What "quit smoking" strategies are diabetic smokers in the forum finding effective?

Is "Cold Turkey" harder for Diabetic cigarette smokers?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

billdrake

In the US 25% of the 32 Million people with diagnosed type 2 are cigarette smokers - roughly 7 million people. I am not yet aware of the numbers worldwide. That group of people is at much higher risk for complications, and research says they have a more difficult time quitting. Would anyone in this Forum care to share their own experiences around quitting cigarette smoking?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I wasn’t diagnosed when I quit. I eased off to a half pack a day, then quit. I tried the gum for a couple days, but it just seems to prolong the agony.

Definitely a grind, had to really dig in and hold the line. Quitting carbs, losing weight is a cakewalk compared to quitting smoking. Except that dieting may have longer term fatigue as the timeframes are longer. So with dieting, it’s ok to take a break at maintenance.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I smoked for years and suffered the consequences of diabetes and smoking , I quit 3 times tried patches , will power and e cigarettes and the latter was definitely the best for me , I don’t think having diabetes makes it harder but having diabetes and knowing the advance risk involved with smoking and diabetes should certainly focus the mind a bit better , having lost my leg through poor circulation due to diabetes and smoking certainly does focus the mind and for me too late , but when your young you think your invincible it’s only hindsight and experience tells us we aren’t

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wasn't diabetic when I quit, but I used to like cigarettes as a teenager- not a heavy smoker, but half a pack to a pack of marlboro reds or menthols a day, then in my 20's I started to switch to cigars and cigarillos, then eventually a briar pipe. This meant I weaned myself off cigarettes without really knowing it, and the cigars and pipe are *much* less addictive. I actually have a box of good cigars at home and haven't smoked one for over 9 years, simply because they're bad for me and I don't feel any desire to.

Reactions: JustLucky

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped smoking a fair number of years ago, I did not use any form of nicotine gum, patches, etc. to help me through the withdrawal period.

Once you've broken the nicotine habit never get tempted again, by saying to your self one cigarette will not hurt me, because you will start smoking more till you are hooked again.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I would like to part with the secret of my success after some 40 years plus of enjoying rollups every 20 minutes where possible. Yes, I was addicted and knew it.

Some 20 years ago now and after the deaths of my wife and children I had the earnest desire to quit smoking. Please remember the words earnest desire. I remember standing in the kitchen thinking of my daughter's birthdate which was to be the following day. She had died at the age of eleven and her name was Karen. I decided at that moment I would make a pledge to HER that I would give up smoking in her name because I had no excuse not to - especially as she could not have prevented her own genetic death. I 'said ' to her, " My dearest daughter - I am giving up smoking tomorrow in your name. And, that if I fail, I will feel
that I will have let you down so very badly but, if I ever feel a weakening, I will draw upon the love that you gave me as my child and know that I WILL win this battle."

Obviously I succeded or I would not be talking to you here today.

The advice that I always give to anyone wanting to give up smoking - is that there are two requisites if wanting to achieve their goal and they are 1) they must possess the EARNEST DESIRE and, 2) that they should pick a mentor to accompany them especially someone they love and respect or, as in my case, to use the soul of a deceased loved one.

Yes, you can do it.

Reactions: Oldvatr and Mike d

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
My wife and i gave up together (this helped doing it together) about 15 years ago using champix.
Its not cheap to the NHS so may well only be given once.
You haver to Want to give up ....the drug doesn't work on its own....

Good luck

Tony

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found two strokes and a heart attack pretty effective. That and Allen Carr's book on quitting smoking backed up with patches and the phrase "it's a mug's game". Went from 40+ a day to zero in no time at all and I have not looked back since. Book is still available, I believe, even though Allen has passed on.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lisa69free

I had switched to vaping before being diagnosed. I went over a month cold turkey but that angst feeling just wouldn't go. I'm now happy and vaping again but I'll never puff a cigarette again. Even the smell knocks me sick now

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found two strokes and a heart attack pretty effective. That and Allen Carr's book on quitting smoking backed up with patches and the phrase "it's a mug's game". Went from 40+ a day to zero in no time at all and I have not looked back since. Book is still available, I believe, even though Allen has passed on.

I'll second the Allen Carr book.

As a 40 a day smoker, I stopped overnight, having read it. From the first day of stopping, I felt like I'd never smoked a cigarette and haven't felt a craving since...

I don't know how the phsycology of it worked, it just did.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wife smoked and vaped after I quit, and I used to roll ciggies and also light them for her since she became disabled. I was ok being in the room with smokers and had no inclination to ever start again. Even when stressed or bored I have not reached for another fag on my behalf, and I have never vaped. I do not even feel the need to ask anyone to refrain, or ban them from smoking in my house - that is their decision, and I am not bothered anymore. I am really free of the dreaded weed!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I didnt stop smoking, smoking stopped me. That was when I landed in hospital 32 years ago with a heart attack. Havent puffed a fag since.

• Winner
Reactions: Oldvatr

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not even feel the need to ask anyone to refrain, or ban them from smoking in my house
No smoking at my place, whether family or friends, or anyone else that visits.

It's nice to come home to a clean smelling place, and also wearing clothes that are smoke free. This took a while after i gave up smoking but my partner commented on it she said everything did not smell like a ashtray.

When I smoked I had to go out side and smoke because of the wired into the mains power smoke alarm going off.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a habit of smoking cigarettes and weed since my teenage years (before I was diagnosed with diabetes at 28), and recently I've had a drug testing at my work. I was preparing for the test for a week or two, reading some articles like on this site iirc and so I didn't smoke anything for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I've failed a test and was fired. After that I was quite angry and disappointed, so I decided to stop smoking completely and come clean. 2 years passed then and I've never touched a cigarette or a blunt since, found a better job and living happily.