Not diagnosed, high blood sugars

Reboyd1

I have not been diagnosed just randomly took BS it was 400 I don't want to take medication can I reduce it by diet alone

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have not been diagnosed just randomly took BS it was 400 I don't want to take medication can I reduce it by diet alone

Welcome to the forums @Reboyd1 . With a reading like that (22 mmol/L in UK units) you should really see a medical practitioner, as that is dangerously high. (Though if you hadn't washed your hands properly before the test it could be an error). If you have T2 diabetes (and that is a big if) it is possible that you may be able to reduce your levels by low carbing, but you need a medical appointment to diagnose. (eg if you have T1 or LADA then you need insulin or you will die.) And there are probably other things than diabetes that cause high bgs so you really need a diagnosis from a doctor, not a forum.

If it turns out that you have T2 then these forums have lots of advice on how to reduce your levels via diet, (though it may be a good idea to take some meds as well, at least at first.)

Please please see a medical professional.

Also, your question would probably get more attention if I moved it to its own thread for you. Would you like me or another mod to do this?

Reactions: In Response

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am making a appt. But took BS this Am still high but at 350 and then retook it was at 304
Hi @Reboyd1 , welcome to the forum!
I've moved your post to a thread of its own so you might get some more replies :)

Have you made an appt already? Please do so urgently. While it's good it has come down, your blood glucose is still very high.
Wish you all the best, and keep us updated.

Reactions: EllieM

Jackbrad13

Another newbie here :) I’m not diagnosed and so many ‘normal’ readings on Google hard to know what to follow or who to ask. Fasted am reading was 8.0 mmol/l is that pre diabetic reading or nothing to worry about? Thanks

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I am making a appt. But took BS this Am still high but at 350 and then retook it was at 304

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are making the appointment to get a diagnosis. Let us know how you go

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another newbie here :) I’m not diagnosed and so many ‘normal’ readings on Google hard to know what to follow or who to ask. Fasted am reading was 8.0 mmol/l is that pre diabetic reading or nothing to worry about? Thanks
Possibly diabetic, you need to get an HbA1c test from a doctor to confirm.