My grandfather has Type 2, and I am concerned about symptoms for myself.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: OmegaPrize

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I had the same symptoms as Andydragon along with extreme tiredness. I think I was too tired to be in a bad mood most of the time though! I also had a very high HbA1c, 108.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
For people that were recently diagnosed. What were your initial symptoms?
My eyesight suddenly became PERFECT! It lasted for five days. My Optician decided to send me for a blood test, where it was picked up. I had very slight (hardly noticable) tingling in my finger tips just every once in a while. Nothing else at all though

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't have any symptoms - got diagnosed when having a urine infection. The subsequent dip test showed, in the words of the nurse," a little bit of everything"

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had no symptoms. It was picked up as part of a routine company medical.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I too had no symptoms, had always been slim but had sneaked into overweight during the prior 2 yrs. In my case I wasn't far into the diabetic range on my HbA1C tests - only 53

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
For people that were recently diagnosed. What were your initial symptoms?

If there is any concern ask you gp for a blood test.. if you are lucky it will put your mind at ease

On the other hand if you do have it then the sooner you know the sooner you can try and get it under control

I myself had no real symptoms

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
For me it was tiredness and depression that led to blood tests and diagnosis. If in doubt get a blood test

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
excessive thirst
Blurred eye sight
extreme numbness in toes
constant pain in soles of feet
permanent pins and needles in right thumb
extreme pain to any form of touch in left ring finger and right elbow
tongue would split down the central line and bleed, especially in the morning
glans would erupt into painful blood bubbles
inexplicably rapid weight gain (I was trying to fix my weight by eating a 'healthy plant based diet', and nearly killed myself in the process)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In order of onset from 2010 until 2019 - foot oedema, kidney problems, producing next to no urine, heavy sweating at night, water retention, sleep problems, weight gain+++, tiredness/low energy, bruising, frequent cuts, frequent infections, gum problems, tooth infections, cuts not healing, repeated soft tissue injury, burning and tingling feet, oedema in lower legs, redness, blistering, fluid leaking through skin. This all was pre-diagnosis. I was eating the "healthy" high carb diet recommended by the NHS and exercising regularly (apart from injuries). I went to the GP with almost all of these symptoms (with T2 in mind) and was firmly told I didn't have diabetes, because my BG wasn't at a high enough level.

Since diagnosis, and since going low-carb, most of these symptoms have gone completely but I still have a touch of the tingly neuropathy in my feet, probably always will have. A couple of new symptoms appeared - after my BG had returned to normal levels - and left just as quickly - sticky mouth and itchiness. I guess that it's changes to the body system that result in the symptoms in some cases, even if the changes are in the right direction.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
excessive thirst
Blurred eye sight
extreme numbness in toes
constant pain in soles of feet
permanent pins and needles in right thumb
extreme pain to any form of touch in left ring finger and right elbow
tongue would split down the central line and bleed, especially in the morning
glans would erupt into painful blood bubbles
inexplicably rapid weight gain (I was trying to fix my weight by eating a 'healthy plant based diet', and nearly killed myself in the process)
Wow Geordie! That was really severe! Have your symptoms improved at all?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow Geordie! That was really severe! Have your symptoms improved at all?
Yes, they improved massively once I got my bloods under control- the things related to dry mouth, bleeding etc cleared up in a matter of weeks, and the nerve issues cleared up over the course of about a year. That said, I probably had diabetes for years before these symptoms appeared. If you have concerns, and testing is available to you, I think getting tested would be the smart move. If it turns out you are at risk of diabetes, you can stave off the problem before it really starts. Good luck!

OmegaPrize

Thanks Kenny, I am already on a low carb diet and even fast a day or two each week. Good to know that is the right thing to be doing regardless.

In order of onset from 2010 until 2019 - foot oedema, kidney problems, producing next to no urine, heavy sweating at night, water retention, sleep problems, weight gain+++, tiredness/low energy, bruising, frequent cuts, frequent infections, gum problems, tooth infections, cuts not healing, repeated soft tissue injury, burning and tingling feet, oedema in lower legs, redness, blistering, fluid leaking through skin. This all was pre-diagnosis. I was eating the "healthy" high carb diet recommended by the NHS and exercising regularly (apart from injuries). I went to the GP with almost all of these symptoms (with T2 in mind) and was firmly told I didn't have diabetes, because my BG wasn't at a high enough level.

Since diagnosis, and since going low-carb, most of these symptoms have gone completely but I still have a touch of the tingly neuropathy in my feet, probably always will have. A couple of new symptoms appeared - after my BG had returned to normal levels - and left just as quickly - sticky mouth and itchiness. I guess that it's changes to the body system that result in the symptoms in some cases, even if the changes are in the right direction.