What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ran out of bacon and forgot to take slices of pork out of the freezer so I had some sardines for breakfast. I had taken a correction dose of insulin at 7.30 but BG kept on rising so I took another dose - it was more than I would normally take before breakfast because I intended to have a cople of chunks of melon after the fish. BG still 12.9 an hour and a half later - that's higher than it was before eating but only .8 higher.

I do have some ham in the fridge (forgot about that), so later will have some of that in an omelette for my 2nd meal, and maybe BG will come down a bit. Not hopeful of that.

Sandy-55

This was yesterday’s it’s probably not right I’m still in the learning process
Breakfast 2 slices of buttered toast with small amount of marmalade (low carb bread)

lunch mushroom omelette fried in coconut oil with 2 chicken sausages 2 rashers of bacon

Dinner. Melon mixed , kiwi strawberries I know it’s not a proper meal but I was working lates, and as I’m a home carer so don’t have time between getting to the next client these are the things I can eat as I drive or sit waiting in traffic
And coconut vegan coffee which lasts me it last me about 6hrs don’t mind drinking it cold

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ran out of bacon and forgot to take slices of pork out of the freezer so I had some sardines for breakfast. I had taken a correction dose of insulin at 7.30 but BG kept on rising so I took another dose - it was more than I would normally take before breakfast because I intended to have a cople of chunks of melon after the fish. BG still 12.9 an hour and a half later - that's higher than it was before eating but only .8 higher.

I do have some ham in the fridge (forgot about that), so later will have some of that in an omelette for my 2nd meal, and maybe BG will come down a bit. Not hopeful of that.

Well - I got that wrong. BG has suddenly started to drop - after the omelette and the associated insulin - a bit more than normal because it was so high before eating. Just had to have a boiled sweet to stop the drop! Should be OK now. The ham omelette laid quite heavily on my stomach for some reason. It shouldn't have done. Just my funny tummy, I suppose. It would be the ham, not the omelette, I should think.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All a lot of talk of melon and rose wine, both of which are brilliant for hot weather. I am with the group not liking Earl Grey but I do like Lady Grey a lot. Must put it on the shopping list.
Yesterday usual brekkie. Lunch was bit of broccoli & tomato quiche crust cut off, spoon cheesey coleslaw and chopped cucumber. Evening had bbq 2 sausages (the Waitrose 1 range, v expensive but 1.1g carbs each and v nice), a burger and a thin slice of chicken marinated (not sure what but from Waitrose range). Mixed green salad on the side and a splash of Nandos Herb & Lime sauce, v low carb also
Today had same brekkie and lunch. This evening will be Tomato & Basil omelette, another current fave.
@Annb you do get it hard with your tummy issues, it must need the patience of a saint. @Antje77 the Water,elon and Corn events were equally dramatic and scary. Lucky g/piggies, goats and chickens cooling off with watermelon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seem to have eaten a lot today. I often find that if I have breakfast it just triggers a non stop eating day. Maybe I’m just hungrier some days.
B: eggs and tumeric&gjnger sauerkraut
L: salad with butcher’s home roast topside. Choc chia pud.
D: h/m bacon cheeseburger in lettuce wrap, more salad. DGF cake.
@zzcanasta I love Werthers originals! I’ve tried the sugar free ones but they have an unfortunate effect on my tum.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was an almond and rhubarb delight... in other words the centre of an undercooked lc cake zapped until cooked in the microwave. Served with a but of cream.
Lunch 2 mint kofta with tsatiki and coleslaw
D: 3 mint kofta on a bed of roasted Mediterranean veg, green beans with tzatsiki. 1 mini milk ice lolly, 2 strawberries 2 sqs 85%

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My taste is still dodgy but ate all my usual types of food today.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few dark chocolate brazils.
Dinner: gammon steak with a leafy salad and coleslaw followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 the Water,elon and Corn events were equally dramatic and scary. Lucky g/piggies, goats and chickens cooling off with watermelon.
A bit dramatic, but much more annoying than scary!
I seem to need to do stuff like this periodically to remind me why my usual way of eating is just easier over all :)
And yes, happy pets all around!
I've never thought to combine eggs and sauerkraut, sounds pretty good actually!
How did you prepare it? Hot, cold, boiled, fried, as separate dishes or together?
Breakfast was an almond and rhubarb delight... in other words the centre of an undercooked lc cake zapped until cooked in the microwave. Served with a but of cream.
Sounds like a delight indeed!

