Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This academic year is all over bar the training days... and I get a day's diabetes training on which to finish the most ridiculous year of all time. Here's hoping I behave better than last time!!! (Arrived at work mildly hypo, the training started late, I treated the hypo then cheerfully informed my colleagues I'd failed them all as they hadn't noticed.... it went downhill from there, really. )

It is also to be noted I managed the student end-of-year carb-fest party food grazing insulin guesstimate with great aplomb. I arrived home on a 4.3 and went on to repeat my success with cheesy chips at the very sedate staff team trip to the pub the next day. We'd pre-booked our table, as required, and had a very lovely time in my terms, but those who prefer the pre-Covid version of the end-of-year pub trips were having moments of nostalgia and recounting some of the wilder tales for colleagues who'd never experienced them.

I have no intention of doing anything other than pleasing myself and some music work this summer. And reclaiming my computers as my own again. Hopefully, popping in here a bit more regularly as well!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin’ everyone. How are you? It seems such a long long time that we entered this ‘new normal’, which I know I’d rather not be living through. Maybe living with T1 has given us the edge as we already know how to make a potentially bad thing ok. We’re adaptations experts.
It’s already hot outside here in the SE. The ice is ready, iced coffee and water on the rocks. I think husband and I would end up in A&E if we tried to dig out a swimming pool, even a puddle sized one, and I’m seriously envious of you Marie with your snorkelling life.
Husband may dig a small hole today though. He’s cleared a space by a fence where and old guelder rose was. Very sad the guelder rose died but there’s a glorious old fashioned repeat flowering super scented rambler to replace it. It’s in the delivery pot at the mo and beginning to get used to my nose being stuck in its blossoms.
Have a good day everyone, don’t get sunburnt if you’re out and about.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all. Have awoken to thick mist which has helped us to try and get the house cooler. Hadn’t been able to shift the temperature below 28 indoors no matter what we did. Have just got it down to 23 hurrah!
Stay cool everyone and have a good day.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Well two days my new method worked at snorkeling, the third day I decided not to go as I spiked really high when I ate that morning and it wouldn't come down easily. So then I changed out my pod just in case but I also get DP or FOTF and wasn't sure what was causing the issue. So I decided it wasn't worth possibly really crashing swimming. But then this morning I spiked really high eating again and I managed to bring it down but not fully for a couple of hours so I was swimming about 4 hours after eating and my liver did it's thing again of dumping glucose and I ended up at 16 after swimming before I finally started to come down. Ugh, this fuel thing and eating in the am to swim is a real trick all in itself.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, well the two most hectic weeks I've had since Covid started have almost ended. My visiting friends have departed, I've eaten out more in these two weeks than I would in two months in normal times. My friend who stayed for 10 days also cooked several times - yay! the joy of eating at home and it's something I didn't cook! - and she's a good cook, plus outings all over the place. My village has gone a bit bonkers; just before friends came I went out for an outdoor meal in the evening at a neighbour's with a group of us which seems to have sparked a trend as I'm off to a party - outdoors - tomorrow night, and our village party in a field is set for August Bank Holiday weekend, plus someone else is having a Fizz in the Field evening; I don't know whether I'm coming or going! The good thing is that people here are cautious about Covid and most are double vaccinated by now, so it feels pretty safe.

Anyway I've caught up a bit, @Fairygodmother glad you had a good time in Suffolk; pleased to hear you've not been affected by the floods @Antje77 but very sad for those who have, and bet you're please school's out @Japes! @urbanracer has the thumb finally healed?

Off to do some work in my neglected garden, but only if I can find some shade. Have a good day all.

Reactions: Marie 2

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@urbanracer[/USER] has the thumb finally healed?
Thanks, - not 'finally' but getting there. Very light bandage and no need to keep the hand elevated now. I am going to the consultant today having not seen him for 2 weeks. Mrs Urb' changed the outer dressing last week so it will be interesting to see the progress.
upload_2021-7-20_9-12-33.png

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks, - not 'finally' but getting there. Very light bandage and no need to keep the hand elevated now. I am going to the consultant today having not seen him for 2 weeks. Mrs Urb' changed the outer dressing last week so it will be interesting to see the progress.
View attachment 50514

Can you paint a face on that and do a puppet show ? (sorry couldn't help myself...!!!) Glad to hear it's healing, a long slow process but getting there.

This heat wave has turned my t1 on it's head, now going hypo every night before bed, partner isn't chuffed as my alarm wakes him too..

Reactions: urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Can you paint a face on that and do a puppet show ? (sorry couldn't help myself...!!!) Glad to hear it's healing, a long slow process but getting there.

This heat wave has turned my t1 on it's head, now going hypo every night before bed, partner isn't chuffed as my alarm wakes him too..

Different doctor at the hospital today. She wanted to leave the bandages off, but Mrs Urb' wasn't entirely happy about it so I got bandaged up again. But in 2 weeks time they will be coming off and I can post a picture of the scars !

