Skip metformin dose if you haven't had carbs?

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, as I'm now taking 2 metformin tablets twice a day, can I ask the forum if there is any point in having the second daily dose at tea time if that meal will be zero carbs? Thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
can I ask the forum if there is any point in having the second daily dose at tea time if that meal will be zero carbs?
Yes, take the metformin regardless of the kind of food you have!
Metformin isn't a medication which acts right away, you need to build up a base level.
The reason you take it around meal times is so it doesn't upset your stomach as much, nothing to do with the carbs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to take it that is.. if you eat lots of zero carb meals (or exclusively) then it's likely to become pretty non essential anyway.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Are you testing your FBG levels? If so what range are they in?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Are you testing your FBG levels? If so what range are they in?
FBG levels are of hardly any use. Dawn Phenomenon (if strong in a person) will cause the FBG to go up even without any food whatsoever. In my case a zero carb meal will reduce my BG from the FBG level.

I have nothing against metformin either for those who need medication or for those who like its supposed non-diabetes benefits.
However I didn't require any diabetes medication in order to reverse my T2 - just a Low Carb way of eating (i.e. no calorie restriction).

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a blood glucose monitor, but last used it six months ago. I don't like doing it, but will try to get a FBG reading tomorrow. The only symptom I have is getting tired and even falling asleep during the day (although getting to sleep at night is a different problem entirely).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got a blood glucose monitor, but last used it six months ago. I don't like doing it, but will try to get a FBG reading tomorrow. The only symptom I have is getting tired and even falling asleep during the day (although getting to sleep at night is a different problem entirely).
Have a look at the date on your teststrips!
I wouldn't only get a fasting but also test when you get sleepy during the day.
Sleepyness after food can be a symptom of high BG.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I took metformin, it said on the box take one with food no mention of low carb or whatever

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the date on your teststrips!
I wouldn't only get a fasting but also test when you get sleepy during the day.
Sleepyness after food can be a symptom of high BG.
Thank you Antje, I didn't know that. I'll test both before breakfast and when sleepy.

Reactions: Antje77

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
When I took metformin, it said on the box take one with food no mention of low carb or whatever

It won’t.. they want you to take it whatever. And it’s only recent years that doctors etc have ‘started’ accepting low carb works

There is a coating / binding agent that upsets the stomach for some which is why it’s taken with food.. but as stated above it’s a long term medication that builds up in the system

Some people struggling with stomach issues goto the modified release version as this has a different coating binding agent.

If you skip a meal you could delay metformin until later in the day with you next meal…. Or you could take anyway as it may not affect you. Or you could skip it as 1 missed dies should make much difference in long run.. or just have it with a small snack

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this sounds ridiculously high, but I have just done an FGB reading, and it came out as 13.0 mmol/l.
I often work during the night, and so I haven't been to sleep yet but I haven't had anything to eat for more than 8 hours. I'm going to read it again after I've had some sleep. I just don't know why it came out that high.
I now realise I'm going to have to keep an eye on this in a more systematic way.

Last edited:

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat low carb, but still need just the one Metformin to keep my levels down.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this sounds ridiculously high, but I have just done an FGB reading, and it came out as 13.0 mmol/l.
I often work during the night, and so I haven't been to sleep yet but I haven't had anything to eat for more than 8 hours. I'm going to read it again after I've had some sleep. I just don't know why it came out that high.
I now realise I'm going to have to keep an eye on this in a more systematic way.
How old are your test strips? And how high have your sugars been recently?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were your hands clean and were the strips in date? As you say lack of sleep, stress, illness are all also factors as well as food. Yes a systematic approach provides a lot more information to work with.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had a sleep for around 5 hours and tried it again, and my BG is down to 11.8 mmol/l. The strips are in date (until December) and I washed my hands. So I think this is my real FGB figure, as the other one was pre-sleep.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi, as I'm now taking 2 metformin tablets twice a day, can I ask the forum if there is any point in having the second daily dose at tea time if that meal will be zero carbs? Thanks.

NewI just had a sleep for around 5 hours and tried it again, and my BG is down to 11.8 mmol/l. The strips are in date (until December) and I washed my hands. So I think this is my real FGB figure, as the other one was pre-sleep.

Going back to your original question I certainly wouldn't be considering skipping Metformin doses with those BG readings.

Reactions: Languagelearner

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It won’t.. they want you to take it whatever. And it’s only recent years that doctors etc have ‘started’ accepting low carb works
My point is that there are no mention of any types of food to take the dose with, whether low carb, halal, kosher, vegan etc.

As you said it is for helping with any stomach problems that some people get. i was lucky I had no problems with it, and managed to get weaned off of it over a period of time under advice from my GP.

Edit: Clarify a point.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said. Metformin works in the longer term and the dose shouldn't be influenced by short-term carb intake i.e. take it regardless. Don't worry about FBG as the Dawn Phenomenon will affect results. Test 2 hours after a meal. If your readings stay high you may need further meds. Low-carbing is normally the way to go as well.

Reactions: EllieM