Keto diet. Something I ate lately though had to have a negative effect, or, not enough water/liquids ;)

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I believe it's a spike in glucose as well. They were literally gone when my numbers were the lowest, and this last few days more migraine, just the pain in one temple or the other, no warning signs such as aura, or numbness in left arm, and left side of face. I even got aphasia a few times which was really disconcerting ;( but no more since new Keto diet. Something I ate lately though had to have a negative effect, or, not enough water/liquids ;)
Everyone is different, but numbers in the 5's and 6's seem more in line with normal blood readings than spikes per se. I wouldn't be surprised if your symptoms are created or exacerbated by some other factor, eg hydration, anxiety, nutrition/ hunger etc. Good luck with it: in terms of diabetes control, you seem to be doing well.

Last edited:

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, I agree Geordie, but when mine are running 100 and below, or in the 5 points only and all of a sudden, I get nervous. I don't want to miss something I might be eating wrong. I a health-nut, and have some big plans for my future, even at 68, to be able to work this new job I have lined up etc.

I am feeling way better already since starting more water, including one 2 Cup first thing in a.m. with my Endure electrolyte drops. I still have some milder migraine, but I think it could be on the run now thanks to the help I got here ;) I couldn't afford the Kefir, so just focused on my vitamins, and enough water ;)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember too that not all migraine triggers are food or health related. I can be triggered by bright or reflective lights and by thunderstorms, and by relaxation of stress. When working i often used to get one on a Saturday morning if the week had been busy.
I have had fewer migraines since low carb, but can still be triggered by these other non food events

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
good reminder, and point @MrsA2 I was thinking how weird our weather turned, and it turned fast. More dampness with humidity.

Reactions: MrsA2