What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
Back to Wednesday then. Supper was at a pub with friends and was a fab treat of freshly dressed crab and a tasty salad. You all know by now I ALWAYS start the day with a slice of LC toast and lots of tea.
Thursday and Friday lunch was the same. Rollitos, spoon cheesey coleslaw chopped cucumber and a couple of cherry toms. Enjoyed so much the first day decided to repeat.
Supper Thurs was chunky fishfingers x3 and tenderstem broccoli.
Supper Friday yesterday was Indian t/a of Tandoori King Prawns x4 and cauli bhajee. Resisted the popadoms this time.
Today planning Greek salad for lunch and to ato & basil 3 egg omelette in the evening.
Mr PM out for the day at golf so will potter in the garden and take it easy.
@DJC3 gosh sorry about the alarm over Dennis and the chocolate buttons. I am so glad you were able to get him to the vets and for such a happy result. Must have been so anxious, its like having a toddler in the house. @Riva_Roxaban I really admire your stoicism and am so glad you get along so well with your medics which is so important. You certainly eat very nice and nutricious meals which will be helping your body.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reminder to self: Do NOT buy watermelon for the guinea pigs.

Very nice meal of runner beans (I think I'm starting to get my beans straight in English :D) with a mashed egg with butter and salt, and a burger fried with half a rather sorry looking onion found on the countertop. Its better half must have been used days ago, but this half tasted still fine after frying. :)

Lunch/breakfast or whatever you call a first meal eaten at 3 PM was a slice of low carb bread with a very nice and spicy chorizo, followed by a piece of watermelon. I was on the low side before eating so I thought I'd get away with the watermelon, generously dosing for it.
Shot up to 8 first, successfully fought the urge to take a correction, knowing fruit acts faster than insulin. Started to drop again before the insulin was out of my system so I took a smaller dose than usually for my beer at 5PM.
Kept a close eye on it for the next 3 hours, expecting another drop, which never came.
Decided it was safe to spend 20 minutes cooking my evening meal, as sure the anticipated drop would have happened by now.
Not. Big fat hypo just as I was finishing my plate. Took the risk of navigating the stairs to treat with more watermelon because it tastes soooo much better than sweets, and then the watermelon tasted so good I ate way too much of it.

So now I'm back at the starting point of this messed up cycle and fighting the urge to correct too early for the rise :banghead:

At least I had a good reminder of why I prefer to eat low carb, and I got to eat lots of delicious watermelon too! :joyful::hungry:
But the rest of the melon is going to the guinea pigs, the goats and the chickens tomorrow, this was enough diabetes for at least 3 days :cool:.

218355272_10223914851733514_3133735726397581099_n.jpg

Reactions: maglil55

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Playmates, I have a query, if you will.

Eons ago, there was a bit of a fad on here with Lidl Protein Noodles. At the time I bought some and froze them. Fast forward, probably too long a time, I dug them from the freezer and added to a stir fry. Excellent!

Needless to say, having enjoyed them, I fancies more, but our Lidl doesn't seem to have them anymore, or at least for now.

Does your Lidl stock these, or are they gone, gone, gone.

Typical of me. Timing is everything.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, first things first: Dennis is home again! What a long day of waiting, but thanks all for your lovely good wishes for him. I’ve decided the only thing to do is to eat all the chocolate in the house ASAP so there is none for him to accidentally get hold of.
Hope your cat is recovering well too @MrsA2
Back on topic first meal around 1pm was leftover crack chicken ( was actually better cold than the original) in SLC open sandwiches. Choc chia pud to follow.
Dinner was h/m tandoori style chicken with salad and then a DGF cake and cream. Now I’m having a glass of red and Dennis is asleep on my lap. Happy days.
@Antje77 Hugs for the watermelon palaver. Lucky guinea pigs and goats.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, tomatoes and a cheese omelette, slice of (low carb bread) toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Ham and salad roll for lunch.
T bone steak and veggies, gravy for dinner.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cwc
Chicken, cherry toms, 4 cocktail meatballs and a little shop bought dressing
Afternoon of preparing for visitors tomorrow so probably too may licks of spoons, and 4 cheese crisps
Dinner, if that's what you can call it, was burger (no bun) and 2 white wines at a village event, but the second wine gave me the munchies so finished at 10pm with more cheese crisps and a spoonful vanilla ice cream.. which I didnt need and didn't really enjoy

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your good wishes for Dennis.
Regarding your tea preferences - do you have milk in either? I can drink Earl Grey black but not ordinary tea, I keep trying.
Things I didn’t eat before: the skin on chicken. I could never have imagined enjoying this, now I think it’s the best bit ( has to be crispy obviously)

Never been able to drink Earl Grey tea. To me it tastes like scented soap. Cardamom tea, on the other hand, is delightful. Black, of course.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never been able to drink Earl Grey tea. To me it tastes like scented soap. Cardamom tea, on the other hand, is delightful. Black, of course.
We drink traditional black Billy Tea most of the times.

