Beta blocker advice please

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will soon have to decide whether to take Propranolol (a beta blocker) in addition to the Flecainide, Dabigatran and Glucophage I am already taking. Initially this seemed a good idea, to address my uncomfortable problems of high resting heart rate AND essential tremor. However, I now read that Propranolol is likely to raise blood glucose AND trigs, as well as lowering HDL cholesterol. (My trigs are already higher than I would like.) I am hoping someone has been taking Propranolol, and can comment on its effects, or alternatively can recommend another beta blocker. I read that there are newer selective beta blockers that may have less / no effect on bg, compared to Propranolol, which is older and non-selective.
There was an interesting discussion on the topic about 3 years ago, but maybe people have newer experiences to share. I do hope so!

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using Bisoprolol (5mg) since 2013, when my blood pressure and heart rate during the Canadian winter suddenly went crazy(190/100 and HR 90). I am still struggling with my BP (not as high as it was), but my HR is now between 55 and 63. The consequence was that I could not do a stress test during my annual physicals, because I cannot get my HR sufficiently high. Bisoprolol has had no impact on my blood sugar.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I also take Bisoprolol, my bp is 120/70 ish but take drugs for that, my cholesterol is 3.3 (no idea of trigs) but take drugs for that, bg very good but take drugs for that, in summary.... no idea lol

I did recently read (British heart foundation forum) that the olol drugs make you gain weight, this of course can affect bg so may be worth considering if you don’t need the extra weight.

Best of luck with it all.

edit, heart rate a little low

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to take Bisoprolol when I had atrial fibrillation. It didn't affect my BGs but I did put on weight.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking propranolol for anxiety/ performance related tremor - as needed (not daily) for many years. It does not raise my bs level at all and my trigs are very low.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
The beta blocker group of drugs are widely documented to possibly affect blood sugar level.
It is (usually) a very small amount if any. Certainly doesn't affect mine - and I have surreptitiously experimented.
The far greater, possibly serious problem is the fact beta blockers can attenuate, or blunt the warning symptoms and signs of hypoglycaemia. Thereby your blood sugar is lower before you recognise it.

Edit: I have no knowledge of the dyslipdaemia side of things

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I was talking Bisoprolol , no side effects to report except it did lower my BP. I lost a ton of weight while on it, so it didn’t effect my exercise/diet plan

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on Carvedilol which is a selective beta blocker. I had heart failure followed by a successful cardiac ablation some 18 months ago. The upside is that it does protect your heart. The downside is that it does elevate your BS levels, certainly in me, but only slightly. I’d recommend a discussion with your GP or Cardiologist. michita is spot on when he says beta blockers impact BS levels, it’s well documented but it is trial and error to find one that is suitable for you.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The beta blocker group of drugs are widely documented to possibly affect blood sugar level.
It is (usually) a very small amount if any. Certainly doesn't affect mine - and I have surreptitiously experimented.
Which beta blocker are you taking?

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you give some numbers?
I’m currently being screened for LADA and had a pancreatic MRI yesterday, so bear that in mind. My BS is high @ 16mmol/l and raises to 24mmol/l after taking Carvedilol. But I’m stable with no diabetic symptoms other than high BS. A recent ECG & TTE of my heart showed excellent refraction rate of 55% and above.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Does that limit how vigorously you can exercise?

No, you can still exercise as vigorously as you want.

I think for the stress test to work,one's HR has to exceed 140/150 when o the treadmill. I just could not get there, so I had to go the nuclear medicine dept of the hospital where they injected me with radio-active (?) stuff to conduct the test.

OmegaPrize

Medication is good when it is necessary, but if there is a way to do it naturally I always prefer it.

I had a heart issue as well and was going to be put on beta blockers. As a last ditch effort to avoid the drug and side affects I tried the Wim Hoff breathing technique (you can find free tutorials on Youtube) a couple times a day. Sure enough, it worked a little immediately and the more I did it the lower my heart symptoms became. I have been able to stay off the beta blockers as long as I do it at least once a day. Might not work for you, but probably worth trying.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried the Wim Hoff breathing technique
Thanks very much for the tip - as long as I don't have to sit in any ice baths or even take cold showers! I'd prefer taking beta-blockers. Did the breathing lower your heart rate or other heart-related symptoms?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is on 6.25mg of Bisoprolol for his AFib which does help however one of the side effects is asthma which he now has but his last hba1c was normal