Assessment for diagnoses

Lisa69free

Does everyone have the same test? My blood was taken when I was in ICU and the results state that my antibody blood tests, the zinc transporter result was 6.3, islet cell antibody was positive and the GAD antibodies were 1219 and a reduced C-Peptide at 113. From that my diagnosis of being T1 was drawn.

Curious to how everyone else was diagnosed, their figures and maybe shed light on the details as I'm finding it all very interesting.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Just an underweight, thirsty dying on his feet 8 year old, for me.
Admitted to a kiddie ward & the rest is history...

Lisa69free

Can't imagine how challenging it would be for children and their families to cope, let alone take it all in

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me it was a high HbA1C and the very scientific, “you’re too slim to have type 2” diagnosis.
It was about 15 years ago and thankfully correct and form a doctor who didn’t think I was too old to have Type 1.

Lisa69free

I'm 52 and at the start before results came back they didn't know which type I was but treated as T1 and when they learned that I had recently lost quite a lot of weight, sleeping a lot, no appetite and dry mouth they said high chance T1.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was diagnosed I don't think there was much in the way of tests, but apparently (according to my mum) the doctor could smell it, I was only 2 at the time (so have absolutely no memory of it myself) so T1 was really the only logical choice once they had determined it was diabetes (I don't know what tests they did in the late 70's for it, especially on children)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 52 and at the start before results came back they didn't know which type I was but treated as T1 and when they learned that I had recently lost quite a lot of weight, sleeping a lot, no appetite and dry mouth they said high chance T1.
All of those are symptoms of T2 also.
Assumptions based on age, weight, loss of weight etc. are a guide but in my opinion you need the proper blood tests else risk treating wrongly, in both T1 and T2 directions.

Lisa69free

All of those are symptoms of T2 also.
Assumptions based on age, weight, loss of weight etc. are a guide but in my opinion you need the proper blood tests else risk treating wrongly, in both T1 and T2 directions.
Them alone could be T2 yes but my initial post shows results of my blood test

Lisa69free

When I was diagnosed I don't think there was much in the way of tests, but apparently (according to my mum) the doctor could smell it, I was only 2 at the time (so have absolutely no memory of it myself) so T1 was really the only logical choice once they had determined it was diabetes (I don't know what tests they did in the late 70's for it, especially on children)
So sorry, again it must have been so hard for parents you being so young

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Them alone could be T2 yes but my initial post shows results of my blood test
Fair point, well made :)
Wasn’t totally paying attention to the forum this was posted in, but symptom wise, sometimes people are assigned a type without the tests you describe. So, symptoms are, in my opinion, a guide but not the whole answer which is how it has been in the past (and still sometimes seems to be)

Lisa69free

Fair point, well made :)
Wasn’t totally paying attention to the forum this was posted in, but symptom wise, sometimes people are assigned a type without the tests you describe. So, symptoms are, in my opinion, a guide but not the whole answer which is how it has been in the past (and still sometimes seems to be)
What's your story Andy?

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Lisa,

I was diagnosed in April 2020 in hospital. They put me on insulin as a precaution for Type 1 diabetes, whilst we awaited blood results. Young doctor at the time I remember saying, that I was more than likely Type 1. Blood sugars were between 26 and 33. HBA1C was 13.6% or something.

3 Weeks on, I had the following Results which confirmed it for me.
GAD : 212
IA-2 : 28

After 3 and half months on insulin, I ended up coming off insulin and I have been off it all for 1 year in 2 weeks time. I do the occasional 2 units of Levemir before bed and Novorapids if I eat a really heavy takeaway, but overall very much insulin free.

Completed another round of blood results back end of last year, in which my IA-2 had dissapeared and my GAD down to around 126.

Spoken to my Diabetic Doctor last week and we feel no need for a C Peptide test as we are assuming I am still producing. We may do another round of blood results for antibodies end of the year if I still remain off insulin.

My case has scratched many heads let's say... Weird, but proud of my Pancreas's last stand!

Rhys

Lisa69free

Wow, that is amazing. So something stopped your body producing insulin then it started again. Yep your pancreas has been a super organ. Did it make you live a little different having another chance?

Hello Lisa,

I was diagnosed in April 2020 in hospital. They put me on insulin as a precaution for Type 1 diabetes, whilst we awaited blood results. Young doctor at the time I remember saying, that I was more than likely Type 1. Blood sugars were between 26 and 33. HBA1C was 13.6% or something.

3 Weeks on, I had the following Results which confirmed it for me.
GAD : 212
IA-2 : 28

After 3 and half months on insulin, I ended up coming off insulin and I have been off it all for 1 year in 2 weeks time. I do the occasional 2 units of Levemir before bed and Novorapids if I eat a really heavy takeaway, but overall very much insulin free.

Completed another round of blood results back end of last year, in which my IA-2 had dissapeared and my GAD down to around 126.

Spoken to my Diabetic Doctor last week and we feel no need for a C Peptide test as we are assuming I am still producing. We may do another round of blood results for antibodies end of the year if I still remain off insulin.

My case has scratched many heads let's say... Weird, but proud of my Pancreas's last stand!

Rhys

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, that is amazing. So something stopped your body producing insulin then it started again. Yep your pancreas has been a super organ. Did it make you live a little different having another chance?

The 3 month period of Insulin, had given my remaining BETA Cells some much needed rest and regeneration. They then decided to start working and contribute to 1 or 2 hypos everyday whilst on levemir which resulted in severe Anxiety lasting several months sadly.

I don't think I was ever bothered whether I was on Insulin or not. I just feel people are not mentally or emotionally prepared for what Diabetes can do to you if you hit a strong honeymoon. Yes, 90% of my honeymoon has been great but the other 10% was a living nightmare as hypos will literally come from nowhere.

Lisa69free

The 3 month period of Insulin, had given my remaining BETA Cells some much needed rest and regeneration. They then decided to start working and contribute to 1 or 2 hypos everyday whilst on levemir which resulted in severe Anxiety lasting several months sadly.

I don't think I was ever bothered whether I was on Insulin or not. I just feel people are not mentally or emotionally prepared for what Diabetes can do to you if you hit a strong honeymoon. Yes, 90% of my honeymoon has been great but the other 10% was a living nightmare as hypos will literally come from nowhere.
Yes I totally agree about the honeymoon period. Only been diagnosed little over a month and had a week of highs, normal for a few days then a couple of weeks of hypos. Fighting my own body at I don't want to gain weight but having to eat sweets when I don't usually was soul destroying but it is was it is. I feel blessed I was found in time otherwise I might not have survived. All we can do is try our best to manage it without it controlling us