71s7bOG8OoL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that was what EG tea used to taste like to me, too. I'm sure it's my tastebuds that have changed rather than the tea, so perhaps it's more to do with the ageing process rather than the change in eating habits? I'll post if I suddenly start to develop a hankering for Werther's Originals.
Never tried cardamom tea, but am more than willing to give it a go. Where can you buy it?

Reactions: DJC3

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday had usual breakfast at noon - small bowl of yoghurt, berries, seeds, nuts, then helped no.1 son move the last of his stuff from student accommodation to his new flat in Liverpool. No.2 son came along for the ride as he had nothing better to do. Afterwards, the weather being delightfully clement, we repaired to a nearby café/bar for a drink and sat outside in the sun, feeling Parisian. No.1 son then decided to order burger and fries, as he hadn't eaten anything all day, and in a rare spirit of solidarity, no.2 son decided he would have the same. So I sat sipping my lime & soda as they both despatched a mountain of food that they assured me was wonderful. To be fair, they did give me a chip each and they tasted great.
Got back around 7.30pm in a ravenous frame of mind. Had mozzarella and tomatoes with olive oil and fresh basil, last piece of prosciutto and small piece of Mrs C's sourdough (pre-frozen and toasted).
Felt a bit like Jesus must have done during his 40 days in the desert after resisting Satan's temptations.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn’t post yesterday as Covid gave me a very (short lived) spell of serious vertigo, checked out by a Dr and was reassured that it wasn’t of concern. It’s virtually gone today thank goodness. Hence I didn’t eat much but saw my blood sugar up at 6.3, haven’t had a 6 for years! :wideyed:
Anyway today my appetite is back so:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and white chocolate Carb Killa choc ice.
Dinner: Brie, coleslaw and leafy salad followed by SF raspberry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yummy summery meal!

I knew something was up with corn, I just couldn't remember what. It either needs more insulin than I think or less...
An hour down the road and it's all clear now: Corn = take more insulin than you think you need, Antje. Tasted wonderful all the same, and I'll get another chance with the second cob in the package :).

219073185_10223920129065444_2671824237355873459_n.jpg

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that was what EG tea used to taste like to me, too. I'm sure it's my tastebuds that have changed rather than the tea, so perhaps it's more to do with the ageing process rather than the change in eating habits? I'll post if I suddenly start to develop a hankering for Werther's Originals.
Never tried cardamom tea, but am more than willing to give it a go. Where can you buy it?

I buy it from Amazon. It's not cheap, but for a once in a while cuppa, it's good. If you do buy it, just check that it isn't one that contains sweetener or sugar - some of them do. This is the one I buy.

71I5oebQHNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon and egg - last of the back bacon that Neil bought for me.
2nd meal: Pork loin steak with tomato sauce.
Snack: bits of honeydew melon. Probably too much but it was great. BG a bit high just now (13.5) but I'm hoping it will go down before bedtime.

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy it from Amazon. It's not cheap, but for a once in a while cuppa, it's good. If you do buy it, just check that it isn't one that contains sweetener or sugar - some of them do. This is the one I buy.

71I5oebQHNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Thank you so much, annb. I see what you mean about the price, but it's my birthday next month, so I might drop a hint to Mrs C...

Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meal 1 was a 90 second roll with avocado and ham, some cheese crisps and a spoonful ff greek with a ginormous strawberry

Meal 2 was lamb kofta with salad and roasted Mediterranean veg, tsatsiki and a small piece of spinach pastry made with filo pastry. Dessert of rhubarb and orange jelly, and raspberry and redcurrants yoghurt jelly. Very refreshing, especially when washed down with 2 glasses rosè

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was an easier day:
Protein yoghurt with strawberries for breakfast, salmon salad and a Grenade Killa bar for lunch
Roast chicken with all the healthy trimmings (carrots, peas, beans, cabbage, cauli cheese, broccoli cheese - no potatoes!) and a Grenade Killa ice-cream as a treat (did 10,000 steps playing Pokemon Go with step-son in the real heat of the day)