Help please, can't bring levels down

Caroline2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Marie, GP won't do at primary level, hopefully referral will come through quickly and will push for all the bells and whistles to be pulled out!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks Marie, GP won't do at primary level, hopefully referral will come through quickly and will push for all the bells and whistles to be pulled out!

Do you have any way to test for ketones? Urine strips? The issue here is that if it turns out you are T1/LADA (a possibility at this stage) the lack of insulin can cause diabetic ketoacidosis, which needs immediate treatment (ie call 111).
Diabetic ketoacidosis - NHS - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Caroline2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ellie, I have a meter and a Type 1 daughter so very familiar with DKA sadly, at the first signs I'll take appropriate action :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Oh gosh, you definitely need to get tested for type 1. We inherit a gene that makes it possible to get type 1. They believe a virus can start the action that causes it. And Covid btw seems to be one of those viruses. Your daughter inherited the gene through her dad or you.

And just to add. DKA is caused by a lack of insulin. High blood sugars are a sign of that lack. It can hit pretty fast, that’s all your daughter needs is for you to end up hospitalized from DKA. Be careful there’s a tipping point with a type one when that happens.

Caroline2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes totally agree but GP won't test, have to wait for endo referral to decide whether to do or not.

My daughter is an adult so she'll be ok if it comes to it ;) fingers crossed it won't happen though! We've unfortunately lots of experience of DKA including kussmaul breathing so all on alert just in case.

Anyone know why my amylase might be so low please and what it may be indicative of?