Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

5.9 today

Viv 8)

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

6.0 this morning which is due solely to stress. I am constantly surprised at how stress - even low level stress affects my levels. They came down to 4.2 after a brisk 4 mile walk after breakfast.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

You've had a lovely morning for your walk if it's as nice as it is down here.

5.1 at 08:30 - much better :D

Viv 8)

Hevab

6.3 this morning is that really bad I'm not sure what's going on with this and only have two stops left an no money to buy more

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

6.3 is fine, Hevab. Type 2 range for fasting BG is 4 - 7 , so you're well within that. You may well be getting a bit of Dawn Phenomenon, too, where your liver dumps a bit of glucose into your system to get you going in a morning.

Don't worry about people like me moaning about being in the 6s rather than the 5s. I control my carbs very strictly (usually!) and try to stay close to non-diabetic levels if I can. I was in the 6s and 7s when first diagnosed, and it takes a bit of time to get them down. Keep watching those carbs :D

Save those last 2 strips to test 2 hours after your main meal. That reading should be less than 8, according to the recommended range.

Viv 8)

Hevab

Thanks I was 7.7 when diagnosed two weeks ago the last couple do days I've been in the 5's and havnt changed my diet drastically yet.
I've also just revived another meter from Abbott I recived one Saturday I ordered thurs I no I only filled the form out once so now I have two lol. Lear it means I've got another 10 free strips

markd

4.6 before a very late breakfast today and also took the first A1c reading of the year; pleasantly surprised with it bearing in mind it covers Christmas and New Year.

MarkD.

Attachments

• AIC.jpg
    AIC.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,136

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

That's very good, Mark! HbA1c under 5 is my next target :D

After thinking about it a lot and talking to my doctor, I've decided to give the Slimfast restricted calorie diet a go for a month. NB I'm not trying to do the Newcastle Study diet, though I'm taking some ideas from it. I started on Wednesday, after being taken out for a really sinful meal on Tuesday night :oops: .

4 days in, my results for Saturday 21st were really impressive - 4.6 right across the day, except for one before-meal test of 4.4! I'm well impressed with that.

5.0 this morning.

For those of you who may not know me - I have gained very tight control, usually by low-carbing, so I expect to be under 6 most of the time. I've been at this for nearly 2 years, and it took me some time to get to these readings. Also I was caught very early, so my readings were never very high in comparison to some. So don't despair if yours are higher - you will come down gradually. I fall off the wagon spectacularly sometimes, just like I did over Christmas! :oops:

I'm starting a separate thread for my Slimfast diary, probably later today if I get some work finished, so I won't tie up this thread with my usual essays over the next month. :lol: :wink:

Viv 8)

markd

viviennem said:
That's very good, Mark! HbA1c under 5 is my next target :D
Viv 8)

Thanks - best of luck hitting your next target too.

Like you, I was caught early and although I've actually put on nearly a dozen pounds (of the 8-1/2 stone I lost initially) I'm still finding a very slow and slight improvement (except over holiday periods).

I've not done much exercise since November really, and am almost a stone up, yet I've just got my second-best ever A1c and fasting and PP is great.

I don't think I could stick with the 600 cal/day diet (though I am full of admiration for those that do), I wasn't counting accurately, but reckon I was on 1000 - 1200 cals/day with a lot of exercise, so my net calorie intake must not have been too far off.

Interested to hear how you get on with Slimfast - I'd tried it many years ago to lose weight in short bursts with some success, but really had to find a regime that would suit me permanently.

MarkD

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

8.5 stone loss is impressive :clap: - though come to think of it, that's my target loss too! I'm about half-way there now.

I'm really trying the Slimfast to shock myself back into a bit of self-discipline, which melted away completely over Christmas :roll: . I don't think I could cope with it for more than a month, but we'll see.Another advantage is that it's very cheap - I've worked out that my daily food bill at present is about £2.50, which helps at this time of year. But I really prefer my low-carb with plenty of meat, Atkins-style.

Viv 8)

A

Anonymous

markd said:
and also took the first A1c reading of the year;

You can take your own Hba1c readings ??????

Tell me ?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

5.0 at 07:30.

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

5.9 this morning.

That's the first fbg level under 6 since Christmas. (It must have been the influence of Didie yesterday at lunch keeping me on the straight and narrow)

markd

swimmer2 said:
markd said:
and also took the first A1c reading of the year;

You can take your own Hba1c readings ??????

Tell me ?

The meter you can see in the left of the picture is an A1c Now meter - costs around $25 for the meter and two test cartridges. I tend to use those once every month or six weeks rather than quite such frequent BG testing; easier on the fingers and more informatve overall in some ways.

I think the A1cNow meter is available in the UK. but I pick up a handful in Walmart, Walgreens or Target when I'm in the US a few times per year.

Sam's Club (the Walmart discount outlet) sometimes has them in shrink-wrapped packs of 5 for $99 rather than the $25-28 for a normal twinpack test.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayer-A1CNow- ... t/11332213

MarkD
I still get an 'official' test every six months, but find filling in the gaps reassuring.

MarkD

A

Anonymous

Thanks MarkD thats interesting.

3.5 this morning. I dropped my lantus down to 20 last night (normally 30) to try and get it a bit higher as i've been having hypo's overnight, but it doesn't seem to have done much.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Been getting results in the 6's recently, but after cutting my food intake and drinking lots of water yesterday it was 5.2 this morning :D

I'm happy, lets hope it isn't just a fluke.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

5.1 at 08:00 today.

Well done, Denise! :D

Viv 8)

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.

5.7 this morning, lowest figure i have managed to get so far so must be doing something right[losing weight and low carbs]. Used to be always over 8.

Andy

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

4.8 at 08:00 today. Opened the living room curtains (otherwise the neighbours come knocking to see if I'm okay :wink: ) and went back to bed for an hour. :shock:

It's good to have neighbours, though. You can't lie dead in this village!

Viv 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.