I have a question about being thirsty?

DonCorleone

Hi, I hope all having a nice day.

All people who develop diabetes were always thirsty before being diagnosed?.

In other words, if a person has all the symptoms of diabetes except for thirst, is it possible that they do not have the disease?

Thanks for ur reply.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

No. Some people have no symptoms at all, they get diagnosed by a random blood test.

In other words, if a person has all the symptoms of diabetes except for thirst, is it possible that they do not have the disease?

Certainly possible. There are lots of symptoms for diabetes, and many of them can be caused by other illnesses. Really, the only way to tell is to go to your doctor and get a blood test. Failing that, you can get a blood testing meter and do a large number of blood tests to make an educated guess, but you'll still need that doctor's diagnosis.

Reactions: Omar51

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
No, I wasn’t thirsty and to this day I don’t ever get thirsty.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for ur reply.
I was not thirsty. In addition, I never had the "frequent urination" that is supposed to be the usual symptom for diabetes, and instead I had and have fluid retention.

The medical view at the moment is that T2 diabetes is diagnosed with a BG level of +48mmol/mol, regardless of what symptoms present. 48 was chosen (according to the Handbook of Diabetes) because diabetic retinopathy is relatively rare below that figure. So - if you've had a confirmed HbA1c reading of over 48, you are, as far as the medics are concerned, diabetic and that will be recorded on your medical notes and inform the treatment you get from health care providers, insurance companies, etc.

I had diabetes symptoms going back over ten years but was firmly told that I didn't have diabetes (because I hadn't reached 48 then). I know individuals with BGs in the diabetic range who report no symptoms at all. My personal feeling is that while the medics may want/need to intervene where someone has a high BG without symptoms, ignoring the diabetic symptoms of people with BGs lower than 48 is a mistake.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for ur reply.
I was chained to the sink, drinking like a fish and correspondingly urinating a lot

But that was towards the end when I suspect my blood levels were are their highest. I was also extremely short tempered

many people don’t have symptoms at all, and that’s the problem in many cases. Long term damage from high bloods when not diagnosed could be causing untold damage

Reactions: HeliGary

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

Thanks for ur reply.

No.. I never suffered from thirst in the early years

In fact I had no symptoms what so ever..

I went to the GP said I’m diabetic.. they said yes you are.

I do need however suffer thirst if bg is high

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I was chained to the sink, drinking like a fish and correspondingly urinating a lot

But that was towards the end when I suspect my blood levels were are their highest. I was also extremely short tempered

many people don’t have symptoms at all, and that’s the problem in many cases. Long term damage from high bloods when not diagnosed could be causing untold damage
I used to stand at the kitchen sink, down a pint of water, refill the glass, down another pint, walk off with another pint, drank that in five minutes and be dieing of thirst, the good ole days huh :) must’ve had amazing kidneys

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was never thirsty I need to drink more if anything. I did have some other symptoms though looking back.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to stand at the kitchen sink, down a pint of water, refill the glass, down another pint, walk off with another pint, drank that in five minutes and be dieing of thirst, the good ole days huh :) must’ve had amazing kidneys
I don’t know if any research has been carried out to whether level of blood sugars relate. I could imagine that in sone the body is desperate to get rid of the excess glucose so tries to make you thirsty in order to flush it out. I did have fast weight loss at the same time which lend me to think that was the case for me

certain drugs like the ‘flozins cause similar effects

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd like to agree with the others here that you could have diabetes and not show the symptom of thirst.
It's also true that it's possible you might not have diabetes.
I think that if you are concerned about having diabetes, the best course of action is to get tested with an HbA1c to get an accurate picture of what is going on: that way you can take appropriate action- there is a lot you can do to ward off T2 diabetes before it really sets in, and a lot you can do to control it if it has set in. If you are talking about T1, it's a different situation, but again, there are a lot of good management options. The earlier a test can be done, the better.

CallMeAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had no symptoms except for a dry mouth - I wouldn't exactly call it thirst. It was that which led me to the doctor's and eventually resulted in my diagnosis of T2, HbA1C of 67. That was 22 April this year. Now, 3 months later I still get the dry mouth, but somewhat less so. Hoping to go for a three-month blood test very soon, and hoping for good results after dropping almost all carbs and sugar and carefully watching my diet.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

Thanks for ur reply.
Hi Don. I was diagnosed five years ago, due to only ONE 'symptom' which was that my vision suddenly became perfect! I have never ever had a thirst, or frequent nightly loo trips, and no family history. So yes it is right that we don't always have the Classic symptoms. I did have occasional but very slight tingling in my fingers about every four/five weeks or so but absolutely nothing else out of the usual.

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t have any symptoms and certainly not increased thirst. My brother’s undergoing a raft of tests as he has a horrendous thirst, but Diabetes has been ruled out.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Thirst can be a physiological response to the blood being of higher viscosity than normal, due to increase in blood glucose amounts. Probably, this may be mediated by time. We do develop tolerances over time. This may be the reason why T1 have more thirst than T2 do - slower onset allows for tolerances.