Does eating more fat increase weight loss?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've cut carbs to say 50g, but still trying to get clear in my head, does eating more fat directly help you loose weight, so you eat fat to loose fat, or is it that it fills you up, helps you avoid eating too many carbs or too much protein, and so control bs levels and as a consequence loose weight? I am going to try eating more fat as been feeling hungry and don't want to slip back into eating more carbs, so guess I'll find out what happens soon, but interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks

I think it's more that it stops you eating carbs and replaces the lost energy

"Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb."

" Don't do low carb low fat " @4.00 min in to video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
upload_2015-2-18_14-19-32.png

Reactions: 2 people

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's more that it stops you eating carbs and replaces the lost energy

"Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb."

" Don't do low carb low fat " @4.00 min in to video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
View attachment 11877

Hello @jack412, thanks so much for posting this, great guy and convincing.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco five or six quid and worth it.
First I bought was in China town in Liverpool by a company who's label name is KTC.
It's a bit iffy.
I emailed them to ask if it was safe to ingest they said yes but said nothing else.
All over the internet there are people it seems who have questioned the quality of this product.
It's good for external use.
The one in Tesco is triple filtered and tastes and smells like coconut.
The one in this picture is cheaper and like I say a bit suspect for internal use ....

View attachment 11872
I use this also for oil pulling, since you don't swallow, just spit it out after use. Most of the brands in supermarkets taste rather ****** but Lucy Bee and Tiana is really good.

Prachishah

well, eating more fat and fewer starches implies simpler fat consumption, less appetite, and a superior shot at losing weight. Leptin is another chemical significant for feeling satisfied.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
If you go higher fat you must cut the carbs or you'll pile the pounds on.
The fat replaces carbs for your energy supply.
I never buy low fat no fat semi skimmed products only full fat.
Full fat is normal food all the rest are industrial products that appeared in the 70's and diabetes starts rising as the fat is removed and mostly replaced with sugar or more scientific food like products.
Fat doesn't make you fat sugars make you fat.
I now take a magnifying glass with me when shopping.
Sugars come in many forms and it's worth doing a little research online and then remembering when you see three or four different kinds of sugar on a label.
Stop and think too... what are all those ingredients in what should be a simple product?
I can't even pronounce many of them let along digest them.
A pie a sausage a ready meal what are those long lists of things that are in that product?
Yes yes they help it to be stored in the warehouse for six months then six months at the shop then six months at your house but what are they?
These are scientific industrial products from big pharma and big oil.
Letting those people into our food chain was never going to end well was it.
A lot of these things are what have become known as food like products but they aren't food.
The pile you ate today was never tested for dosage with the pile you ate yesterday or how much mixing one with another messes with your mind and body so it is worth missing out as much of those unknowns as possible.
Want a snack have some nuts and berries have a tin of fish or maybe try not to have anything.
Celery tomatoes etc.
Those health bars... read before buying.
Sweeteners? Diet coke? Sweeteners actually kill your gut biome ad if you drink enugh of the stuff always have a wee little white pill in your twenty cups of tea may actually wipe out those essential bugs all together so you'r running on empty as far as those essential little bugs go.
Eat fresh eat raw eat cooked eat preserved pickled fermented whatever but try to eat food not the chemistry set and you'll feel and perform so much better.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Lisa69free

I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this. I haven't read every post sorry. A few years ago I was trying to lose weight and while on Slimming World plan I had lost half my goal weight then it halted. I did some research and found a plan called the Harcombe diet. High fat low carb. It worked great, fat doesn't make you fat. It's what you eat with it.

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
This is because fat requires more work for your body to break down, and it makes you feel more satiated, with less hunger between meals which leads to snacking. Since it takes longer than carbs to metabolize, it gives you energy consistently throughout the day. Carbs cause your blood sugar to spike, which results in insulin dropping your blood sugar super low. This gives you a "sugar rush" and then a crash, where you feel lethargic and hungry.
Here are some links with science:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz39ZdTW3iN
http://examine.com/faq/will-carbs-make-me-fat.html
https://digital-planner.com/fitness/weight-loss-planner

Last edited: