First post - meter/numbers question

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After my routine blood tests a couple of months ago I had a phone consultation with the GP who told me I was prediabetic (stupid me did not get my actual numbers from him, so I've no idea at what end of the range my number landed). He wanted to refer me straight to a diabetes education class or person. I asked instead to have a re-test 3 months after the original test to see if I can do anything about it on my own.

Several years ago I lost a lot of weight by going low carb, I reckoned I didn't need at that point any other pointers in that direction. He agreed, so I'm being re-tested in early September.

So I've dropped the carbs and started to exercise more - I'd already started somewhat unenthusiastically before my blood test, but got my **** properly into gear after the phone call. So I'm hitting it on 3 fronts - low carb, lots more walking (the hot weather yesterday and today are knocking me off stride, but I do about 5 miles a day now, when heat isn't a factor), and intermittent fasting. This seems to be working a treat. I've managed to lose just over 10kg, I have about another 20 to go. Yeah, I really slipped off the wagon, though managed not to put back quite as much as I'd lost originally low carbing. (I took the 'intuitive eating' Kool-Aid. Turns out I intuitively eat bread and pasta ....)

I also got on here and a couple of other places and read all I could find. And then got myself a meter. I didn't do much research before I bought the meter so I've got a Sinocare one from Amazon.

The numbers it's been giving me have been fairly sensible, with variations that were not unexpected. Until this morning. It gave me a morning number of 3.9. I tested again, immediately, and got 5.0. Third time I got 4.7, which is the one I recorded (I've got the MySugr app)

The thing that's worrying me though is - how consistently low is it reading, if it even is consistent? Am I getting false reassurance from it, or should I pay attention more to the trends? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a different meter? I've just bought a pile of test strips for the blasted thing too.

If you get to the end of this thank you!

I love this place, I've learned so much from reading here the last few weeks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The numbers it's been giving me have been fairly sensible, with variations that were not unexpected. Until this morning. It gave me a morning number of 3.9. I tested again, immediately, and got 5.0. Third time I got 4.7, which is the one I recorded (I've got the MySugr app)

The thing that's worrying me though is - how consistently low is it reading, if it even is consistent? Am I getting false reassurance from it, or should I pay attention more to the trends? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a different meter? I've just bought a pile of test strips for the blasted thing too.
3.9 to 5.0 is within the error margin, and I'd have recorded it as 4.7 as well.
I expect you'll be nicely surprised when you have your next hba1c done! :)

Reactions: Widgets

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 to 5.0 is within the error margin, and I'd have recorded it as 4.7 as well.
I expect you'll be nicely surprised when you have your next hba1c done! :)

Thank you - I know there's wiggle room in the readings, this just seemed to be quite a large disparity. Or maybe my little finger doesn't get much glucose :-D

Thank you for the reassurance.

Reactions: Antje77

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hi Widget.
Sounds as if you know what you need to do But without knowing the starting point- how will you measure improvements? You could try phoning your doctor and ask for the actual figures. I had to do this when my doctor told me my results were "normal"
Also although Diabetes Prevention courses do vary, there may be something useful for you there. You wont know if you dont try it.
By the way congrats on a 10kg weight loss.2 and don't worry about the variation range of the meters.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm psyching myself up for the assault course that is the GP surgery phone system. The practice is great, but the phone system is ... baroque at times.

I will go to the course if it's offered again I think. As you say, there may be something in there - I did want to be armed with 'these are my numbers, this is what I've been doing' rather than going in cold, of course here I'm assuming that what I'm doing is moving the numbers in the right direction. Time will tell.

Thank you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm psyching myself up for the assault course that is the GP surgery phone system. The practice is great, but the phone system is ... baroque at times.

I will go to the course if it's offered again I think. As you say, there may be something in there - I did want to be armed with 'these are my numbers, this is what I've been doing' rather than going in cold, of course here I'm assuming that what I'm doing is moving the numbers in the right direction. Time will tell.

Thank you
If you are in Engand you should be able to register to get your test results online.
That then negates entirely the need to go through the receptionists.

Reactions: SlimLizzy

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A standard meter is allowed to be +/- 15% from more accurate lab blood draws. That's nearly a whole 1mmol/L on a standard reading of say 5.6.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are in Engand you should be able to register to get your test results online.
That then negates entirely the need to go through the receptionists.

I do use Patient Access but I've not got access to my test results on there, is there another system that I've missed?

Being able to not bother the receptionists would be great. They are a good/helpful bunch but very busy and short staffed (who'd've thought it in the current situation?)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do use Patient Access but I've not got access to my test results on there, is there another system that I've missed?

Being able to not bother the receptionists would be great. They are a good/helpful bunch but very busy and short staffed (who'd've thought it in the current situation?)

You need to register separately for your test results (and other things) on Patient Access. You do this by asking your surgery for the registration stuff. This involves you completing a consent form and giving some ID. The doctor then approves your request and you should then get them all on line. It is well worth it, for dozens of reasons, not least you will also get to see historic results, consultation notes, medical problems etc.

If you also download the ordinary NHS app (not the NHS Covid app) you can also dispense with patient access as they will all show up on the app.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We need to talk to the GP surgery today, so I'll try to remember to ask them what I need to do. Thanks!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You have to request to have the test results included.. it doesn't come along with it so far as I know.

andromache

Congratulations on your good progress. I must admit that I laughed out loud at your wry verdict on 'intuitive eating'.. :) Onward and upward.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd forgotten I'd made this post, but having been reminded of it I thought I would update here.

I got access to my test results on Patient Access - by mentioning it when I was talking to someone at the surgery who then clicked a button and let me into that part of the system. Very easy.

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic after blood tests in June. My test results tell me that my number had been going up by a point or so a year since I went on blood pressure medication in 2018. I was though only just into pre-diabetic territory at HbA1c of 43.

There's a nice graph on the website with gentle but definite upward gradient. Until the test I had at the end of last week which has just gone onto the system. As of 10th September it is now 35 mmol/mol. Which is a number that I am very happy with, but I am under no illusions that my metabolic system is 'fixed', I know that if I put weight back on (I've lost a lot in the last 3 months), or go back to bread, pasta, potatoes every day then that number will go back up. My granddad had horrible diabetic complications (he was diagnosed in the early 1970s, treatment was very very different then!). I may allow myself some more wiggle room, but I'm going to stay with the low carb, keep an eye on my numbers, and keep reading here.

This is one of the best communities on the 'net that I've come across.

Reactions: DevGuy