Dapagliflozin

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone on this have thrush issues?? Is so, what did you do?

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Drink a lot of water, I did use cranberry supplements too but it was the fluid intake that helped the most. And I do mean a lot of water...

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone on this have thrush issues?? Is so, what did you do?
For me when I had it, Canestan cream (or equivalent) and an over the counter pill helped. I can’t remember exact name but it’s standard treatment. You have my sympathy though, it was the worst side effect I have ever had from a diabetic drug plus the back ache wasn’t fun.

Always sensible to speak to your doctor anyway but when I did that was their suggestion without even seeing me, they saw me later to check and said to continue that treatment

to try an avoid as @1970clea says, drink lots of water

It’s unfortunately a really common side effect of this pill. I found it had a good effect on my blood sugars prior to taking my different approach but it has its challenges

Last edited:

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went and got a pill and cream from boots. They didn’t want to sell them to me but I said I can’t physically wait weeks for an appointment. It’s unbearable! I hope this does the trick! My fasting bs has gone from 12 to 7 so I don’t want to come off it, but it’s hard to spend most of your life scratching in public

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
drink, drink and drink some more 6ish years and (fingers crossed) not had a bout

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went and got a pill and cream from boots. They didn’t want to sell them to me but I said I can’t physically wait weeks for an appointment. It’s unbearable! I hope this does the trick! My fasting bs has gone from 12 to 7 so I don’t want to come off it, but it’s hard to spend most of your life scratching in public
Well given that doctors won’t prescribe it and it’s over the counter rather than waiting it was something I did, I did also go to the doctor and they basically just said exactly the same. It’s a good idea with side effects to speak to dr anyway

I found the pill worked along with the cream and not the cream on its own, but it did take a few days for the pain to subside and then it to clear up totally.

I did only have one instance of it occurring but yeah, I understand totally and hope it clears up soon

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My problem is heart failure and having to limit my liquid intake!

Lindam 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had recurring thrush for the past 2 years since being prescribed dapagliflozin and have taken many Canasten treatments. I have only just discovered the connection between the two. I have requested an appointment with my gp as this has never been discussed and they just keep giving me the same treatment.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had recurring thrush for the past 2 years since being prescribed dapagliflozin and have taken many Canasten treatments. I have only just discovered the connection between the two. I have requested an appointment with my gp as this has never been discussed and they just keep giving me the same treatment.
That's really disappointing, when I was prescribed it was the first thing they warned me about.

It is actually the only diabetic med I've had real side effects from (I don't count normal Metformin as the SR was fine for me but that's a bit misleading I know)

Thrush and back pain. Not fun

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had thrush shortly after starting this med a while back. It needed severe treatment with Deflucane which is a really heavy duty antibiotic that has more dangerous side effects than the problem it is prescribed to subdue. Never seen 3 pages of side effects and contraindications in the BNF before.

They call it thrush but in reality, it is just a UTI. So Canesten and treatments for Candida Albicans will not necessarily tackle it or even touch it.

I have recently been put on it again in light of my heart problem, not for sugar control. It is a low dose, but I am already getting back pain. So far the waterworks are clear, but I was warned to wash that area thoroughly 3 times a day inside and out to prevent sugar-induced UTI. As a male that is not easily achieved. I still have some Clotrimazole left over from last time (7 years ago) and I wonder if it is still useful? Better fit than the tablets my wife was using. hey?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had thrush shortly after starting this med a while back. It needed severe treatment with Deflucane which is a really heavy duty antibiotic that has more dangerous side effects than the problem it is prescribed to subdue. Never seen 3 pages of side effects and contraindications in the BNF before.

They call it thrush but in reality, it is just a UTI. So Canesten and treatments for Candida Albicans will not necessarily tackle it or even touch it.

I have recently been put on it again in light of my heart problem, not for sugar control. It is a low dose, but I am already getting back pain. So far the waterworks are clear, but I was warned to wash that area thoroughly 3 times a day inside and out to prevent sugar-induced UTI. As a male that is not easily achieved. I still have some Clotrimazole left over from last time (7 years ago) and I wonder if it is still useful? Better fit than the tablets my wife was using. hey?
I used canestan and a tablet from over the counter when I had it. Both combined worked for me, I did need the over the counter though, canestan alone didn't work very well.

The drug works, it did help prior to my other changes but it does have aspects to it that need to be aware of, as with all drugs to be fair

7 year ago, probably not a good idea!

Robbie64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on Forxiga this year and did have some problems with thrush but before it got too bad I had a bad reaction to the medication and ended up in hospital with both dehydration and swelling in my throat. My heart rate rose to over 100 and my blood pressure fell to 90/60. I had to stop taking the tablets which at least cured the thrush problem.