Reactions: Clivethedrive

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning everyone. Great news about your thumb @urbanracer, and the great social life revolution @hh1. I still envy you the snorkelling @Marie 2, despite the T1 blood sugar shenanigans. I remember those out on the dive boat, the bits of insulin and/or carb that punctuated the trip to the site.
Is this heat now going to be another ‘new normal’ in the summer? I’m thinking of asking a tree surgeon to take down a ***** willow that leans precariously over lovely next door neighbours’ garden and threatens their greenhouse. Maybe I can ask that I’d be reduced in a way to promote new growth and shade. And blood sugars, either going high because it’s too hot to do much, or low because because . . .
The new rose is now in and looking very happy. The new grass by the bed will be seeded close enough to sniff the blooms without getting yet another pair of shoes mucky. The Brexit store still has some food, the freezer too, and at last the beans and leaf beet in the veg garden, the cucumbers and orators in the greenhouse and the plums on the tree are showing signs of a future yield. What have we come to that deliveries and imports bring a see-the-worst old woman to this?

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, @urbanracer glad to hear you're well on the way, woo-hoo! something to look forward to - seeing the scars :hilarious:

I'm afraid part of my social revolution tanked yesterday, didn't make the party due to an infernal combination of hay fever, overheating, heat rash and diabetes playing yo-yo. Well, I'm not alone here in the latter, so sympathy to everyone else in that boat.

@Fairygodmother my small plum tree has its branches bending groundward with the amount of fruit, could be a bumper year if the wasps don't get there first.

Have a good day all and if you're anywhere like super hot Somerset, hope you manage to stay cool.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have a good day @hh1, stay cool, hope the heat rash goes soon. Wish, too, that plums weren’t so insulin needy, it’s so hard not to stand by a tree and just gorge on them when they’re ripe.
I’ve just seen that the name of the willow that needs pruning has been asterisked. I think you’ll know which willow it is. Little did all the primary school teachers who had a jar of them on the desk when they were in the soft cat-like state know they were leading their pupils towards a life of depravity.
It’s a trifle warm here today, tried to rustle up a thunderstorm yesterday but didn’t get beyond the growling.
There are tiny fish fry in the pond, a reason to be cheerful. Even if only one or two make it to adulthood it’ll a reason to be supercheerful.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just seen that the name of the willow that needs pruning has been asterisked. I think you’ll know which willow it is. Little did all the primary school teachers who had a jar of them on the desk when they were in the soft cat-like state know they were leading their pupils towards a life of depravity.
I have no clue on which willow it is, and now I want to know of course! I'm pretty fluent when it comes to diabetes in English, not so much when it comes to other subjects like trees.
Don't tell me though, or I'll have to edit the answer. The joys of being a moderator! :wacky:

Still, I'm somewhat stuck on the couch today, having had two teeth extracted yesterday. One of them took a lot of violent hacking and breaking to get out, so now I'm having a sore face instantly hurting more when I do something active.

Perfect day to spend some time solving the riddle of the English willow with the mildly offensive name with the help of Google. Thanks for giving me something to do on this boring day!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Perfect day to spend some time solving the riddle of the English willow with the mildly offensive name with the help of Google. Thanks for giving me something to do on this boring day!
Oh, never mind, riddle was too easy! :hilarious:
Counted the asterisks and connected the 'cat-like' in the second post. Googled the resulting word, which turned out to be a willow indeed. :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A moderator’s dream tree Antje77! I assume you’re ok with English slang.
There’s a patch of shade in the vege bit of the garden, the bit with the cat-like willow, where I took iced coffee after lunch. Bees on the marjoram, hover flies over the veg, long tailed **** in the wild cherry complete with youngsters making an occasional bit of a pigs ear of balancing on a branch and then a sparrow hawk. It flew low through the overgrown trellis archway into the veg bit and then on to perch briefly in a tree before flying off again. Every other bird had disappeared just before it arrived.
I realise my description makes the veg patch sound much grander than it is, it’s just a 1930s semi with a garden that’s a tiny bit longer than a newbuild’s. Come in now to add more insulin to the daily lunchtime extra. Anyone else have a time of day when there’s a predictable increase in insulin need?
Tooth extraction can be rough, it’s good dentists don’t have cctv so we can see what they’re doing. Hope you’ve got some good painkillers.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ooooo, look, I’ve got moderators’ asterisks on the bird name too. Which of nature’s plants or beasties can I name now to make it a hat trick? The Latin name for the moderated bird is Aegithalos caudatus. Yes, I had to google it. I can see 7 other birds that have the same naughty word in their common name. I could mention Lapsana communis, Galium aparine and Gomphocarpus phsyocarpus too. Googled these too.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tooth extraction can be rough, it’s good dentists don’t have cctv so we can see what they’re doing. Hope you’ve got some good painkillers.
Doing pretty good on a diet of paracetamol and ibuprofen, provided I stick to the couch :)
My previous dentist had a mirror attached to the light, so you could watch if you so chose, pretty sure I could do a root canal by now!

The bird is easy, even without googling I guess it's a 'breast-like' bird perching next to the cat-like tree :hilarious:. Do you have any male chickens in your little paradise as well? I love their cry in the mornings, but I guess it's not advisable to keep them when you have neighbours close by, just like with the horse-like creatures with the very loud sound!

The filter is useful, happy it's there or moderating would be a very tedious job. But it can act surprising :D. Did you know even one of the emojis gets asterisked? :***:
Apparently the software reads the names of the emojis :hilarious:.