I made a lazy variation on the tuna melt muffin things batter to fill a couple of bell peppers. Didn't feel like grating cheese so i used 'smeerkaas' instead. I have no idea if you have smeerkaas in the UK, it's a cheese spread tasting like strong Gouda.
Other ingredients were lots of onion, garlic, red chilli pepper, egg, cream cheese, some leftover soft goat cheese, spoon of mayonnaise, can of tuna, two salty anchovies fillets and an egg. Jalapenos on top. Still have half the batter left to use later this week. :)

Thought to dry the baking tray for a few seconds in the oven after washing it.
"Bluswater" means water to extinguish a fire, the vessel is a very old 'fire extinguisher'. Got in the background of my pic by coincidence, rather fitting :hilarious:.

Still worth the sore fingers, lovely meal!
Will stick to my right hand for finger pricks the next couple of days though! :D

219678327_10223925993892061_4851654299743756419_n.jpg

217247255_10223926271378998_6481983761436539217_n.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and sausages, eggs, tomato for breakfast.
Leftover roast pork and salad low carb wraps, couple of pieces of you know who's liquorice.
Savoury mince and veggies for dinner, tub of kobani fit 15% greek yoghurt after the washing up was done.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Two egg omelette (shopping delivery was due to come mid-morning so pretty much making do with what I had)
Lunch: Ham and cheese salad, cheese coleslaw, cucumber, assorted pickles - dessert was a Muller light I had left in the fridge (cookie dough flavour - it was not very nice) and some strawberries with greek yoghurt
Dinner: We went out for dinner (night without my step-kids) and I had a starter of chicken wings, followed up by a 10oz rump steak with side salad rather than chips. Dessert was a Grenade Killa bar (dark chocolate raspberry - delicious!)

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit dramatic, but much more annoying than scary!
I seem to need to do stuff like this periodically to remind me why my usual way of eating is just easier over all :)
And yes, happy pets all around!

I've never thought to combine eggs and sauerkraut, sounds pretty good actually!
How did you prepare it? Hot, cold, boiled, fried, as separate dishes or together?

I made a lazy variation on the tuna melt muffin things batter to fill a couple of bell peppers. Didn't feel like grating cheese so i used 'smeerkaas' instead. I have no idea if you have smeerkaas in the UK, it's a cheese spread tasting like strong Gouda.
Other ingredients were lots of onion, garlic, red chilli pepper, egg, cream cheese, some leftover soft goat cheese, spoon of mayonnaise, can of tuna, two salty anchovies fillets and an egg. Jalapenos on top. Still have half the batter left to use later this week. :)

Thought to dry the baking tray for a few seconds in the oven after washing it.
"Bluswater" means water to extinguish a fire, the vessel is a very old 'fire extinguisher'. Got in the background of my pic by coincidence, rather fitting :hilarious:.

Still worth the sore fingers, lovely meal!
Will stick to my right hand for finger pricks the next couple of days though! :D

219678327_10223925993892061_4851654299743756419_n.jpg

217247255_10223926271378998_6481983761436539217_n.jpg

Ouch! But the stuffed peppers do look good.

Re eggs& sauerkraut - I scrambled the eggs today and just had them next to eachother. I also eat it with hard boiled eggs, and omelettes too. I’m a bit addicted to this turmeric and ginger variety, I could eat it with anything.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch! But the stuffed peppers do look good.

Re eggs& sauerkraut - I scrambled the eggs today and just had them next to eachother. I also eat it with hard boiled eggs, and omelettes too. I’m a bit addicted to this turmeric and ginger variety, I could eat it with anything.
Sorry to keep nagging you, but do you eat the sauerkraut cold, just as it comes in the package? Does it come pre-flavoured or how do you make it?
The sauerkraut I can buy here is rather harsh eaten directly from the package, although a little amount as a side to scrambled eggs would go well.

And thanks, the stuffed peppers were very good!

