Cutting Metformin Extended Release in half

kmulani

My dads doctor has advised him to take half a tablet of Metformin 500 mg XR in the morning and half at night.

Any suggestions on whether splitting the medicine is a good idea or not as I've read on multiple sites that splitting the extended release tablets is not recommended but I'd prefer to hear from a first hand source.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm on 3 X 500mg metformin sustained release tablets a day. My doctor instructed me to take them all at once with my evening meal.

kmulani

The doctor is insisting that its fine to split the medication and to take the split doses twice a day and 250mg isnt available where I live unfortunately

Maris Piper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe the GP just wants your father to see what side effects he gets before introducing him to a higher dose? I’m just about to start on Gliclazide as Metformin didn’t produce the results my GP was hoping for. I’m to take it with dinner. It’s only 40 mg. The NHS site says take it with breakfast but the normal dose is 80mg. I’m 75 have a normal BMI and blood pressure and no outward symptoms of diabetes. I assume as we’re all different we also respond in different ways and our GP takes this into account.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctor is insisting that its fine to split the medication and to take the split doses twice a day and 250mg isnt available where I live unfortunately
Some types of extended release tablets have a protective coating which disolves slowly in the stomach. These should not be cut, disolved or chewed. The only tablets I would have confidence in cutting are those with a score mark. Does the leaflet give any clues about a protective coating?

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The leaflet information says "Swallow metformin hydrochloride extended-release tablets whole and never crush, cut or chew."

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks for the feedback :)

Double check the leaflet which comes with the tablets.
If it says not to cut, crush or chew, then don't. :)