Reactions: DJC3

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Smeerkaas:

I can't remember what it is called in the UK, when I lived In London many years ago, but here in North America it is called "Cheese Whiz". In South Africa, where I lived before, it is called "Cheese spread". Interesting in Afrikaans it is called "Kaassmeer" as opposed to "Smeerkaas" in Dutch!

Reactions: DJC3

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seem to have eaten a lot today. I often find that if I have breakfast it just triggers a non stop eating day. Maybe I’m just hungrier some days.
L: salad with butcher’s home roast topside. Choc chia pud.
D: h/m bacon cheeseburger in lettuce wrap, more salad. DGF cake.
@zzcanasta I love Werthers originals! I’ve tried the sugar free ones but they have an unfortunate effect on my tum.
I've tried them in the past, and they had a similar effect on me. They are seriously weird, and I've given them a wide berth ever since. The company that makes them (Storck) are also responsible for Toffifee, whose TV adverts are serious candidates for the worst adverts ever made.

elleyouer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 3.9 at 6am
B. Coffee, sardines on ryvita, a satsuma.
Went for a half hour brisk walk
L. Chicken shish kebab and salad from our local chippy, very tasty. Followed by strawberries and extra thick cream.
Never spiked me even though I had burger sauce on it.
D. Tesco tandoori chicken and a few more strawberries.
Haven’t gone above 7 all day.
Going to bed on a 4.7 ZZzzzzzz

Last edited:

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Zero, as had to drive No.2 son to take his driving theory test (he failed, but is being stoical about it).
L: FF Greek yoghurt, raspberries, nuts, seeds, etc
D: On account of the weather (hot), dragged the barbecue out of the shed as treat for Mrs C and No.2 son. Had 1.5 lamb koftas with aioli (picked some mint leaves from the garden and stirred them in), followed by 2/3 of a sirloin steak with fried onions, accompanied by an assortment of salads. For dessert, Mrs C gave me a bite of her chocolate and mint ice cream. Small coffee to round off, while the remainder of the clan drank cold beer and chilled Sicilian white wine. Five hours later I'm still stuffed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to keep nagging you, but do you eat the sauerkraut cold, just as it comes in the package? Does it come pre-flavoured or how do you make it?
The sauerkraut I can buy here is rather harsh eaten directly from the package, although a little amount as a side to scrambled eggs would go well.

And thanks, the stuffed peppers were very good!

I use this https://goodnudefood.co.uk/products...UOUaHaPdn967TR9fxhFPOrUvp0wKebvwaAmo2EALw_wcB it’s maybe more akin to kimchi but it’s just fermented veg with spices. Yes I eat it as it comes out of the jar. I think the sharp crunchy tanginess goes really well with the soft bland creaminess of eggs.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Early start today - Neil had an appointment for a blood test at 9 am so, if I wanted to go and check out the new fish shop, I had to get moving. Decided to have a banana milk shake for breakfast. BG was already a bit high, so took the normal insulin that I would take with a full meal and that kept it under control for most of the morning, although it did rise to 10.1 by the time we got home.

The fish shop had mussels! And it had tuna steaks. So lunch was mussels. The ones I ate were brilliant but out of 21 mussels in the bag I bought, 15 were not good - wouldn't close when tapped and another one didn't open when cooked. I had 3 and kept the rest for Em, who told me she wanted to try them. Her Mum has a thing about fish of any kind, so it is never an option at home. So now I have some finely chopped vegetables which provided the broth to go with the fish, left over. Not particularly fishy even though I put a little fish sauce in it.

Neil bought me some skinless chicken thighs in the supermarket, so I might re-use the broth as a stock for braising the chicken for a proper meal later.

Trouble is, of course, that I am hungry now - 3 mussels is not exactly a meal, especially after a milk shake breakfast.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Smeerkaas:

I can't remember what it is called in the UK, when I lived In London many years ago, but here in North America it is called "Cheese Whiz". In South Africa, where I lived before, it is called "Cheese spread". Interesting in Afrikaans it is called "Kaassmeer" as opposed to "Smeerkaas" in Dutch!

We get various brands of cheese spread in Britain. Handy in tubs, but too easy to over-indulge.

Reactions: Antje77